Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Fuel Cutoff Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2000, 12:55 AM
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the fuel cutoff switch located??
Any replys would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Old 14 February 2000, 05:50 PM
oscar
Scooby Newbie

There is none on a Uk car
Old 15 February 2000, 11:11 AM
oscar
Scooby Newbie

The fuel pump relay is controlled through
the main relay and the ECU so if the Ecu detects that the engine is no longer running
( through the cam and crank sensors then the supply to the fuel pump relay is cut and hence no more fuel.So I guess you could say there is a fuel cut switch but its controlled through the ECU .Perhaps this is a better explaination than my previous reply
Old 15 February 2000, 12:07 PM
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

Now I know that the American cars have tons more safty stuff. But if you get in a wreck and a fuel line gets broken the electric fuel pump will keep pumping till the tank is dry or it melts due to the fire that is created! I would think there is one on any car with an electric fuel pump?? Correct me if I'm wrong please...
Old 16 February 2000, 01:16 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

We have em too, had much fun trying to figure out why a Mini wouldn't start aftean autotest on grass, A mighty assembledge of motoring gurus was assembled to consider the prognosis for the diminutive automobile. Much scratching of the assembled wise ones chins was carried out the phrases "distributor" "rotor arm" "fuel pump" "plug leads" were whispered as if an enchantment, but nay the sorrowful mini would not start. But then like the trumpets announcing the arrival of a knight clad in shining armour the cry was heard from afar "fuel cut off switch" and the now cheerful litle car roared into life

The moral of the story

Don't expect classic car nuts to have much of an idea when it comes to a car produced in the last 10 years or so.
Old 16 February 2000, 01:38 AM
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

*LOL* Great Story!!!

Does anybody know where its located on an impreza???
Old 16 February 2000, 12:17 PM
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Oscar,
That makes sense. But here in the USA American made cars have a switch called an "inertia switch" that controls the fuel pumps electricity. It works like this: It has a ball (usually steel) about 1/2 inch (13mm) in diameter. The ball is spring loaded with force in the downward direction. When the car is hit or hits something this ball tries to keep traveling and moves up a ramp and pops off the switch. (there are 4 ramps-forward, rearward, right & left) thus instant loss of fuel pressure even if the engine keeps running.. The reason I asked about this is because you could have your car parked in a parking lot and somebody could pull into a spot either infront or behind your car and hit it slightly and pop the switch. And then when you come out your car wont start..