Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Earthing Mod

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2001, 12:33 AM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by brickboy:
<B>So how / what do you do? Is it basically putting extra earth leads from the engine block to the battery earth terminal, etc? [/quote]

have a look at
Old 14 March 2001, 03:47 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I carried out the earthing mod on my 2.2 legacy yesterday . The car seems a bit quicker , especially after 4,000 rpm but I'm not sure as I haven't had it on a long journey yet to get the car fully warmed up . I'll keep you posted .
Has anyone else done it to a non-turbo scooby ?
Old 14 March 2001, 09:16 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody done it to an Impreza Turbo?? Everybody that has done it seems to be a Legacy owner.

Anybody got any comments as I have some people "in the know" who think it's a load of bollocks!!!!

Matt.
Old 14 March 2001, 09:39 AM
obi
Scooby Regular

Anybody got any comments as I have some people "in the know" who think it's a load of bollocks!!!!

Matt.[/B][/QUOTE]

I was sceptical but tried it and it worked. The Legacy twin turbo has a noticable lag between the sequential turbo's and this mod has reduced it to a brief hesitation. The car may pick up earlier(not 100% certain yet) and the music is better.
Whether there is anything to be gained in a single turbo set up, I don't know but try it. Its not very expensive and these extra wires have almost cured a problem that tuners and modifiers have charge 100's (1000's)to cure in the past.
The current thinking being that linking the earthing through various components that all produce electrical signals may result in the ECU receiving false readings...possible, maybe, I'm not sure but it is feasble.
Anyway, as a result of this I'm going to try these Broquets....bloody quacks may have something after all!

Old 14 March 2001, 11:36 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Question

So how / what do you do? Is it basically putting extra earth leads from the engine block to the battery earth terminal, etc?
Old 15 March 2001, 03:37 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I agree on the cable specs . I don't see the need to use 100 amp cable . I used an old jump lead I had which was 16 mm2 but I think 10 mm2 cable would be plenty .
Old 15 March 2001, 08:09 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Come on - someone with an <B>Impreza Turbo</B> (there must be someone out there) who has done this, your opinions please....

Ta,

Matt.
Old 15 March 2001, 09:07 AM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

Matt

why don't you try it yourself? - doesn't cost much & only takes an hour

Ed

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mutant_matt:
<B>Come on - someone with an Impreza Turbo</B> (there must be someone out there) who has done this, your opinions please....

Ta,

Matt.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 15 March 2001, 02:32 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Ed,

From his profile, Matt's a software guy... and there is a saying "Beware of programmers bearing screwdrivers". Besides, it's a hardware problem!

Of course, Matt may actually be a Computer Analyst who provides counselling for depressed computers... "Tell me more about your peripherals... do you feel that they are always interrupting you?"

Moray
Old 15 March 2001, 02:40 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MorayMackenzie:
<B>From his profile, Matt's a software guy... and there is a saying "Beware of programmers bearing screwdrivers". Besides, it's a hardware problem! [/quote]

Thanks for that Moray....

You'll note that I'm a "software guy" - support, <B>NOT</B> programmer!!!! In fact, I did a stint as an electrician a few years ago so am more than capable of putting this together (and if memory serves correctly, I've also got an AS Level in Electronics - college is a bit of a haze these days though ). I'm not sure that I can be bothered though 'cos a few people are going to have a good laugh at my expense if I do it and it doesn't work - and one is alway keen to limit pisstaking of oneself....

That's why I was trying to find out if any Imprezza owners had tried it - as it only seems that the Legacy boys have.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>
Of course, Matt may actually be a Computer Analyst who provides counselling for depressed computers... "Tell me more about your peripherals... do you feel that they are always interrupting you?" [/quote]

LOL

Matt.