Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Damn coil packs.

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2004, 10:44 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Grrr. I changed the plugs tonight thinking it would help out a minor missfire.

I've made it 10 times worse at more 4k RPM. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
But at least it's better up to 3k RPM now

Looks like I'll be doing some expensive shopping tomorrow. I need some sympathy, as I will have to let the moths out of my wallet!
Old 07 January 2004, 10:47 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I know how you feel. When i was chasing my misfire (fuel pump) i took the coils out to test them.... all seemed fine. Then a couple of days later one of them failed .

You have my sympathy, and your wallet does too

Tony.
Old 07 January 2004, 10:54 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I'm hoping it is only a coil, and that I can get something sorted out to fit at the weekend.

Why is it there is never any time or money for performace enhancements & tarty bits?

How goes life with the Link ECU? I'm making semi-reasonable progress with my OE mapping now, as I've just about cracked my fuel crisis now. I have a plan for the mechanical bits now too, just need some time to do the drawings for the bits I want made - and then I need to sneak them out of the house!
Old 07 January 2004, 11:35 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The Links fantastic, compared to remapping the JECS the only thing that i don't like is the fact it's only 6 rows and you can't scale these . Love the fact i can just go to the car plug the USB lead from the ecu into the laptop and make as many changes as i want. Doing the eproms used to take for ever, just too time comsuming .

Just need to order the Techedge wideband thingy now, i've had the sensor sat ready for about 3 months now!!!

Touch wood it is just a coil pack, mine was so bad you could tell just by looking at the plugs (i.e. 3 were all nice and sooty and one was clean due to all the fuel on it!!)

Tony.
Old 08 January 2004, 05:37 AM
rroberrto
Scooby Regular

Might I suggest the Innovate Motorsports LM-1 instead of the Techedge? I'm using it on my Link V5(MY00), with its programmable output I'm currently running my Link in full lambda mode, and apparently achieving excellent results, mileage and power-wise.
Old 08 January 2004, 07:59 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers, i'll have a look at that.

Tony.
Old 08 January 2004, 09:42 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dnd,

Check the earths at the ecu and add two extra ones..

Mine was highlighted by the fitment of a Link but the same earths are used by both..

There are two pairs of earth pins on the ecu, one set on mine was no longer earthed where the earth connection to the body work has corroded so much!

I had an infrequent miss fire at 4500rpm in first only on the original ecu..
miss fire at high boost in 3rd , 4th at 4500rpm on the link.. added the earths and miss fire has gone..

I can email you the Link manual which shows the earth pins..

Worth a try.

Also regarding coil packs.. if this is the first time they have been replaced you might notice as I did that replacing one is false economy. I bought one.. fitted it and thought I would move it around until I found the fault.. fitted it and the problem was still there but the car drove so much smoother and low down power was improved that I had to replace the other 3 as well.
If they are all five years old then byte the bullet and replace all four or convert to the wasted spark and get a two coil with ht leads on there etc.

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2004, 01:44 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Simon - thanks. I did the earthing thing 18 months ago to fix something else... Will check it to make sure the wire's not got snagged on anything though. (Possible, as the ECU has been moved around a lot lately.)

Already got the pre97 link manual - the last page is the one you're refering to, isn't it?

The misfire happens every time now, when the load gets to a certain level. (Not quite RPM based)

I know what you're saying about replacing all 4. My "localish" dealer only keeps one in stock, so I thought it better than special ordering 4 & finding the problem was something really stupid!!

It's quite a difficult decision whether to go wasted spark and separate coils, or stick to coil packs... Both will perform well enough for the power I'm aiming for, but the advantage for me is that the coil packs don't use up any space around the engine, and don't make the inlet manifold taller...

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 08 January 2004, 02:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Thought you would probably have it already covered but worth mentioning just in case.

Yes the last page in the Link manual was the one I meant.

Hope you sort it

Simon
Old 08 January 2004, 02:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Thought you would probably have it already covered but worth mentioning just in case.

Yes the last page in the Link manual was the one I meant.

Hope you sort it

Simon