Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Impreza Towbar

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2000, 09:46 PM
Imago
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to fit a Towbar to my Impreza and would appreciate some advice.

I understand from the Accessories Price List that there is a Detachable Towbar available. Has anybody had one of these fitted? When it is detached can you tell that there is a towbar fitted? I don't want to spoil the look of the car.

Is it easy to fit or should I leave it to my dealer?

I will only be towing a small sailing dinghy.

Thanks
Mick
Old 18 July 2000, 01:51 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've just had a Witter bar installed on mine, and the ball and part of the bracket detaches, leaving two bits of metal (black) that are not that obvious, and behind the line of the bumper.
Fitting wise it took the installer 3hrs, but 30-60 mins was extra as it's an STi and the rear bumper/numberplate mounts are slighty different. The tricky bit I imagine is the electrics and not the towbar itself.

Cost wise I paid £200.00 fitted (quote was £175 and would be for a UK car) From a mobile fitter I was quoted £150 but I needed it before they could do it. These prices are quite a bit lower than Subaru and include single electrics.

p.s. 0-60 time with car trailer and Caterham on it was 9.0 secs
Old 18 July 2000, 08:49 AM
john thorne
Scooby Newbie

I've just had the Subaru removable tow bar fitted by my dealer and its pretty neat. The £300 cost is dearer than a non dealer version and its probably made by the same people. The only thing visible is a black blanking plate under the bumper which doesn't protrude from the cars lines. Go for the Witter one, I had to use the dealer because its on a P1 and you can't tow with one of them! (Its only for a bike rack).
Old 18 July 2000, 10:57 AM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Why can't you tow with a P1? I presume it's for purely asthetic reasons and not that the P1 is too feeble (cos, let's face it, it ain't too feeble ;-)
Old 18 July 2000, 08:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a Subaru Detachable Towbar at £250 and fitted it myself together with the electrics - dealer wanted 3 hours to do - with hindsight I would have let them do it !!! Electrics were really really simple - there is a connector supplied in the boot - buy the Subaru electrics and just plug it in (electrics took me 30 mins) mechanicals took me 5 hours!! yes 5!! bumper off see? holes didnt line up well, so lots of bashing and heaving .... under a car in the dark with the rain running down my back is NOT a good experience.
So, my advice, get Witter to fit one for £160 (thats what I was quoted) - but sad old me paid Subaru £250 and fitted it myself!! does look the business though!!!
pete
Old 18 July 2000, 11:12 PM
john parker
Scooby Newbie

Had a Brink version fitted last year to my MY99, cost less than £200 supplied and fitted by local 'spurt. It is removable (although electrics are not) but left on keeps XR3i drivers following in trafic at bay.
Have no recorded performance figures with caravan hitched up, but do have eye witness'to all 6 wheels off the ground over hump back bridge returning from Avon Park Raceway last year !