Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

K & N questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2003, 10:03 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys,
I haev just done a deal on a K&n for a my98on, I have a my00, I'm aware that there are/used to be a few issues with these, can someone enlighten me please, I've done a search and that found nowt,

All help welcome.

Ron.

ps, car has full decat and dawes so far!!
Old 01 December 2003, 10:07 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to make sure the bracket that holds the pipework / maf assembly is secured rock solidly. Vibration will kill the maf sensor.

Steve
Old 01 December 2003, 10:10 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve,
Keep em coming!!
Old 01 December 2003, 10:53 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

K&Ns are about as reliable as the standard filter.
After ensuring everything is held together well (fixed in position but in a way to not trasmit vibrations, if you see what I mean!) I'd say that no more checking than usual needs to be done regarding the MAF (the original ones go wrong, whatever you do ).
Old 02 December 2003, 09:11 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Is that it then, not really too much to worry about, so long as the filters well held in place??
Old 02 December 2003, 09:33 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

K&N air filters come pre oiled If they put to much oil on at the manufacture stage it can contaminate the MAF sensor They need to be oiled to stop it drawing in water Contamination of the MAF will send incorrect signals to the ECU Brake cleaner can be used to clean MAF If you do fit one keep an eye and ear open for CEL or det

Cheers Grunt
Old 03 December 2003, 11:06 AM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

i have a k&N induction kit, it sounds great but cant say that its made an improvement on performance - thinking of changing to a HKS kit.
Have noticed the MAF contamination though, had to clean it twice so far, its been fitted for about 4 months.
Old 03 December 2003, 11:44 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Ron,

I had one and did get some small power gain, but it was minimal (RR Proved) and I suspect that was just where it had leaned the mixture out. It dropped the torque a bit, which wasn't good.

Unless you have it Tek mapped, I think its pretty pointless, and they sound horible when you let your foot off the gas.

Didnt bother my MAF though

MB
Old 03 December 2003, 12:13 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Switching to an induction kit isn't really going to give any gains at all until the standard airbox becomes the restriction - this seems to be around the 300 or so mark (but this is necessarily vague!). The little TD04 simply can't suck enough air through the standard box anyway.
All induction kits are going to do pretty much the same, flow-wise, until you start getting to fairly high power, and then you need to change the inlet pipe as well.
Personally I'd steer well clear of the HKS (too much goo - contaminates the MAF) & the Blitz (doesn't actually bother filtering). The K&N is proven to filter well & not cause problems in itself (fitting might, though) - APS in their CAK use a K&N filter, just shoved down the wing instead
Old 03 December 2003, 10:38 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

On this subject - I've just switched from a K&N 57i (MY00 car) to the APS in-wing kit. So, the old K&N is in need of a new owner. It's in good nick (about 6 months use) - anyone want to make me an offer?

Makes nice noises, by the way - if anyone is thinking about changing. Even the OE recirc valve is very audible, and the sucking noise on boost is pretty cool too .
Old 03 December 2003, 10:45 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Do a search on the APS (run lean MAF killer!)

MB
Old 04 December 2003, 08:34 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Ref Mark,

The APS intake kit is not supposed to be a 'fit and forget' bolt on performance improvement. If you read any of this board, or the APS information, they always recommend a remap to cater for the differences in air intake quantity.
Any changes to a car (any car!) need to be considered carefully to firstly understand the impact of the change (both positive and negative) and any compensatory changes required.
The idea of the less restrictive intake is to get more air in, the idea of a less restrictive exhaust is to get more gases out - both of these changes alter the fueling profile of the engine, and can therefore cause problems if they are not compensated for in the engine management system.
The only cars which can benefit from these changes without any other issues are those which were over-fuelling in the first place.
I have been running the APS CAI for a year now (along with APS exhaust, Unichip, FMIC etc) and as the engine has been mapped for these chanes I have had no issues and lots more power.
I would prefer not to have the 'asthmatic elephant' intake noises, but thats a small price to pay!

Edited to change a critical word!

[Edited by DubaiNeil - 12/4/2003 8:38:03 AM]
Old 04 December 2003, 10:47 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

My car has a completely custom ECU map. Plus uprated fuel pump/regulator (and other upgrades) - the APS hasn't gone on as a 'fit and forget' add-in. Thanks for the warning, but it's in hand.
Old 04 December 2003, 10:56 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice!

MB