Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Fitting APS CAIK and APS FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2003, 07:20 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone here fitted the APS cold air intake and APS front-mount intercooler onto a Classic? I'd like to know if you had any fitting issues, and if you had to modify anything in the inner-wing area in order to make it fit.

Cheers...
Ben
Old 19 November 2003, 07:53 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Hi Ben.

I have the FMIC and apart from the front bumper the only other cutting was to the brake cooling duct on the drivers side. Other points of interest are that you have to jack up the passenger side of the engine to fit the metal pipe that joins the hoses and also you really have to move the engine towards the drivers side to get sufficient clearance to stop the damned thing knocking. That sounds a bit alarming but is really simple to do - just loosen the single nut at each side where the engine mount is bolted to the crossmember and lever the engine in the required direction as far as it will go (about 10mm is all) with a large piece of timber placed against the chassis leg! That's what I did anyway and it worked for me although the recommended method is to jack up the engine and slide it across on a trolley jack or similar which really needs two people. The bumper needs a helluva lot cut off it and it is really trial and error but don't expect the templates that come with the kit to be any use because they are really crap! I used a Stanley knife to cut the bumper (and my hands) but the plastic planes really well with a body file if you have one and it is really useful for getting a neat finish. After all that I found that I couldn't refit my splash guard so it got a lot of chopping around to make it fit and then it went binwards anyway when I fitted my gruppe-s headers and has now been replaced with an alumimium plate. I had no other issues with pipes rubbing etc and it is all just a case of taking your time and applying plenty of common sense. Hope this helps.

Raymond.
Old 19 November 2003, 08:30 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm not too worried about the FMIC - that's gone on OK. Similarly the headers have gone on (and the undertray remains off).

It's really the CAIK I'm thinking of. Was there any issue with fitting the cone around the FMIC piping within the wing? It's even been suggested that the only way to make it fit is to cut away at the mudguard in the wheel arch. Did you need to do anything as extreme as this?
Old 19 November 2003, 11:47 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Sorry, can't help re intake. I have a K&N 57i.
Old 20 November 2003, 07:25 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I was using a K&N 57i before, and didn't realise that it would fit with the APS FMIC. What MY car are you driving Raymond? If the 57i fits OK then I might abandon (and sell) the APS CAIK. Did the 57i require any 'persuasion' or modification to make it fit around the intercooler piping?
Old 20 November 2003, 08:17 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

My car is MY98 and the 57i fitted straight on without any mods. I assume that what you have K&N wise is the same as mine but, to check, mine has the convoluted rubber pipe after the MAF replaced with a fair bit shorter stiff rubber pipe with a slight bend in it and the small hose for the carbon cannister pushes into a small hole in it. The mounting point on the filter flange is offset so the filter can be rotated to give more or less clearance as required and the filter tapers strongly if you see what I mean. I 'persuaded' the pipework to sit as low as possible and had to make up a suitable mounting bracket which I have fitted between the MAF flange and the header tank. When I was at it I made another hook shaped bracket that I bolted to the inner wing where the intercooler hose comes through to give it a bit of support in case it sagged on to the filter but this is probably not necessary. I also have the Samco inlet but I don't think that makes any difference.
Old 21 November 2003, 09:10 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

It sounds like we have very similar 57i arrangements, except mine was supplied with a bracket to attach to the header tank. I'll look into retaining the K&N if the APS CAIK (for some reason) won't fit properly.

Thanks Raymond
Old 21 November 2003, 09:23 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You're aware of how the APS CAK alters the MAF signals? I assume you're remapping anyhow given the fmic and headers.

Richard
Old 21 November 2003, 09:56 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Mine came with a bracket too but I wanted the pipe to sit lower so I made up another one
Old 21 November 2003, 09:57 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

oops!

[Edited by RaymondH - 11/21/2003 9:57:52 AM]
Old 21 November 2003, 10:29 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Yes, the car's having a complete custom remap.
Old 21 November 2003, 05:42 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Question

I thought the latest version of the CAIK has a 65mm neck in order to cure the misreading MAF problem? (allegedly)

Having siad that, even if it is true, the remap is still worth it to get the most from the mods.