Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Codes (22,24&44) from ECU.....

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2000, 03:29 PM
John C
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have checked that site regarding the ECU codes and resetting the ECU.

I get codes 22, 24 & 44.

22 - Knock Sensor. Could this need replacing or is there a way of testing it? If I have to replace it would I be better putting something like the KnockLink in as I understand this can be plugged into factory equipment? Is this hard?

24 - Idle air control solenoid valve. It was idling quite erratically and nearly cuts when revs drop dramatically but seems ok when slow gradually. I have gone through a few posts about this and have tried removing the air intake hose (long windy one from left to right) to the sensor (sensor 10 on the site) - kept the engine revving and then sprayed carb cleaner in (quarter can). At first when I reconnected it was like a dog. A reset and a drive and it was better but not cured. Do I need to replace it?

44 - Wastegate control solenoid valve. Again like above I noticed a few posts on spraying carb cleaner through and wil try this asap.

Any hints/help to cure it - most appreciated.

Old 12 December 2000, 04:07 PM
ransj
Scooby Regular

John,

Have a good check of the secureness of the cables & plugs around the idle control valve and knock sensor (hidden down below the ICV) they may have got a bit loose, or wet (not difficult considering the weather!)

You sometimes find that when one sensor goes down it flags up some error codes of actuators which need a the specific signal (i.e. a speed sensor error (bust speedo cable) will also give a code 24)

Simon
Old 12 December 2000, 05:13 PM
John C
Scooby Newbie

Simon,

Cheers for the information. I'll have a look at the connections in a while. It's extremely frustrating when in traffic & even more so after I tied the carb cleaner. Bouncing the throttle while appying the brake - two right feet needed.

John
Old 12 December 2000, 08:58 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

John, how do you get the codes? Is there a tester you can buy (I had one for my previous Peugeot GTI)or have you got them from a garage?
Old 13 December 2000, 07:56 AM
ransj
Scooby Regular

Charlie,

You don't have to use a code reader to access the error codes. Have a look at this website for details on how to read the codes and what they mean:
Old 13 December 2000, 10:22 AM
John C
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Charlie,

That's exactly the site where I got the info about reading the codes and resetting the ECU that Simon has mentioned. It is very informative as to the codes and the locations of the sensors.

Just to ask/pleade again if anyone has any info on the codes - 24 especially as it's starting to irritate me and I'm even nearly afraid to ask what a new sensor costs from Subaru. I'd love to be able to resolve the situation myself.

If anyone can shed more light or info it'd be greatly appreciated.

John.
Old 13 December 2000, 11:35 AM
Victor L
Scooby Newbie

Question

John,

I have recently come across the same thing as you - I have reset the ECU as well but the code still exists. I need to try the carb cleaner yet, which I hope to try tonight. I'll get back to you on my result - hopefully successful - else we'll be in the same boat.

Regards

Victor