Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Anyone tried a boostcontroller like at
Old 22 January 2001, 01:21 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
An electronic boost controller IS NOT a "comparable" alternative for a well mapped ECU....not on it's own anyway.

The boost you can run, will always be limited by the standard ecu's fuel, and ignition maps.

People either seem to forget, or just don't realise that in Japan, where these products are most popular, the boost controllers are used in conjunction with both fuel, and ignition controllers too.

By the time you add it all up, it's cheaper to get an ecu in the first place, let alone find someone who has the knowledge to set it all up correctly.

I'm not knocking the products, they are very good, just get very expensive when you want to start pushing the limits of the standard ecu.

Mark.

Old 22 January 2001, 08:04 AM
rizio
Scooby Newbie

What do you think it would do in a MY00 with only minor changes? I would like to keep things reasonably safe (and cheap). Do I need to change ignition and fuel controllers or am I still within range of the original ECU at about 1.2 Bar?
Old 22 January 2001, 08:59 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It may be worth speaking to Nito at Nitosport (http://www.nitosport.co.uk) as he has a boost controller fitted, and sells 'em too.
Old 22 January 2001, 12:46 PM
davy b
Scooby Regular

i had a hks evc-IV boost controller fitted to my last car a v5 sti. boost was set at 0.8 bar low boost and 1.2 bar high boost also it had a scramble setting at 1.3 bar for 10 seconds.i had it in the car for about a year at these settings with no problems. a very good boost controller.
Old 23 January 2001, 12:31 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I can't argue against a "properly" set up ECU, however I'm running an APEXI Fuel , and an APEXI Boost controller.

Its set up with 2 boost settings. 0.7bar (low boost) and 1.3 bar (high boost). Day in day out its run in the low boost setting, sadly it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding in the low boost but it won't stress my engine. To change the settings its simply press a couple of buttons and hey presto 1.3 bar and some power !!!

It does run VERY rich, and YES I would prefer a MOTEC ECU or something similar.
Beggers can be choosers....

Mark
Old 23 January 2001, 04:14 PM
Lam
Scooby Newbie

Mark, could you state out the setting on your AVC-R, its hard to fine tune it and I needs some help!!
Old 23 January 2001, 10:57 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Sadly I didn't set up it. DP Motorsports in Warrington did all the programming of it.

I tend to leave well alone to be honest ~ it looks a nightmare.

If you let me know which settings you want I can have a look for ya. Only the Scooby is at the doctors at the mo having a new "Crank sensor" fitted.

Ta

Mark
Old 24 January 2001, 04:41 PM
rizio
Scooby Newbie

Mark, What made you decide to use the fuel controller as well? And why do you run very rich, when you can control it?

When I install the device, I will probably first monitor the data the original equipment gives, using the built in gauges, before letting it control the boost.

But do you really have to set up the solenoid duty cycle to control the boost?
Old 25 January 2001, 08:22 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

The car blew a piston a while before I fitted the APEXI stuff. The re-build with Cosworth pistons cost and arm and a leg (not to mention other body parts.

I wanted the setup to run as much boost as would be safely possible with a minimal risk of detonation. DP Motorsport in Warrington said that I should also fit the fuel controller as well as the boost controller. To be honest apart from looking pretty I have no idea what gains the fuel controller gives me

I never touch it really, it just does its stuff (whatever that is).

Cheers

Mark