Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY98 - New short engine and clutch under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2000, 01:41 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Firstly a big thank you to T&C Aberdeen for being exceptional and providing second-to-none customer service.

The car: MY98 (Registered 26/11/97) UK Turbo, 34,000 miles

The story: I bought the car in Aug 98 and have been very happy with it (and still am ). However the clutch occasionally was extremely juddery when cold and the engine was very noisy when cold too. Never really worried about these "features", but asked the then Aberdeen dealer at the 22,500 mile service to have a look and if this was usual. Got the slopey shoulders, "Naa they do that" and they stated that the mileage was too great to consider a new clutch under warranty. Oh well, it didn't bother me that much and I got on with things.
Then, the piston slap issue came to my notice and at the last service (37,500, but the car was behind mileage) I mentioned this again (even though from the descriptions on this BBS I had my doubts that it was serious). The garage agreed that the piston slap was there. And when the car was in on Monday this week, I asked about the clutch and could they have a look as the engine would be out anyway. They had a look and visually confirmed a defect.

Result: With two weeks left to go on the warranty and 34,000 miles under the wheels; the car now has a new short engine and clutch under warrany.

If you have these symptoms and your dealer disagrees, find a different dealer!!!

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 10 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 01:44 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thankyou you might have just sved me £180.

Darren.
Old 10 November 2000, 01:48 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Good luck!!! I was given a contact at IM by a member of IWOC in case of dealer difficulties, mail me if you want the name and number. Also, apparently clutches are warranted up to 60,000 miles for manufacturing defects.
Old 10 November 2000, 02:25 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I had my 37,500 mile service yesterday on my MY98. I thought my engine was a bit noisy when cold, so asked them to have a listen for piston slap. They have reported no problem, but I still have doubts.

What I don't understand, is that if the dealer installs a new short engine, this is paid for by Subaru UK, so I would have thought they would be keen to replace it as its money in the bank. I hear of many dealers being reluctant to do this, so what's the story ?
Old 10 November 2000, 04:38 PM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maybe something to do with tieing a Technician up for a couple of days on one job, hence the reluctance (less profit compared to run of the mill servicing).
My dealer told me IM are not free and easy with "their" short engines and being a regular cutomer of a dealer appears to help.
Anyone know of a MY 98 that hasn't got piston slap......

[This message has been edited by WAL (edited 10 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 05:01 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fair enough, I've only been going to this dealer for 2 years since I bought the car new, they probably haven't got to know me yet.
Old 10 November 2000, 07:46 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

This piston slapping problem...is it isolated to MY98 cars? I get a light tapping from the valve gear but nothing more sinister on my MY99...
Old 10 November 2000, 10:03 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony

I live fairly close to you (I think)and my my98 has an advanced case of pistonslap at the moment.Mail me if you want to listen to it and see how it compares with your car.

Crusher
They normally fix the my98's by fitting a my99 short engine so I think you should be OK,and the noise it more of a deep knock rather than a lighter tappy sound

Andy
Old 11 November 2000, 10:32 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Red face

AndyMc - I'd like to meet up and have a listen, but presumably we'd have to have a 'sleepover' somewhere, so we could listen to both cars first thing in the morning when cold ? Are you going to MozG's Wales meet in December ?
Old 11 November 2000, 04:41 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

How to tell if you've got piston slap: if engine is *significantly* noiser when cold than when at normal operating temperature, then you've got piston slap.
I couldn't believe how much quieter the car is now on cold starts than before the new engine.
Old 12 November 2000, 08:57 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

In my case (MY98, 34K) the noise was very easy to demonstrate even when the engine was warm. Just letting in some clutch at very low revs (like when you are reversing into a space) caused a 'dok dok' sort of noise. My local dealer had cloth ears, but Mill Lane Engineering agreed straight away that it was piston slap. New short engine followed, and it is now so much quieter overall that it seems more powerful, even though still taking it easy (only done 500 miles since the changeover). The clutch was inspected while the engine was out and pronounced ok.

Mill Lane are now my dealer of choice due to their attitude, courtesy and service, and its a much nicer drive to get there...