Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Hesitating engine leaving in Greece. PLEASE HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2000, 09:38 AM
Sailor
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi,subarufriends!

This is the first time a post. This is my problem. In July 1999 a purchased a Forester Turbo. The car almost from the start had the same problems with most of you regarding the topic "2nd gear performance" a sluggish performance between 1600 - 2500 rpm with 2nd gear in. I mentioned it to Subaru - Greece. There reply was to change the sparks, fuel regulator and MAF sensor. The car had no difference. I must also say that the problem isn't there always. It comes and goes. After some strong complaint to Subaru - Greece once again they cleaned the injections. No result. After that I decided to upgrade the car with the Prodrive Forester Kit: New ECU (Sti), dump valve and exhaust. The car goes much better in general point. But the problem is there. I'm tottaly frustrated. I've made lots of checks driving with the select monitor but it finds no problems. The service says everything is O.K. with the car and propably they think I'm the mysterious... But the car feels like a Jugo Zaztava in low rpm with 2nd. After lots of investigation through friends and Internet I thing the problem is the Knock Sensor. This sensor is almost a microphone hearing engine noise. At low rpm due to whatever reason this Knock Sensor senses noise from elsewhere and advances the engine. Result: Very poor performance. By changing this sensor you do not address the problem. You have to insulate a bit the sensor to hear less noise. I found a guy who has made a "fix" for the non-turbo Forester in the States who addresses with total success the hesitation of these engines. Please visit