Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

psi 13 normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2001, 10:33 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Just fitted a boost gauge to my MY99 (no other mods...yet) and I'm reading 13PSI max. Is that the norm? Sure I've read elsewhere that it's a bit low. If it is, how can I put it up to a 'normal' setting?

Richard.
Old 11 May 2001, 10:48 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

Richard,

My MY99 UK car was peaking at 14.5psi, but was only holding about 13.2psi according to the Powerstation the first time I used them. The second time the car peaked at 13.2psi, yet nothing had changed on the car???
Old 12 May 2001, 08:15 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,

Not sure where it is reading from - Falkland Performance Cars fitted it for me. I'll give them a buzz and try to find out (also to find out what boost gauge it is).

Good point on the fuel angle. I'm running normal UL - might try a few tanks of SUL and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Richard.
Old 12 May 2001, 08:24 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Meant to ask as well - how noisy is your SS mod? Keen on getting some stuff done to easy the breathing on the car and add some BHP (but nothing that adds tooo much noise to the car as I use it for business). Have you been happy with your mods?

Richard.
Old 12 May 2001, 03:07 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Richard
13psi (0.88 bar) is right for a 99MY, on a rolling road session mine held that figure on an accurate instrument to give 242 bhp. On the road the gauge reading is just below the 15psi line.
Cheers JohnD
Old 12 May 2001, 05:31 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

hi John,

Does psi give a good indication of BHP?

Mine reads 13/13.5 today on the road - so can I assume lower on a RR?

Thx for the help.
Rich
Old 12 May 2001, 10:29 PM
Meshwolf
Scooby Newbie

13 psi seem normal on an original motor. I don't think that the original 2-port solenoid will let you get more.

The reason I'm saying that is that when I installed my PossumLink I didn't have time to fit the 3-portsolenoid the first evening, so I drove around with the original for a day and peaked at 14 psi boost. After replacing it I ended up with 17 psi, and once, during a maladjustment, I peaked 23 psi (1.56 bar, 'Kids, don't try this at home!')...

I wonder how the original ECU would act with a 3-port.
Old 13 May 2001, 12:17 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scotsman:
<B>hi John,

Does psi give a good indication of BHP?

Mine reads 13/13.5 today on the road - so can I assume lower on a RR?

Thx for the help.
Rich[/quote]
Rich.
PSI reading and bhp will not necessarily have a linear relationship, there are too many other variables e.g. ignition timing, temperature, and of course engine design etc.
A rolling road applies resistance to rotation of the wheels and compares this to the force the engine is applying this indicates the power being transmitted. As long as the test is carried out in a higher gear (usually 4th) you should see maximum boost, at least until the revs approach max., it may then start to drop off.
My reading of "just under 15 psi" was, of course on the in-car gauge which cannot be gauranteed to be 100% accurate. If you would like to know the recommended proceedure for checking boost level on Cosworths for instance, try to borrow a copy of the official workshop manual, its not something you would try every day! (Not sure of the official Subaru method)
Regards JohnD
Old 13 May 2001, 08:11 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

solenoid? is that part of the turbo?

Rich
Old 13 May 2001, 02:24 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks John

Might just be content with the current boost level - and keep saving up for that ppp
Old 15 May 2001, 09:04 PM
Meshwolf
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scotsman:
<B>solenoid? is that part of the turbo?

Rich[/quote]

Nope. It's a separate gadget looking like a 2 inch long cylinder, with 2 pipes (original) and some electricity connected to it. In my car (LHD) I have it on the right side of the engine bay. The 3-ports are available from i.e. brdevelopments.

/P
Old 15 May 2001, 10:06 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Ah cheers Meshwolf.
Old 16 May 2001, 09:25 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<B>Meant to ask as well - how noisy is your SS mod? Keen on getting some stuff done to easy the breathing on the car and add some BHP (but nothing that adds tooo much noise to the car as I use it for business). Have you been happy with your mods?[/quote]

Richard,

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner!

The Scoobysport backbox makes a lovely noise, but isn't too loud in the car.

The Scoobysport downpipe does make it louder in the cabin, you hear the turbo spin up and it can drone a bit on a long motorway drive.

The mid-section I use is a Magnex centre with a resonator. Although the noise has been raised int he cabin, it's not too much.

A full scoobysport exhaust is a fair bit louder, and I've had a few friends who are constantly stopped byt he police due to the noise!!

Although it might be my friends are attracting more attention than people like me!!

I went in a car with a Scorpion downpipe and midsection, with a ScoobySport backbox, and their car was louder than at 50mph with the windows up, than mine at 80mph with the windows down!!!

Any queries, feel free to drop me a mail: andrewtang1@aol.com

Cheers
Andy
Old 16 May 2001, 06:49 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

No probs Andy

Something I do fancy getting - perhaps towards the end of the summer Have to keep the noise down though. Should get myself to some meets - that way I can hear it all first hand.

Rich.