Real world vs Published numbers

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2000, 01:22 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Please help the ignorant here, me that is

At the Powerstation day on Saturday my RB5 WR ran out at 231bhp @ 6150rpm and 225lbs @ 4300rpm.

Whilst there I spoke to John Felstead (sorry if I didn't introduce myself properly John) about the numbers generated. I was particulalrly interested in the torque curve as this would appear to give the best idea of how the car converts its engine power to forward motion, please correct me if I am wrong

I am reasonably happy with the BHP figure as it is only 6BHP below what Prodrive quote on their literature. However, I am unhappy with the torque measurement as Prodrive quote 258lbs @ 3500rpm, from my numbers I appear to be getting a poorer return at a higher point in the rev range

Can someone tell me what I need to look at to try and get the car's torque output back to the manufacturers standards, please

I suppose the only other option if I get an inconclusive response here is to contact Prodrive themselves and see what they say.

Thanks in advance for your help guys,

Yex

PS: I will be at the Essex meet on Sunday if anyone wants to talk to me.
Old 14 November 2000, 03:53 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

.. the same thing is apparent with Prodrive's torque figures for the P1 and what was actually achieved at PS.

Old 15 November 2000, 03:06 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Yex.
I don't think it is your car that is at fault mate.
No Prodrive car got expected torque figures.
As long as it feels good on the road, that's the main thing.
I'm trying to find the reason why we performed worse than expected though.

Stef.
Old 15 November 2000, 05:41 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Question

Stef,

Thanks for the input, I left just after my run so was only able to pick up on other cars outputs from the threads and Paul Strong's site. The car does appear a bit sluggish to me so I've put out a few "enquiries" and am waiting for feedback from these. When / if I've received these I'll keep people up to date with the answers offered.

I hope your car is not too badly damaged after Sunday and can be repaired ASAP.....possibly with a larger turbo, VF23, for instance

Regards

Yex
Old 15 November 2000, 09:19 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Stef,

Sorry to hear that CK1 is ill again. Best wishes for a swift and painless recovery.

One quick question for you, dude...

Am I right in believing that when your engine failed previously you **EDIT** and that when it failed this sunday you had recently fitted a prodrive performance pack ecu? I'm sure the PPP was purely a coincidence, but I suspect the turbo may have been damaged in the **EDIT** incident... Did SUK check your turbo for damage after the first failure? My original turbo's bearings started showing signs of impending failure a short while after Power Engineering melted two of my engine's pistons.

Moray

**Edited on Mr Stef's request.**

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 20 November 2000).]
Old 16 November 2000, 01:51 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Moray.
AFAIK, no damage was done to the turbo when my engine went last time. I guess it's possible though. I wasn't told either way.
One of the main things that would make the turbo go would be running more boost, but the PPP doesn't increase boost so I doubt The PPP is to blame. I think it's just a bad co-incedence. Like I've said, I guess 70,000 hard miles have just taken their toll, and that isn't too bad for a standard turbo really I suppose.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 16 November 2000).]