Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

New D/P versus Commuting every day...

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2001, 12:53 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm sorry to raise the ugly spectre of yet another Down-pipe question, but having been considering one for God knows how long and checking out the posts, I felt it was my turn...

Now that I'm not worried about redundancy, and I've got a bit o'cash to spend could you all pipe (hah!) in with some recommendations on the following points, please?

My car is an MY99 with an SS Back-box and Ram-Air filter (Dodgy filter, I know).

1. Do I inform my insurance company (who know about the back-box) ? As the D/P only improves throttle-response and not actual power?

2. Will it affect MPG adversely?

3. How much more noise can I expect? I thoroughly enjoy my car, but now I use it to commute 50 miles a day on the motorway. What racket will it produce cruising at 80 mph?

Mind you, I used to drive a TR7V8 everyday, which sounded...Nice!

4. D/P, fair enough...But is it really worth changing if I keep my catted centre section?

Thanks for your time,
Squizz.
Old 05 April 2001, 01:48 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I had a d/p on my MY99 with SS BB, induction kit and straight through centre section.

Noise was fine for 30000 miles per year, only audible at 80mph when put foot down
MPG improved by 3-4mpg after fitting d/p
YES tell insurance company - but describe as new stainless steel exhaust.
Change the centre section as well you know you want to.. only need cost c£60
Old 05 April 2001, 04:04 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Old 05 April 2001, 06:09 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with Gary C.
I do about 25k miles per yr with full SS decat system.
70 mph is just like ss backbox noise - 80 mph you hear it.
Fuel isn't adversley affected - maybe better.
And the tickover burble in traffic jams gets people looking!! I used to have a V8 - it's the nearest you'll get to that terrific V8 sound!
You know you want to .....
Old 05 April 2001, 06:38 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Squizz:
<B>1. Do I inform my insurance company (who know about the back-box) ? As the D/P only improves throttle-response and not actual power?

2. Will it affect MPG adversely?

3. How much more noise can I expect? I thoroughly enjoy my car, but now I use it to commute 50 miles a day on the motorway. What racket will it produce cruising at 80 mph?

4. D/P, fair enough...But is it really worth changing if I keep my catted centre section?
[/quote]

Squizz,

1. Yes you should tell the insurance company.

2. I found it only gave less mpg, because I drove it harder! The mpg depends on how you drive your car, and there isn't a major difference.

3. There is more noise, as you can hear the turbo spool up in the cabin. I have a SS downpipe, SS backbox and a Magnex centre and there is a bit of a drone at 80mph. I find it bearable, but it get's a lot worse when accelerating!

4. The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the downpipe, and I ran my old UK MY97 with just a SS downpipe and SS backbox, keeping the standard centre cat. The old cat was louder than my current car!!

If you are not concerned about running a car with cats, then change the centre as well. You can get Pete to make up a centre pipe with a resonator, or use a Magnex centre with a resonator.

I've got good performance without the noise that some guys have.

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 06 April 2001, 11:11 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Squizz,

How does using 4th instead of 3rd for the same overtake sound?

MPG appears to have gone down a little . At a steady 70 it is just under 3000rpm. Cruise at 80 (mee maw mee maw, surely not officer!) mine sits at 3300 rpm developing boost in 5th. But truth be told, I probably boot it more in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Oooooohhhh the noise. (And I'm spent! )

Cruising isn't too bad, but it does make more noise. More boomy, but easy to live with.

Certainly tell the insurance company. I explained that it ups torque and comes on boost slightly earlier. They wanted to know about BHP gains, explained that opinion is divided and that the rolling roads for testing vary, and some show an increase and some don't. As it isn't adding huge horses they were happy.

I have my catted centre in place still. How long it will last I don't know. As Andy says, it still sounds great and pulls like a train.

I have a Ram air panel filter as well.

P.
Old 07 April 2001, 12:00 PM
AlanW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Squizz,
Get one now. I had mine fitted, when before I had a straight mid and rear from Milltek. There is slightly more bass but not noticeable when driving normally. It is much louder when you thrash it of course, but that whats you'd expect.

Proof of the pudding is that my missus hasn't even noticed any change in sound before and after the D/P was fitted.

I commute 200 miles a day and I love it. Fortunately only once per week as every day to the smoke would peev me off big time.

Cheers

Alan
Old 07 April 2001, 01:17 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oooh...I think I'm going to have to do it...

As I don't have a P1, I don't think too much overboost will be a problem!

I was very impressed when I test drove a PPP equipped RB5 some months ago. I enjoyed the extra torque and the animal-like snarl of the exhaust note higher up the range - However, £2K is a bit steep. Despite all the warranty malarky.

I'm just left wondering about an MOT if I replace the mid-section. But I guess if I keep the cat and get the garage to swap it over before/after for a few quid, then as it's only once a year everyone will be happy.

Sounds like about £410 quid for D/P and mid-section fitted by the Scoobysport boys...

And I'm supposed to be saving for my wedding!

Thanks for all your enthusiastic & informative responses guys.

Cheers,
Squizz
Old 07 April 2001, 01:26 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Your convincing me now

I'm in a similar situation - I do an 50 mile roundtrip commute and I wondered whether the noise would be too much. Might just have to look into this....

Chris
Old 07 April 2001, 01:44 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Squizz,

Be careful if you go for the full SS straight through job. It will be a lot louder than most who have a Magnex centre sections with the resonator. I've got the full SS exhaust (MY99) and my mate with a SS DP Magnex centre and milltek BB can hear my car when we BOTH accelerate hard . You might want to do it in stages and get the DP first and see what it sounds like. Mind you I love the sound mine makes (bit like a NASCAR V8) and as others have said it is not that much louder cruising at 70mph, honest .

DaveW
Old 07 April 2001, 11:14 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris, chris, chris, my dear man. It is your duty to get one of these pipes. If you get one, we will almost have the same system.

Gisa shout on email. I'm not going tomorrow.

If you no longer have my mail address, shout here and I will email you.

P.
Old 08 April 2001, 08:53 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Question

Well, I've gotta be careful what I say here, because my future wife is watching intently...Not best pleased about my plans to fritter away £400+ !!!

But, as luck would have it, a friend of a friend (wink, wink, nudge. nudge, say no more... ) has got some kind of full scoob system that I can have (Hopefully - Right, Fizz?).

Current thinking is its an HKS Hiper-dragger system, complete.

Wossat like then?? Especially if it means I just have to pay for fitting.

After all, Karen might let me have it then!!!

Did someone mention NASCAR V8 ? woof, woof...!
Old 09 April 2001, 10:15 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Paul

Sorry mate - haven't looked at this thread for a couple of days. Still considering the DP - also got to look at the brakes though, so they might need to be done first. However, if I have a few quid hanging around doing nothing next month....

Cheers
Chris
Old 09 April 2001, 10:35 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris,

No probs. If you want a listen give me a shout. No doubt you've heard Danny F's while it was on.

Your brakes need doing! I've got the good old naff 2 pots. Fine in the cold weather though.

Enjoy,

P.
Old 10 April 2001, 08:09 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sith - ever considered a career in sales?

Chris
Old 10 April 2001, 03:21 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL @ Chris.

oooh, suits you sir, oohh.

Chris,

When you have bought the DP, you can then justify the brakes. As the AD goes - To hear one, is to want one!

P.
Old 10 April 2001, 03:29 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Chris, that was you I spotted on the 25 the other day? If you want to listen to a straight through system, just ask!

Old 10 April 2001, 09:18 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Fosters

Certainly was me - might have to take you up on that offer when I get a back from the Ring

Chris
Old 11 April 2001, 11:06 PM
AlanW
Scooby Regular

Just for clarity, my Milltek centre has a resonator, which is one of the reasons I bought it, other reason was that it was cheap @ £300 for mid and back box fitted. D/P is a scorpion. You'll notice a big difference in the mid range and top end. Also the turbo spins up earlier

Alan