Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2001, 10:57 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi
i have seen few oil cooler kits advertised the cheapest of which is £250 + vat. i have seen the various bits and pieces advertised at demon tweeks for a lot cheaper. is there a reason for that ?

does any on know exactly what bits do you need to make up an oil cooler kit ?

cheers
Old 01 May 2001, 12:19 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Question

Nito,

'Scuse my ignorance but how are you going to prevent the oil from draining back out of the cooler and lines after you switch the engine off? Obviously, if that happens, there will be a problem with oil pressure when you start up again. I can remember fitting a cooler vertically some years ago and it had to be positioned in a particular way to stop it draining but I'm darned if I can think what it was

Raymond (In curious mode)
Old 01 May 2001, 09:12 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm making one up as we speak to fit in the scoop where my old tmic used to go. The cooler cost me 45+vat and the sandwich plate cost about £12+vat. Total £70ish. I now need two braided hoses with the fittings on the end and this is it. The sandwich plate spaces the oil filter out just over an inch and is a block with two threads drilled in to accept the two hoses that carry the oil to and back from the oil cooler.

The pre made kits are expensive because you're paying for the fact that someone else has decided where to position them etc and it's a solution for the scoob without messing about.

The only other thing you may want is to re-locate the oil filter elsewhere which requires a take off plate. I'm going to see how low my oil filter will sit once the sandwich plate is in and if it is I'll go for a relocation take off plate which means two more hoses and the plate. Shouldn't cost much more than £20. The other you can do is fit a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate so that the oil cooler will only start cooling at a certain temp so it doesn't hamper warm up. I don't think this is necessary on a scoob as it warms up pretty quick anyway.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on!

rgds
Nito

Cooler
2 hoses with fittings
Sandwich plate
Maybe some sort of bracket to hold cooler (should be v easy to make one up!)

optional
thermostatically controlled cooler
Oil filter re-location kit
2 hoses for above
Old 01 May 2001, 09:27 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sam,

The Mocal agent for the UK is
Old 01 May 2001, 01:58 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Interesting Raymond,

I can't think it being too much of a problem if the oil drains out of it, after all, oil also drains from everywhere in the engine back down to the sump when the engines off. At 8 bar oil pressure on start up I wouldn't think it would take long at all to fill back up with oil. Remember you'd probably fill the engine with more oil (extra half litre or so!) to take into account the extra capacity of the cooler and the hoses.

I'll keep an eye on oil temp and oil pressure nevertheless. I'm hoping to have it up and running by the end of the week or early next week, so I'll let you all know how I get on!

Nito
Old 01 May 2001, 08:57 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

cheers guys keep them coming.

can any one of hte people who bought these kits comment on what they included ? were they worth that much money ?

NITO keep us posted please as i am in the process of getting a FMIC so an oil cooler would be a must. i am trying to keep the money side of thing down a bit.

cheers

sam
Old 01 May 2001, 11:25 PM
GraemeF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi NITO,

Yeah, I'd be interested in more details / piccies ofthe oil cooler your working on.
I am also one of a few that are looking at a FMIC so the idea to utilise the extra space generated by having the standard IC removed looks good to me...

Graeme
Old 01 May 2001, 11:42 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

gavin
thanks for the link. but do you know what size would fit the impreza ? and also are these kits suppose to fit any car, just find a place for it to go ?

cheers

sam
Old 02 May 2001, 12:44 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

FWIW there's a pic of a GTi-4 in the latest Japanese Performance with an oil cooler mounted where the intercooler used to be so I guess it must work.