Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Backbox Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2000, 07:58 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iwas going to buy a Scooby sport backbox, but have been told that scorpion or something similar is just as good...the scoripon is £100 cheaper...Any recomendations?
Old 17 December 2000, 10:53 PM
mavrick
Scooby Regular

Probably the area of most choice for the Impreza.
I'd definitely look around there are lots of options and you can't really buy bad nowadays.

[This message has been edited by mavrick (edited 17 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 08:35 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I've had both on my car. The scorpion is very well made, equally as well made as the scoobysport, BUT for the noise and extra performance, the Scoobysport box is worth the extra £100
Old 18 December 2000, 09:12 AM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Is there really a performance diference between others and the Scoobsport?.. My un-itelligent brain thinks there could only be a couple of bhp ie less than 5 difference between the two.
Old 18 December 2000, 10:39 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul

Magnex is another to look at. Mine cost me about £210 from Graham Goode. Very well put together, looks good (very similar to the Scoobysport and has been mistaken for one on many occasions) and sounds similar (although probably not quite so loud). Pays your money and takes your choice. Best thing to do is get yourself along to a meet. You are bound to see and hear a number of different exhausts.

Cheers

Chris
Old 18 December 2000, 02:03 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul M:
<B>Is there really a performance diference between others and the Scoobsport?.. My un-itelligent brain thinks there could only be a couple of bhp ie less than 5 difference between the two.[/quote]

Very little in reality, more of a change in engine characteristics, scoobysport ads to top end, scorpion/prodrive more mid range, but all in all the Scoobysport box does give more 'grunt' 4000-6000+rpm

The engine note alone is worth the extra!

Old 18 December 2000, 02:55 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's a tricky one this, Obviously I drive more in mid range then top end,but it seems the SS is recomended by everyone, but never having heard a scooby sport......decisions decisions. I guess a scorpion etc is louder than the standard item, with SS even louder ????
Old 18 December 2000, 03:57 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

If you're in the market for a backbox only, then quality of construction, price and sound are really the only considerations. I think you'd be hard pressed to notice a performance difference between the standard BB and an aftermarket one, let alone between 2 aftermarket BB's. I would say that if they add any HP it would only be in the region od 2-3 HP.
On my STI5 I swapped from std exhaust to SS BB and apart from the sound (fantastic engine note and just this side of acceptable noise levels) could tell no difference in performance.
I then put on the SS DP and mid-section and again the biggest difference is to the sound - the sound is again fantastic but too loud for me. With the addition of the DP you can feel a difference in low to mid range torque and it does pull better towards the red line, but the difference is marginal and not what I had hoped for.
Best advice is to do as stated in a previous thread and listen to various BB's and then buy the one you like the sound of.

ChrisW.

Edited to include P.S.

P.S. Another consideration I forgot about is fit. Ask owners of various BB's how well they fit. A common problem with some of them (mine included) is that the first bend of the BB (after the join to the mid-section) is too close to the rear diff. Every time you go over a bump you can then hear (if you listen) the bend hit the diff. This may not be important to you but it does my head in

ChrisW.

[This message has been edited by cwal1 (edited 18 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 05:04 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul,

I've got a SS on MY99UK. I think the sound is fantastic, and I definitely noticed a performance improvement when it was fitted. Seems to pull more readily at mid range.

Chris is right about quality and fit. My brother fitted mine, what he does for a living, and he reckons it is one of the best he's seen on the market as far as quality and fit is concerned, so I would definitely recommend this one, expensive or not.

I just hope that the DP and mid are as good, as they are the next on the never ending shopping list!! Hopefully, with all the nice things I've said about the BB Mr Croney will give me a discount on the DP and mid

Matt
Old 18 December 2000, 08:38 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

paul
ive got a scobysport backbox on my MY00,it sounds great, as for performance i wouldnt really know because my subaru dealer fitted it along with an itg filter. also, it will not compromise warranty. im fact it was my dealer who urged me to get it, not so they could earn out of it neccessarily, but the dealer had one on his!
contact richard at days of chelmsford if in doubt
Old 19 December 2000, 01:05 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Looks like a SS is the one then, I guess I'll have to save the xtra 100 notes, when I bought my MY00, the dealer Adams of Ayelsbury wouldnt fit a SS and ITG, so I guess it varies from place to place.