Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Will a downpipe realy make a big difference

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2001, 09:32 AM
scoobs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Been considering a new downpipe for some time now. Current state of car is as follows.

MY00 UK Turbo
Unichip (PS installed)
EVC IV Boost controller (running 1.15bar)
Magnex centre (no resonator)
Magnex 3 1/2 round rear
Samco intercooler hoses.

If I was to get say the new magnex downpipe, what performace, noise increases should I expect.

Thanks

Jon
Old 15 May 2001, 09:53 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Why did you get a unichip without having bought the downpipe first?

Performance per pound is much better this way!

Not only that, but after fitting the downpipe I would expect you to need a remap of the uni chip which is going to cost more money and time.

Performancewise it is well worth it.

On a uk turbo with I believe is a small td04 unit, the scoobysport is probably the best option. To my knowledge the magnexi s a2.5 inch system, so you dont want to start with a three inch downpipe and restrict further down the line.

The noise will be louder, but full scoobysport systems are not loud by performance exhaust standards. The turbo will spin up 500 to 1000 rpm quicker as a result of better scavenging of exhaust gases and the fact that the wastegate exit is no longer blocked.

To add to this the cat in your downpipe will be removed which will massively reduce restriction and add to turbo noise which is a good thing.

You will no longer have any cats, which will mean mot failure, but this isnt due for two years or so, and a twin catted centre section can be added for those purposes when necessary.
Old 15 May 2001, 11:16 AM
megastream
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Do you know who supplies twin catted centre sections then?? and how much wonger?

Old 15 May 2001, 11:58 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

You wouldn't need to bu one, just borrow one when the time comes for mot purposes.

I couldn't possibly mention who has one, it would be unjust. Needless to say they exist when you need to use them!
Old 16 May 2001, 12:11 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Yes mate do it!

Noise, power and smiles..... what more can you ask from any mod? especially one that cheap

Old 16 May 2001, 08:21 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Ive heard that Essex is good for double cats.

Cant remember any more than that tho, ho hum

robski
Old 16 May 2001, 03:24 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Thumbs up

Jon,

on PS rollers my car (MY94 with unichip and decat centre pipe and SS backbox) developed 239bhp at 16psi. When I changed to a SS downpipe it developed 265bhp at 16psi - but, did experience some problems with overboosting. This was resolved with the fitting of restrictors (as I have no EBC) it it now holds at 17psi.

You should not experience the same problem with your EBC.

One thing I am a little interested in is the comment of remapping (by Adam) as I said the same to PS when I took the car back - they stated that it would not need remapping after fitting a downpipe?

Jon, what figures does yours produce?
Old 16 May 2001, 03:37 PM
scoobs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mo

My figure were about the same as yours.. 242bhp at 16psi. The problem we had was that after all the runs on the rolling road, the car was so hot that Rich could not get any more out of her as she was starting to Det. He did say that if I had any other breathing mods done to the car then it is best to map the unichip again. I am not convinced the map is as good as it could be because the car was so hot when Rich was trying to map it.

Jon
Old 16 May 2001, 03:57 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Fitting restrictors to control boost?

don't likle that at all .

Don't understand what powerstation are talking about.

To my knowledge you should remap after any change that will affect the map even centre section, never mind a downpipe.

When you improve the breathing of the engine, by induction or exhaust changes, I would expect the car to run leaner.

In fact when R19KET fitted his new headers, he needed to put in 25% extra fuel in some places to bring the lambda to the same level as before the mod, although there was a leak in the up pipe, which migth explain some of this firgure.

Leaning out after modification is a normal symptom of a power increase, and as such would require a remap, especially when running a jecs with uni chip, as the jecs runs s fixed map when running at wide open throttle and therefore will not automatically supply the extra fuel needed.

With this in mind, I would ceratainly have the unichip remapped, but then it isn't my car .