Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

New Turbo..... Hybrid or Other??????

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2000, 12:52 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karlos,

First thing to do, would be to get a cylinder compression test done. Upping the power on an older car, may be asking for trouble, so be careful.

The turbo you choose, should be based on what you're aiming to get from the car.

The bigger the turbo, the more power that can ultimately be extracted, but this will also incur more lag.

Hybrid turbo's attempt to give you the best of both worlds, but power/drivability is always going to be a compromise. I would suggest driving cars with the various turbos on, and see which you prefer.

If you imagine your revs as a scale, the turbo will give you a power band of 3000rpm approx', so a turbo that peaks at 3000rpm, will be out of puff by 6000rpm.

This would be great on the road, but lacking on the track. A turbo that peaks at about 4k, and holds to 7k, would be good on the track, but you would have to use the gears much more on the road to keep it spinning.

Mark.

Old 23 December 2000, 06:30 AM
light12
Scooby Regular

hi karlos
you might want to consider the apex ax series
try
Old 23 December 2000, 10:02 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks Light,

I was hoping someone could explain the difference to me as well... What is the significance of "BAR"?

Karlos
Old 23 December 2000, 12:46 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Question

Guys 'n' Gals,

Whilst driving my old '96 Impreza Turbo the other day, I noticed that the turbo has been getting progressively louder over the past months. Now, I make sure I warm her up and cool her down correctly (blitz turbo timer) but think the turbo maybe on it's last legs simply due to the mileage (upto 107,000 now!)

I would like the replace the turbo, but at the same time improve performance, etc. My question is....

Which turbo should I go for? I've heard people talking about hybrid's and IHI/VF turbos. What are they and what is the best?

Thanks in advance (AGAIN!) for all your help!

Karlos
Old 23 December 2000, 01:12 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark.

This is exactly the kind of answer I was after! I don't really take my car on the track, so a turbo which would give me better driveability/torque on the road would be ideal. I've seen adverts for ceramic IHI replacement turbos from Turbotechnics. Are these any good?

Karl
Old 23 December 2000, 01:13 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by R19KET:
[B]Karlos,

First thing to do, would be to get a cylinder compression test done. Upping the power on an older car, may be asking for trouble, so be careful.

Mark. What would this tell me and what would be the next course of action if somthing was bad?

Karl
Old 23 December 2000, 05:22 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Karlos,

A compression test will give an "indication" of the bore, and piston/ring condition.

The compression of each cylinder should be within about 5psi of each other, and all should be over 150psi. Engine compression will vary depending on MY, as higher compression engines eg. 8.5:1 may be as high as 170psi.

If you have low compression in one of the cylinders, I would forget increasing the power, unless you are prepared to strip, and rebuild the engine first.

I don't know the turbotechnics turbos, best you speak to them, and see what they can offer.

Mark.