Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

00MY Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2001, 03:16 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How many of you out there have had trouble with clutch judder on a 00MY turbo? At what miles? Is this still a problem on this year car? also did you get the clutch replaced with a standard one?(surely same will happen again!!). I ask as my car is a Belgian import that has 3 years warranty. I can just see hassle round the corner if I need to claim.
Old 03 March 2001, 05:04 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Glen
I have a my00 and I only notice a slight judder when I pull away at low revs sometimes, others complain about it though, I just put it down to my driving.
I am in Dorset also where are you roughly?
Ron
Old 03 March 2001, 05:13 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Glen

Do a search on this, as you can imagine this is a topic that has been covered many times.

Personally speaking, I started getting slight clutch judder at about 6000 miles on my UK MY00. It was reported at the 7500 mile service, but it wasn't deemed necessary to change the clutch (I wasn't too worried at this stage either, I just wanted it on the service record, so if there were any problems in the future, at least I could say that I had officially reported it).

It got gradually worse (doing a couple of full bore starts when the engine is warm helps a little). My dealer pointed out exactly what you have - if you change the clutch, they will replace it with an identical model, so the problem is likely to happen again.

My clutch was eventually replaced under warranty at about 18000 miles. The difference being that this time, they used the clutch housing from the P1. This is stronger than the one fitted to the standard UK model and can maintain higher pressure (low or leaking pressure levels is apparantly one of the main causes of the clutch judder).

Since it was replaced, the car has been transformed - no more clutch judder (now upto 21000 miles) - much better feel and clean bite point has made the car much more drivable. So if you do want it changed, make sure they use the P1 clutch housing. If you would like to speak to contact of mine at my dealer, email me and I'll give you their details.

Cheers
Chris
Old 04 March 2001, 08:27 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ron
I'm from the Wareham area, maybe it will be possible to resurrect the meet that was going to happen 24/2, I went to the rally in Ringwood instead.
Cheers

Glen
Old 04 March 2001, 11:12 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

there has been some part no. changes for clutch covers on turbos so the replacement part is not ekactly the same it comes as a stronger pressure plate and you have the flywheel changed as well which also has a different part no. now.
as for full bore standing starts i can't think of a quicker way to bugger your clutch up.
Old 04 March 2001, 03:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Glen
Yes we should defo get a meet goin, you weren't trying to sell a set of my00 wheels in the Freeads recently were you, cos I nearly rang up, I think they were a bit overpriced though!
I work in Bere regis, If you're ever out that way, you won't miss my car if you do.
Iwas going to to go and see some of the rallying, I think there was more interest in that than a meet at the time, I'm not surprised either.
See ya
Ron
Old 04 March 2001, 04:16 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ron,
Yeah, thats me, I got £475 for the wheels after all .The rallying was good, seeing those scoobs kicking some serious 4ss .Does anyone actually work in Bere Regis then
Hope to see you soon M8

Glen
Old 04 March 2001, 09:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

SB - the full bore starts were suggested after the judder problems were already present to help clean the surfaces of the clutch - it did help (I have even heard this suggested by some dealers). I wouldn't recommend it as great solution, but it certainly helped as a temporary solution.

As also stated in my reply, the reason my dealer didn't change the clutch at 7500 was that they would have used identical parts. He saw no point in doing this, as it would not cure the problem (in fairness they did have a pretty good idea what was causing the problem, but they had to wait for it to become an 'official' Subaru fix (or so I was told)). As you correctly state, the P1 clutch housing should now be used although it can't help just to ask, to make sure it is being done correctly.

Chris
Old 04 March 2001, 10:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Glen
Yes someone does work in Bere Regis, well some of the time and It's me
Where do you reckon is a good place for a meet then, I reckoned the Bakers Arms, but someone suggested somewhere in Poole.
What colour's your car?
Ron
Old 05 March 2001, 07:42 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ron
Yeah that sounds like a good spot to meet I'll post it under southern to see if there's more interest. BTW my car's silver with 17" gt1 speedlines.

Glen
Anyone else got any input on this clutch problem ?
Old 10 March 2001, 03:04 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep - I've had clutch judder from new, and more recently clutch squeal when hot - problem seemed to be getting worse. 18k miles - dealer replaced clutch without a quibble. Now as smooth as errr something thats really smooth!
Old 13 March 2001, 11:03 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Glen,

I've got a clutch problem, I need a Fu****g new one!! So where do you work? Joke

Ron, is yours blue with a scoob plate? I think I met you in Mike Stoke's when you insulted my brakes! Might not have been you though....

Meet???

Mark.

Old 13 March 2001, 09:22 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if your car is a european vehicle then dealers are obliged to do the clutch under warranty but i think you only get the manufacturers warranty coz im give the following 2 years themselves. so as long as it is under a year old then you should not have a problem.
Old 13 March 2001, 10:27 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Mark
Yep that was me at Mike Stokes, yours is silver if I remember rightly? Which wheels did you go for in the end?
Did you go up to the Quays meet?
And do you think we'll get a meet going around or not?
TTFN
Ron
Old 14 March 2001, 12:47 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Ron,

It's white, I got some gold 17" mim's for the beast in the end which im really chuffed with How about you?

I reckon if we get enough of us to put a post on General, and get a few "yes" (from us few) replies others might be interested. I think if someone puts a date and a time from the word go....

I didn't go to the quays meet, RichB said it wasn't much good. I think the smaller ones are a bit better.

Mark.
Old 14 March 2001, 09:55 AM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi guys,

I also have a MY00 and don't have the judder but I've just recently started to get some clutch squeal
My daily commute includes a steep hill that is always busy at rush hour and requires a lot of stopping and starting on the clutch.

Should I be worried and get it looked at?

Cheers

Mojo
Old 14 March 2001, 07:57 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

On the subject of clutch judder....I've just dropped off my MY99 to dealer for replacement...I read a thread recently that mentioned ensuring that the replacement used was the P1 cover. Apparently the replacemnt now used is a modified P1 cover,that's also been designed as a replacement for the P1's original...does this suggest that there are going to be P1's out there with the judders too? or is it just,hopefully,a more developed product aimed at ending the judders forever!
Old 15 March 2001, 12:48 AM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

This is the deal - you are covered for 12 months by your pan-european warranty. However for warranty work to be undertaken, your dealer in the UK needs to put a claim in to Subaru UK, who in turn claim from Subaru in whichever country you bought the car. This is where the sticking point normally occurs - in my case (and this seems to be the norm) I am having to pay for the clutch replacement upfront. My UK dealer will then send the old clutch off to Subaru Netherlands, who hopefully will say "that's f***ed" and authorise Subaru UK to reimburse the UK dealer for the work. When that happens, I get my money back. No dealer will carry out the work without authority or pre-payment as they could end up out of pocket.

This is certainly the case for clutches (I work with another guy that has a Dutch import and has gone through exactly the same procedure with a different dealer), but whether it applies to other parts of the car that may need warranty work I couldn't say. There is an argument that a clutch could be abused by the driver, hence the reason to have to send it away for inspection...

One other thing - try and make sure that you get a copy of the UK dealer's inspection report that says that the clutch is faulty. This will give you something to use if the guys in Holland turn round and say there's nothing wrong with it! Also if you have a good relationship with your Dutch dealer, get him involved.

Nick
Old 15 March 2001, 10:24 AM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Mojo - I've got the squeals (and judder from cold) as well... took it to Lancaster Pangbourne and the Technician hadn't heard that type of noise from an Impreza clutch before. He reckoned it was either a faulty release bearing or spigot bearing. Either way, he recommended inspection and replacement.

So, another euro import clutch saga starts to unfold!

Nick
Old 15 March 2001, 11:49 AM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Hollywood,

Thanks for the reply. The squeals seem to have stopped. It's only done it a couple of times when doing clutch control on a steep hill.
Still probably best getting it looked at. Like you say it'll mean the start of a warranty saga for me too, mine's a Dutch import. Not even sure if the clutch is covered. Does anyone know? Surely they should be covered for a year?

Cheers

Mojo
Old 15 March 2001, 02:35 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

I'm in the process of claiming for a replacement clutch because of judder on my Dutch import. I've heard of a few people who have had the claim accepted - is there anyone who has had problems / got any tips for me.

Thanks