Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

LRP with decat system??

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2001, 08:46 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this is probably a stupid question but I've just fitted a full hks superdrager decat system. I ve been told LRP is higher octane than SUL and as I've got no cats anymore is there any reason why I shouldn't use LRP? Or will it knacker my lamba sensor?? Or will it knacker something else?? pumpers.
Old 30 January 2001, 08:51 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I remember someone else asking this and yes it will knacker your lambda sensor which the ecu uses so its a big no no.

Sorry mate, stick some Millers in instead, and you'll be running 99RON fuel, or use 2 bottles for that little bit extra

DaveW
Old 30 January 2001, 09:42 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

cheers dave, got broquets anyway but thought it might be worth a try. pumpers
Old 31 January 2001, 05:57 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

LRP is essentially a crap, third rate fuel...

It has no BS certification and therefore can very hugely from garage to garage and can be produced on the cheap. Take a look at a pump and you'll see the old 4 star BS number is covered or missing.

It contains sodium as the additive to stop VSR (valve seat resession) in cars with soft valve seats. This is a pretty corrosive element and was found in tests done to cause wear in other parts of the engine and in some cases more VSR than unleaded!!

The octane rating is supposed to be the same as Super, but you take a gamble on that as there is not British Standard?

It will knacker Lambda sensors, cats etc.

Choose an additive (Millers) and stick to it. Mixing additives is not recommended either.

I don't use LRP in any of my old British bikes and nobody else I know does either - our machines mean too much to us! A few garages sell "REAL" leaded 4 star, sold through Bayford-Thrust, which is worth using. These outlets are listed on their website...
Old 01 February 2001, 12:50 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I went to
Old 01 February 2001, 05:43 PM
Mark Kaye
Scooby Newbie

I have it on pretty good authority that leaded fuel or LRP will not bugger up cats or Lamba at all. After 2 or 3 tanks of UL fuel the car will be back to normal.

You might have difficulty if you're running the std ECU with a knackered Lambda though. I run a Link without Lambda control (turned off) so it wouldn't bother me.

Interestingly, the fuel that Bayford-Thrust sell is reportedly (them) 99.7 RON! Not bad

M

E&OE
Old 01 February 2001, 09:08 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Wink

does this mean that i can run my wrx my93 with full decat hks superdrager exhaust on lrp or not?? it's got a standard ecu but if lrp doesn't kancker the lamba then presumably it's safe to do so so long as i go to a bayford garage. also if it knackers my lamba can i then use sul for a while as mark suggests to fix it then return to lrp. with that sort of octane rating my scoob should run sweet as !!!!
Old 02 February 2001, 09:39 AM
Mark Kaye
Scooby Newbie

Pumpers,

It would not be safe for you to run with the std ECU and no lambda. The sensor does get coated and becomes ineffective, so while your car is running closed loop lambda control it could do something nasty!

I would strongly advise you do not run on LRP or 4* with the std ECU. I can't even physically verify that 4* won't knacker your lambda because I haven't tested it myself. I just have it on very good authority

Cheers,

M
Old 04 February 2001, 02:46 PM
The Woodman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Do not use LRP under any circumstances in a Scooby, 4 star not a good idea unless engine management system is set up for it.

Mark,

I don't know who told you that LRP is OK - they are catagorically wrong! Speak to anyone in the R&D department of any fuel company and you'll find out. I am and ex-BP employee and I've looked at this question carefully. LRP is design as a temporary fix for old cars, mostly with worn engines and of low financial value. As Moss says most classic car owners wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, never mind new car owners!

Graham
Old 04 February 2001, 06:21 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I've heard that LRP and turbochargers are not a happy couple... the additives hurt the exhaust fan in the charger unit... not good.
Old 04 February 2001, 06:30 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Moray is right. It's that dreaded sodium that is used as the additive in LRP that will eat away gradually at the Turbo's impellor. Not something worth risking when the cost of a new turbo is considered. As I have said before... LRP is a crap, nasty and unregulated fuel - don't use it!
Old 04 February 2001, 11:49 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

i know what your saying but if i used leaded petrol, as per the old days from a bayfield garage ( one close by! ) with the octane of 99.7, not lrp with it's dubious quality, would this not be better?? or would the lead still knacker my lamba?? and my turbo?? and do strange things to my ecu?? and if i get a possum link or similar can i then use it?? just thought i'd ask but i don't think i'll try it anyway!!! pumpers.
Old 05 February 2001, 03:05 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

4 star is fine with turbos. ECU remap a good idea, but probably not essential as it should learn most of what it needs to know. Lambda sensors will need sorting - somehow?