Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Rebuilding engine, anything I should do while its apart to stop it going bang again?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2004, 12:48 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDB out of a 93WRX, did No 2 and 3 big ends, everything else looks intact.

Being as a set of uprated internals is beyond me and people seem to get immense power out of standard internals, I was going to put it back the way it was with:

Roger Clark Oil pump.
New big end and main bearings
Have had the original crank polished and it seems fine.

Im not sure why it failed in the first place, the knocklink was fairly quiet and I was running standard boost.

The original piston rings look fine visually, is it worth replacing these? I was thinking of honing the bores as a precaution although they look pretty good.

Im about to purchase a gasket set, are there options on head gaskets and if so would it be worth fitting an uprated set?

Is it possible to clean the carbon deposits that have accumulated on the pistons?

I'm going to strip and rebuild the heads, see if they require a light skim etc, take the gallery plugs out of the block and make sure all is washed through clean and free from debris.

Anything Ive missed?

Pologies for the long post

Cheers muchly drivetrain gurus.

Andy
Old 14 January 2004, 07:45 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Consider STi forged pistons (lighter) assuming the WRX ones are cast.

How many miles did it have when it failed - seems silly not to the bores and rings at the same time?

Richard
Old 14 January 2004, 09:17 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Or Cosworth pistons, excellent design and do the piston rings (all 3 on each piston) whilst you are at it.

I also recommend fitting uprated con rods too. Pref billeted steel like PAR or something.

Whilst it is all apart do the oil pump, new bearings and get your crank checked.

Old 14 January 2004, 12:28 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You say uprated internals are beyond you. If you mean financially, there was something on here a while back that may be of interest:
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=255026
Old 14 January 2004, 12:40 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

That is very cheap. My main reason for not uprating is that people seem to have extracted monumental power from standard bits and I've heard of a few uprated engines fail, so not sure uprating internals is necessarily a safeguard against future failures.

Controlling the det and ensuring a clear lubrication path seem to be key if Ive interpreted what I've read on the board correctly (I've bought a scoobyecu for the rebuild).