Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Cam Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2001, 09:21 PM
John Coulling
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guy's

I have just bought a 1994/M Subaru Legacy GT Estate Twin Turbo,Quad-Cam 2000cc car.

The car has done 41k and is coming up to having the cam-belt changed at 45K, it also has one of the cam oil seal leaking.

I would like to change the cam belt and oil seal myself how do i line the cam pullies up and do i need to take out the cam to change the cam seal!!!
Any on information on the above would be great.
Old 14 February 2001, 10:35 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right here we go then
when you have taken the covers off and can see the belt if you look close at the pullys you will see they have 2 sets of lines engraved in to them. turn the engine until the single line on the top pulleys point upwards to the cut out on the back plate behind the pulleys. then you will see that the double lines onthe pulleys are opposite each other and the single lines on the bottom pulleys point out wards when they all line up like this the cams are lined up correctly and you will also see a line on the crank pulley pointing up a mark on the engine casing.
the timing belt also has lines printed on it to help you install it.
when you do the seal you will need to take both pulleys off what ever side is leaking remove the back plate and then you can hook the seal out of the casing without removing the cams.
apply a small amount of oil to the inside of the seal and gently tap back in to place. but what ever you do don't try to tighten the pulley bolts with the cam belt on because it will just jump around a tooth. this is how we change the belt on uk models so yours shoulden't be to different.
good luck and be ready for some swearing!