VF23 for a MY99

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2000, 09:59 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

HI
will the VF23 turbo bolt straight on the MY99 with out any modifications ?
or is there different types of attachments that need to be fitted with the VF23 for it fit a MY99 ?

i know sti's have them so is there any difference at all in the way they are located and positioned ?

cheers

sorry if i sound thick but the company that i am getting my VF23 from don't do that many subarues

sam
Old 07 October 2000, 10:03 PM
Mark_Warren
Scooby Newbie

Don't worry, I'll make you look intelligent with this one

Whats a VF23...YES I know its a turbo, but what's the difference between, a UK turbocharger / Type R etc.

Thanks
(Blackscooby usually)
Mark
Old 08 October 2000, 09:36 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sam, i will reply here as i have also received your email.

The VF23 does fit straight on but you will need to ensure you have all the necessary replacement gaskets, studs and copper washers. These can be supplied by your local Subaru dealer or Jim at Cheam on 020-8394-2263 (he knows which bits exactly)

The only "mod" required is that the water feed pipes have to be seperated to fit into the new turbo housing(if you wanted to be really neat you could get the new bit but its not necessary as it doesnt compromise the security of the mountings.) The downpipe and intercooler need to come off too.

You will also need two sets of oil and filter changes. One just after fitting the turbo (using flushing oil) just to pick up any crap off the new components and then again with normal oil to replace the flushing oil.

I am told that "priming" the main bearing is not necessary as long as you dont drive the hell out of it as soon as you start it. Certainly my VF23 has not seen any problems to date using the above procedure.

I was also advised to not use any more than 0.5bar until the remap was done as well as having lambda ON in the interim.

The whole procedure took Steve Lawson about 4 hours and he has done it before. He was also being ULTRA CAREFUL as i was watching his every move (normally he is just very careful )

I do not datalog or keep any maps or anything or whatever so you will have to speak to Bob Rawle as he keeps all that info - to give me even a serial link would have disasterous consequences.

If i have ommitted anything or misstated anything then i am sure SJL or Bob Rawle will correct me

Regards

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 08 October 2000).]
Old 08 October 2000, 11:32 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sunil has pretty much covered everything apart from the oil return pipe.On the Mitsubushi turbo the return pipe which is held on by two 10mm bolts is a slightly different size(internal bore the same,fixing holes different).It is quite easy to modify this to fit the VF23.Just make sure you get all the gaskets/copper washers.

Regards

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Lawson (edited 08 October 2000).]
Old 09 October 2000, 07:26 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

..not quite everything old fruity......

I checked back and now recall that my VF23 came with new studs fitted so check before you order some from Subaru Sam.

Sunil
Old 09 October 2000, 10:06 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Question

Sunil,

Whats the advantage of running a VF23

Cheers
Jake
Old 09 October 2000, 07:24 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well, erm, let me see, how about this ;

Disadvantages
1) More metallic sound.

2) More money spent as you have to buy and fit and map it than if you did nothing

3) More petrol money

4) A tad more lag at the bottom end but VF23 is very well matched for characteristics of UK engine.

Advantages
1)-10) Goes like stink , until you get used to it

11) Shiny alloy plate looks cool

Sunil