Knock Link.

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2001, 02:51 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello,

Just read the 'So far So good...' thread. Got me wondering about knock. Mine has detted occasionaly in 4th at about 2thou. I drive around this. I use 3rd. (More noise.)

Can a Knock Link be fitted to a standard ecu car? I don't at the moment have pots of cash to throw at the car so don't want to buy a whole ECU replacement.

I always run the car on Super, and am investigating Octane booster. But now worried about the orange dust produced as mentioned on another thread. (Me paranoid? NO!)

Any experiences or advice welcomed.

P.

Posted here so as not to drive my usual source of info up the wall with my questions!
Hello SL.
Old 06 April 2001, 05:43 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Sith,

Yes - the knocklink is a completely stand-alone item comprising a seperate knock sensor and display unit.

Zero interaction with the existing knock sensor and hence your ECU.

Regards,

Alex
Old 06 April 2001, 10:42 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Dude.

Now to investigate the price.

P.
Old 07 April 2001, 06:55 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Sith hoe do you know you have detting if you d'ont have a knocklink?Anyway, I've just had one fitted and the knocklink and sensor cost£132.00.About an hours labour to fit.Good luck.(Scoobymania or BRD can supply)
Old 07 April 2001, 09:21 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Sith
I asked brdevelopments yesterday and they said £200 supplied and fitted.
Ron
Old 07 April 2001, 11:28 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Hi Deep,

I had a strange tinkling sound from the engine which sounded like pinking, which I believe is Det. Could be wrong though. And wasn't there before the DP swap. It now does it occasionaly hence why I drop to a lower gear at 2thou.
Also been told that it detted on the way back from having it fitted. Knock Link will give me peace of mind and alow me to drive round it.

If I'm spouting excriment please tell me!

Cheers for the price information from you chaps.

P.

[This message has been edited by Sith (edited 07 April 2001).]
Old 08 April 2001, 09:36 AM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

I heard det once. An irregular mettalic whisping/tinkling sound, is my best description. The sound was also confirmed by my knocklink lighting up to the red LED, i put it down to heat build up and bad fuel at the time (never happened again). I sometimes get 1 green LED when pushing (always above 4000rpm and on boost).

Trending Topics

Old 08 April 2001, 10:10 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

Hi all!

Det sounds like two small pieces of metal hittin eachother... a bit like dropping a pin in a metal tin.

If you can hear it then you have big problems. Even a pretty "severe" det is not normally audible from the cabin! That's why tuners use det cans, which connect to the block so you can listen for det. With these you can also hear "sparkle", the onset of det, the noise becomes "brighter" but without the pin in metal tin noise... any more advance or temp and it's det city.

The knocklink will show background noise and sparkle, so if it's giving you a big red, you know it's detting even if you can't hear it (it's quite sensitive).

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 08 April 2001, 12:15 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Sith I am in no position to say you are talking excrement because I myself have almost made an art of it.I just did'nt realise you could tell that the engine was detting like that.Tuners often haave to use a sthescoscope to listen for knocking.But as I said I usually talk complete excrement myself so hopefully one of the more knowledgeful guys will explain.
Old 08 April 2001, 04:10 PM
adam99rs
Scooby Regular

Pat - on flat motors though, det is actually quite easy to hear. When uilding my turbocharged Ej25 motor in the last vaiation of my scoob, we heard detonation occassionallyin the summer montsh when trying to finalize a good boost setting on the street on the T3/T4. When I finally decided to go with a somewhat built STi 4 EJ20, we took my EJ25 apart...you could eat off the psiton tops...a bit brownish in color, robably from the high fuel pressure I ran and the larger fuel pump, but ero pitting, as you would see in a badly detonating motor.

One "cheap" solution is to simply fit plugs one step colder than stock. The Knock Link (or J&S, HKS kncock moniter, etc.) all work well as well, though I have only tuned with them on others cars, not my own. The stock knock sensor retards up to 6 degrees, which I think is more than enough if the rest of your car is setup correctly.
Old 09 April 2001, 12:40 AM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Sith,

This is a knocksensor:

This is being removed from my old car(hence screw is nearly out) the other end of the cable is the KnockLink unit which only requires supply from 12volt.

Phil.
P.s Its being installed in my new car, as its too good to give away.
Old 09 April 2001, 03:06 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for all the info chaps. Great picture Clarey, always wondered what it looked like and where it went.
Going to monitor the car over the next few weeks. It really is only used at the weekends. When a bit more money is available, it looks like I will have to get fitted. Still looking at Octane Booster though as a solution as the Det only happens occasionally, and at certain loads.

Do you think the Octane booster will fix it? UK car.

Cheers,

P.
Old 09 April 2001, 11:56 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I can't see why a UK car would ever need to run with octane booster to prevent det unless you'd had the ecu swapped. What other mods do you have?

Stef.
Old 10 April 2001, 07:42 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I fitted a knocklink to a my00 PPP with ss d/p & induction mods after being worried about the duration of peak boost - about 1 second at 1.3 bar didn't seem too healthy

However, I've detected no knock after a week of abuse....tapping the block lightly next to the sensor lights the red, but normal running doesn't ever get past the first green....extreme abuse sometimes flashes the 2nd green too

Mind you - the weather isn't quite as cold now.

If you *think* you're getting det....get it checked! Either bad fuel or a fault will cause det on a UK car (imho ) - det will kill your engine remarkably quickly when on full boost...and you *will not* hear it. Knocklink is an excellent investment.

Richard
Old 10 April 2001, 03:32 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Hi chaps,

Stef, SS DP, SS BB, standard centre. As far as I know, a standard ecu. Checked the reg with Prodrive who had no note of a PPP being fitted.

Just worried as it was pinking at 2thou under load in 4th. Seems intermitant. It may not be doing it in a boost situation.

Richard,

How quickly is quickly?

P.
Old 11 April 2001, 10:40 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

I have a MY99 (Phase 2) engine, rather than the phase 1 engine in the picture.

I had a look at the bolt in a similar position to the photo, but it's not long enough to hold the knock sensor in place.

Is there a different place to install the knock sensor on my car? Or do I need a longer bolt? If so, what sort of size and where can I get one from?

Cheers
Andy
Old 12 April 2001, 06:47 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Andy - I *think* it's an M8 bolt. On the my99/00 I was advised to fit it to one of the bolts on the rhs intercooler bracket.

Just take one of the bolts out (there's 2) and head to your nearest hardware store for a longer one with the same thread.

Sith - no idea....be sure to let us know if you find out

Richard
Old 14 April 2001, 11:54 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Dowser! Very reasuring.

Went out earlier, did it again in 4th at 2k. Changed to 3rd - happy as larry! Going to see if I can take out my mate and scare him silly....oops I mean demonstate the problem.

P.
Old 15 April 2001, 04:55 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
i had pinking o n my last car ( a wrx)i solved the prob by ALWAYS filling with shell super unleaded. it was the only brand that has 98 octane that i know of, all the other supers were 97 and i got pinking from them

Old 17 April 2001, 11:24 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

SN.
No garage has been selling 98RON fuel for yonks, despite what the stickers may have said on the pump. They all changed to 97, and are all still 97.

Stef.