Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction kits on pre97

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2001, 10:45 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've presently got a MY96 with a k+n panel filter.

Am I better off with the k+n 57i induction kit or similar? Is there any appreciable difference in power to warrant the £70 price difference?(£40-£110) Is it worth going that bit extra for a HKS system(£185)?

I've heard horror stories about replacing that little sensor thingy in the standard airbox when you fit an induction kit and how it causes weak running.

Any comments on any induction kits would be welcome.

Cheers

Richard
Old 25 April 2001, 04:12 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

I want to know as well. Come on you buggers!

Old 25 April 2001, 06:06 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

The early cars had a different type of Air Flow Meter which is much less fragile.

I have been running a Pipercross induction kit on my 94 WRX for 18 months with no problems whatsoever.

The only time people run into problems with early cars is when they clean the filter and go mad spraying the special oil on it.

As the element in the early AFM is fairly robust, you can clean it anyhow with a cotton bud and some luke-warm water....

A sensible precaution when you fit the kit anyhow.

Personally, I would avoid the Blitz filter as several people have said it doesn't filter down to the same level as foam/cotton but I don't have any direct experience of this so I would recommend that you do a search.

Also be aware that induction kits on early models are quite noisy as the original blow-off valve is fairly small - think "Darth Vader after running the London Marathon" .

Thanks

Gavin
Old 25 April 2001, 06:22 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

I beleive your fine with most induction kits on pre99 cars, I've really gone into this in a big way due to massive problems last year on the yellow STi6 I bought from Maclure Performance, I went for a HKS and it blew the air flow sensor twice, I'm awaiting an IG panel filter as we speak from Scoobysport, if you want any more in depth info mail me off line with a contact number and I'll reply.
Old 25 April 2001, 10:31 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

Have any of you seen or used the Generation II K&N Induction kits? If you haven't got a clue what I am going on about and have Demon Tweeks' 2001 Catalogue handy, then look at P.66 Noticed this a while ago, but haven't heard a thing on the grapevine here about them. They look promising......

Cheers,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Mr Footlong (edited 25 April 2001).]
Old 25 April 2001, 10:57 PM
danamber18
Scooby Newbie

Smile

ive just fitted a K&N cone to my 94 WRX and it sounds like a dump valve, i also took away the resonator box from inside the wing for extra air flow, so far their has been no problems. I bought the filter from a guy who smashed up his MY98 uk scooby and it just bolted straight on!
Old 26 April 2001, 11:26 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers for the replies guys,

Footlong,

have seen them in Demon Tweeks, that's what made me first think to post this thread. They look the dog's don't they?

Mellow,

hello again,
did the HKS unit give you decent power hike per £?

QUESTION for all,

on my 96 uk, I've got a k+n panel filter, in the airbox lid there's the sensor thingy, but before this is a circular piece of mesh which didn't seem to serve any purpose so I took it out. I've also removed the resonator box and replaced it with a cold air pipe which feeds from the slats at the side of the foglight (I removed the blanking plate and meshed it off) straight into the airbox.

Since doing this the car runs like **** off a shovel but if I don't use the car for a few days, when I start up it runs like cr@p
(kangaroo petrol)until i've run it for a mile or two, then it's fine

is it the removing of the mesh that's done it or the fitment of the pipe? any ideas?

That was my main worry about an induction kit, might this bu99er things up further?
or would removing the sensor make things ok?

do induction kits on early models replace that sensor or is it just removed?

HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!

Rich
Old 26 April 2001, 07:41 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rich,
The bit of mesh is to protect the air flow sensor from any debris that might get through the filter,I left mine on because i didnt think it would make any difference to the air flow.
Colin
Old 27 April 2001, 10:37 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

I have the Blitz induction kit on my MY96 and it made quite a difference. Infact, if you check out the dyno site, good results are obtained through fitting this kit, so I don't know why everyone had damned it so much.

Ob by the way, did I mention it's for sale 'cause I'm changing cars? Checkout the posting in the Private forum!

Karlos