Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

are superchips gonna ruin my scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2000, 09:22 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

ive recently had a superchip fitted to my MY95 scooby, and i'm worried i may have done the wrong thing. is there anyone out there who has one fitted, and any associated problems, or hopefully, benefits.
id be really grateful fo any advice.
Old 03 December 2000, 09:45 PM
tommy m
Scooby Regular

Superchips are well known and used by many tuners around the country with a good rep,i have used there chips in the past on (ford rs) cars without any probs,but cant say about scoobs,but still i should'ent panic to much ,
Old 03 December 2000, 11:15 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Superchips and scoobies don't have the best of relationships according to previous posts here... the superchip for the scooby is, it seems, simply a bleedvalve and a chip to defeat the ecu overboost safety cut... so I wouldn't recommend one.

Unichip piggyback ecu or Link/Motec/etc ecus are a better bet.
Old 04 December 2000, 12:44 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Now that you have it fitted don't worry too much. Make sure that you have a boost gauge fitted , if you don't then go get one, even a cheapie if you have to.

It's not the Superchip that will blow up your engine but the amount of boost that you run. Keep it to about 1.2 maybe peaking to 1.3 and all should be well. use good fuel and if you get a chance get to a rolling road and cheak for pinking.

Unfortunately the Superchip removes the overboost protection completely by fooling the map sensor into thiking you are running a lower boost all the time. Hence there may only be enough fuel provided for the lower level of boost. This is where the problems arise.
As I said if you run moderate boost without going crazy then you "should" be ok.

We at Mac's Power have developed a "new" chip that keeps the overboost protection in place and we can program it to come in at any selected level ie:1.3 bar.Just as a precaution. One other thing you should do is to get some small hose clams or cable ties and clamp all the pipes to the manifold in case they try to fly off.

Paul.
Mac's Power Motorsport
Ireland.