Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI V5 Exhaust question....

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2000, 01:50 PM
Dog basket
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have purchased a STI v5 with an HKS middle and back box fitted. I am thinking of replacing the downpipe with either the HKS or Scoobysport part.

I am aware of the 'no cat' position and so have the original middle section for mot time - but my questions are :

Will i see a furthur performance increase ???

Will I need ear defenders ???

Which product is better ??

From a newbie !!!!

Dog....
Old 01 November 2000, 03:03 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I believe I am right in saying that the STi V5 mid section doesn't have a cat in it, just a lump which looks like a cat, so it won't be any good at mot time anyway. I have the Scoobysport downpipe and am more than happy with it (and SS centre and backbox) I personally don't think the sound is that loud inside the car (gorgeous outside though), although it is louder than standard. Your best bet is to find a friendly mot centre, or ask Pete at Scoobsport to borrow his special mid section to get you through an MOT.
Old 01 November 2000, 03:29 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dog Basket,

I have an STI5 and am having a full Scoobysport exhaust fitted on Friday. Will post here after I've collected and driven it and let you know how it feels and sounds. </img>

ChrisW.
Old 03 November 2000, 08:49 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Dog,

I, like many others, have the Scoobysport downpipe on my sti 5 - been on for over a year now and I would thoroughly recommend it - make sure (if not already) that you also change standard air filter for something that will breathe a little easier.

The sound is wicked + some interesting turbo impeller noise and other mechanical niceties that weren't audible before - SS owners have been known to drive with their back windows down all the time ;-)

Caveats....

when fitting - make a decision whether you want to retain the turbo heat shield (will need some cutting/jiggery pokery to get it back on) or whether you will lag the pipe instead.

Allow 3 hours fitting time in your estimate of how much this will cost you.

as already stated, STI5 has only one cat - its in the downpipe so you will lose compliance with emissions regs.

watch out for excess boost after fitting -
may end up causing unwanted degree of knock....suggest you get aboost gauge and maybe have someone listen to the engine with det cans/hook it up to subaru select monitor.

If you post an e-mail address to pinkbadge@lineone.net I can send you some sound clips/dyno charts if you need help making up your mind

cheers,

Paul W

[This message has been edited by pwebb (edited 03 November 2000).]
Old 04 November 2000, 05:32 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

I also have an STI v5 with SS back box,Magnex decat'd mid section and SS down pipe.

I did the mid section last and found that although it wasn't a cat the lump referred to previously was some sort of silencer.The midsection was most certainly the loudest of the three ammendment to my exhaust system.

You won't get much more noise from the down pipe only hear the turbo get cracking a lot earlier.

Definately the way forward.

...Ian
Old 04 November 2000, 05:56 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

PWebb
What - you mean the back windows go UP???!!!

(MY00, full SS from turbo back)
Old 04 November 2000, 10:14 PM
Dog basket
Scooby Newbie

Im convinced - going for an HKS downpipe to finish my exhaust system !!!

Thanks for ALL your replies....

The Dog.
Old 04 November 2000, 10:18 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Question

Intelligent/Silly question. Delete as applicable

Dave T.S. eeeeaaassyy .

I noticed that Paul mentioned Knock and excess boost after fitting on the STI.

Does this affect UK models or only Imports? I'm saving for the full SS system and don't want to spend loads after.

Cheers,

P.
Old 05 November 2000, 08:58 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dog,

AFAIK the SSPort d/p is rated much more highly than the HKS item - simply the HKS item has a plain flange and poor gasflowing on the welds/joins.

Ssport item has a big collector and better gas flow.

It's up to you - also if it is an STi V, you might want to think about a BPM twin dump. Around £350 plus VAT - but it does come with HPC which will help you reduce your exhaust and underbonnet temps - a GOOD THING (tm) (speaking of which, where is Pat?)

Sith,

AFAIK the potential knock/boosting problems are more likely to affect STis. However if you do significantly modify your car you will want to observe boost and det, and so investing in a boost guage and a knock link is also a GOOD THING (tm)

R

Old 05 November 2000, 09:34 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rannoch,

My mind is at rest, and I am looking at getting a boost gauge at the moment.

P.
Old 06 November 2000, 09:16 AM
Dog basket
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Rannoch for the extra info - maybe it will be SS after all - so many decisions so little time !!!!!

Dog....