Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HKS IN CAR VALVE TIMING BOOST CONTROLER

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2000, 03:37 AM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can any one give me some advice?MY 95 scooby wrx has a HKS adjustable in car digital timing/boost controller and a HKS super drager exhaust from the cat back with standard air filter.The car is sort of driveable providing you dont toe it(sometimes the check engine light comes on when driving in traffic and disapears on idle),but when you do toe it,at about 3500rpm the engine cuts out and you get a heavy cloud of smoke out the back,the controller overboost light comes on ,as does the check engine light.I phoned up HKS nr London,and they told me the instructions for set up were in Japanese and i would need to take the car to them for a awd rollin road set up,2-3 hrs set up @70 quid an hour plus the vodka tonic.There are four different modes on the controller and think it would be wise to remove the unit from the car.I could remove it if i had some information (does any one have a Haynes Manual for one of these cars!!!).The control unit under the bonnet is overriding the original unit.The original unit looks like a cylinder of 3 inches long and 1/2 inch diameter with a vacume outlet to the top and the right and one on bottom which is bent 45degrees. Located on the side of the drivers front strut top mounting and looks as if it should have a couple of vac pipes fitted to it mabe even three,-the controller for the HKS unit has three vacume pipes fitted to it .Iam possibly missing a vac pipe off the inlet ducting box the one after the right turn pipe between the air flo meter and the engine ,any help on this would be of much benifi to me -thanks

[This message has been edited by jonno (edited 24 November 2000).]
Old 24 November 2000, 03:46 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jonno

Sorry cant help but can tell you there is no haynes manual for any form of scooby, although someone was trying to convimce them to do one.

Simon
Old 24 November 2000, 09:08 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Jonno,

The HKS boost controller shouldn't cause any problems unless it's been set up completely incorrectly. What boost are you running it at, or rather what is the maximum boost you are seeing on the digital read out? Also one of the vacuum hoses, the one coming from the manifold should be teed off to the boost controller with it still returning to the original solenoid so that the ecu can still read how much boost the car is producing. So there should only be two hoses disconnected from the original solenoid, the one that goes to the actuator and the one that goes to the turbo body.

I don't run more than 1.15bar of boost on my car and I believe this should be even less with an earlier car.

The fact you're getting the check engine light come on could point to something else, perhaps it would be wise to take it to a Subaru dealer or someone such as Power Engineering or Scoobysport who have select monitors to see what fault code if any is appearing!

Feel free to mail me offline if you prefer!

Regards
Nito
Old 24 November 2000, 03:04 PM
JK88
Scooby Newbie

Jonno:

Looks like your boost controller has not been set up correctly.
From what you described, 'Check Engine light', 'Smoke from the back' it shows that your Scooby is over boosting!! Not sure what boost you are running at the moment.
At this moment,I would advice you turn your boost back to LOW boost by pressing the button Hi/Low.
It's not necessary to go to TDi for the readjustment, you can always look fo rthe HKS dealers around the country.
Also try fit the fuel controller, for smoother running at high boost.
Old 24 November 2000, 08:01 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Jonno,

Early cars have a safety net which cuts the engine at 15.5psi (1.05bar) - it sounds as if the boost controller is running more boost than this - hence the cutting out.

Disabling this fuel cut is a bad idea so you want to set the boost to 1 bar and reduce it in small steps until the problem stops.

The "Check Engine" light may not be related - my car (94 WRX) has hit the fuel cut before and I didn't get the light appearing.

If you take a look at this site, it shows you how to find out why the "Check Engine" light is coming on (ECU error codes) -
Old 25 November 2000, 06:56 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Jonno -I have similar set up - EVC plus super drager and HKS inlet on my STI5. We had problems setting up and I have full ENGLISH instructions. If you have not been able to get them I can email them to you. Did you run through the initialisation procedure? You have to do 2 runs through the rev range in learning mode - if you dont get it right it can overboost off the scale which sounds like what youve got. I now run with low set 1.1 bar and high 1.3 bar. Had check up on PE rolling road and fuelling ok.

PHIL
Old 26 November 2000, 08:00 AM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Nito
you are correct in telling me that the vac pipe should return to the original solenoid which at this time isnt-soon will be.
I will keep you all posted on how i get on.....sorted!!!!!

nice one
Old 26 November 2000, 08:11 AM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks JK88
The readings that i am getting from the control unit dont coincide with what pressure iam getting -as yousay probably due to being incorrectly fitted.
Once i get it fitted correctly it should make some sort of difference .
Cheers-il keep you posted
Old 26 November 2000, 08:17 AM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks GavinP
thanks for that site address, reference codes.
will get this ecv set up correctly and if the check engine stop light still comes will check out ecu codes.Thanks for your advice
Old 26 November 2000, 08:32 AM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Phil_ng
I need to set this EVC up correctly vac pipes and solenoid before i go any where .
I have not gone through the learning mode didnt even know EVC had one!!!.It would be excellent if you could mail me the instructions ...cheers .
what power increase did you get afer your 3 mods?I only have a standard air filter element....but thats just about to change!!!was thinking of HKS super power flow!!!!
Thanks again
Old 26 November 2000, 05:40 PM
JK88
Scooby Newbie

Jonno:

Why not try the ARC super induction box ..although it is more expensive but it does enhance your car's pick up and top end.
That's what I was told...
Old 26 November 2000, 06:46 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jonno,

The main problem you probably have is that stock boost on your unit has been entered as 0.85 or so when stock boost is actually 0.45bar, ie that boost which would be produced if the car had no boost controller whatsoever, which of course it has, even in standard form (the boost solenoid!)When you press the mod button, does the unit scroll through different functions. If it doesn't then the unit has been locked from the rear. If it does then adjustment is easy. I think you really need a copy of the instructions, if you drop me a mail offline with your address I'll get a copy out to you!

Regards
Nito
Old 26 November 2000, 10:20 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jonno check your email.
Old 28 November 2000, 12:24 AM
jonno
Scooby Regular

Smile

Phil thats Magic
now ive got the instructions i can go and resolve these problems i hope,again thanks for your email