Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECUTEK or PPP ECU - which is best/most reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2004, 10:38 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm looking at either a 2nd hand ECUTEK ECU or a 2nd hand PPP ECU and am not sure which I should go for.

I've an MY00 car with full system and K&N induction and soon to have HKS SSQV. Other than that I don't really intend to do any more engine mods for at least 12 months if at all.

Granted the ECUTEK will be mapped for the original car until I get it mapped specifically to my car so it may not be too safe at first but eventually it could be custom mapped to my car.

However, the PPP is more "off the shelf" conservative map so presumably it won't be too stressing to the engine. If I want to go further with mods I can always sell on the PPP and ECUTEK my original OE ECU.

I know there is an ECUTEK group buy but funds are limited for a while so 2nd hand is best option for me at the moment.

TIA

[Edited by EddScott - 1/8/2004 10:40:28 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 12:58 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granted the ECUTEK will be mapped for the original car until I get it mapped specifically to my car so it may not be too safe at first
That's a big problem, isn't it? Is it a TeK2 or 3, and do you know the general spec of the car it came off? If you know the donor car was of very similar spec, it may be a good match, but, conversely, running this ECU in your car could cause it to run in an unsafe manner. Also, is the EcuTeK licence still open? If not, getting it remapped would cost you just as much as a vanilla unit.

However, the PPP is more "off the shelf" conservative map so presumably it won't be too stressing to the engine. If I want to go further with mods I can always sell on the PPP and ECUTEK my original OE ECU.
Correct.

I know there is an ECUTEK group buy but funds are limited for a while so 2nd hand is best option for me at the moment.
If funds are limited the last thing you need is an engine blow-up, so in the absence of any further information, the PPP ECU seems like a safer bet. In these circumstances though, spending a load of money on an unnecessary aftermarket dump valve seems like an odd move!

Old 08 January 2004, 01:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Well spotted, my magpie-like need to aquire shiney baubles was too great

Thanks for the advice tho. I think the PPP is best all round and should do me anyway as I'm not after big power figures

And if the worst comes to the worst and she blows I'll just have to re-mortgage the house.

Again

Edit/ One thing tho, is it just a straight swap ECU for ECU. My car did have a PPP before I bought it and the previous owner said he had to have the keys matched to the ECU?

[Edited by EddScott - 1/8/2004 2:00:47 PM]
Old 08 January 2004, 02:37 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Done this myself in the past with no need to mess about with the keys. The OE immobiliser module is a separate box, not part of the ECU itself, so no reason why it shouldn't be a straight swap.
Old 08 January 2004, 05:09 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sell the BOV and help pay towards the cost of buying a Tek 3 map for your car as another option?

Matt
Old 09 January 2004, 09:41 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Say I went for a new TEK 2 remap specifically for my car would that be better than the PPP? My car has full de-cat system, K&N induction and soon a HKS SSQV. I've got some monitoring stuff to go on too (AFR meter, Knocklink, Boost etc)

With the TEK 2 I wouldn't be looking for maximum power just want the car set up specifically to mods I've got.

Old 09 January 2004, 10:03 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Prodrive PPP ECU is a std map designed to work with all MY99/00 cars together with the Prodrive exhaust (i.e. decat centre + backbox).

On a full decat car it has been known to cause boost spikes, so you may need to change the restrictor.

Any car can blow-up and you wouldn't be covered by any warranty if a 2nd-hand PPP was fitted. Obviously the chances of it blowing-up are small and mostly likely to be caused by something other than the ECU map e.g. dodgy batch of fuel causing excess detonation.

The Tek 2 again is a std off-the-shelf remap designed similar to the PPP. If you want a custom remap for your specific car, then AFAIK it's a Tek 3.

Not sure how the mappers look at these versions if you buy a 2nd-hand EcuTek mapped ECU. i.e. if you find a Tek 2 and would like something changed, then will they happily do this on a cost per/hr basis (assuming the license has been left open).

At the end of the day you'll be running an increase in boost with either ECU and the maps will be altered from the original AE801/AE802.

If I were you I would ask what differences there are between your cars std ECU map, the Prodrive PPP and a Tek 2.

Stefan
Old 10 January 2004, 08:05 AM
scoobsteve
Scooby Regular

The "off the shelf" tek 2 re-map is optimised for running on otherwise standard de-catted cars.

Therefore it should be more compatible for your car, and also offer a bit more power than the ppp ecu, which is mapped for a catted downpipe.

I'm currently running a tek 2 ecu with no problems so far, and it does feel quite a bit quicker than the standard map