Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Crunchy gear-change 4th to 5th on STi5...

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2000, 03:49 PM
davidaprice
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Ive Just bought an Sti5 4 door and ive noticed that when changing from 4th to 5th at 4000 and above there is a slight 'crunch' on the gear change. It doesnt do it with any other gears and it is fine if the revs are lower....

Ive read through a couple of similar-ish threads elsewhere on the bbs which mentioned things like sycro problems and reference to a nut not correctly adjusted/tightened(?) but not seen this specific problem...

Any help / guidance would be appreciated as the car is my new P&J and Im worried ive got a serious problem with it

Thanks

Dave
Old 17 November 2000, 04:53 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem in my sti5 going into fourth at high revs, turned out to be a worn synchro ring which needed replacing in the box.

-HINT- if you are going to be doing performance mods and they do take the box out to do any work to cuew your probs, change the standard clutch for something beffier and if possible change the fly wheel too, or at least get it looked at to see that its ok.

This will save you time/money and aggro in the future.
Old 22 November 2000, 03:28 PM
davidaprice
Scooby Regular

Old 22 November 2000, 06:31 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

I've just had this exact problem on my 5 door MY00 turbo. It was also accompanied by a difficult to select reverse gear.

It was fixed without dropping the gearbox out of the car. It is some nut that works loose on the back of one of the shafts (?) - something like that. Anyway, it took only 2-3 hours to fix, maybe less.

Now my gearbox is whining - see seperate thread....
Old 22 November 2000, 08:17 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

- a common sti 5 prob and one that afflicts P1s too I have heard - I have learned to live with this as it only happens at silly speeds on my car... some report that better oil cured the problem but not in my case.

Oh and I wouldn't bother changing the clutch 'for a beefier one' - bad idea to transfer the stress onto the gearbox - you will end up stripping second gear off the main shaft - clutches are far cheaper to replace than gearbox rebuilds are - the sti clutch is already uprated and is up to the job - albeit you should consider this as a 'consumable item' and expect to replace it at some stage in the future.

Do let us all know if you find a fix though!
P1 owners should surely be able to get this investigated by IM dealers??????

Paul W
Old 23 November 2000, 08:58 AM
davidaprice
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Taff, sorry to hear of your whining gearbox

My reverse is also a little difficult to select as well now that i think of it. I have seen mention in similar threads of a nut on a shaft that it incorrectly tightened. The car is going in for inspection on Friday so I have my fingers crossed

A friend whos had both a type RA and type R over the last 18 months said he had the same problem with both his cars and in each case it was the syncro that needed fixing...

Pwebb, what do you mean by silly speeds on your car? Mine does it if i change into 5th at 70mph or above.

Dave
Old 23 November 2000, 11:07 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

4th to 5th crunch above 40000 rpm - yes I had this on my P1. 5th gear synchro replaced.

Also had "baulky" 1st to 2nd gearchange. Both gears and synchros replaced.

Russ
Old 23 November 2000, 11:21 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

silly speeds? - why I never go over 55 mph myself ;-)

erm - lets just say more than 70 mph

crunch kind of grows on you - don't think it is doing any harm + no other difficulty selecting gears etc.

Paul
Old 25 November 2000, 11:26 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've just had a 3rd to 4th crunch on my 99my UK car fixed under warranty. The crunch only happened if keeping the revs above 4k.

The dealer says that they changed the "cones" - whatever THEY are!!
Old 26 November 2000, 10:34 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had crunch on my sti5 also mainly 3 to 4. Had new uprated clutch fitted and this fixed it. They opened up box to check and no wear at all found on synchro rings and gears. Did track day recently and was worried when crunch returned worse than before 3 to 4 and 4 to 5. This was after 2 sessions of about 8 laps of Donnington and stopped when everything cooled down on way home. By the way, does anyone recommend any particular gearbox oil or anyone tried gearbox oil cooler? Also I find uprated clutch fine apart from smell - bit all or nothing for road use but standard STI item only did 18000 miles with me.