Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Subaru spec Diff Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2000, 11:04 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just had the 30k service done on my STi3 at a local Motorpsort Garage, who was recommended to me. I supplied most of the parts except HKS plugs and Scooby Fuel filter.

The supplier had sent a couple litres of green liquid in a 4 litre bottle labelled wind screen wash. I was a bit concerned as I had spent 40 quid on 5 litres of Amsoil for the gbox and diff. The green liquid I inspected , it looked a little like fairy liquid but a tad darker in colour, and not quite as thick, it certainly smelled like oil when I stuck my finger in and smelled it. The garage said that it was what Subaru put in the diff, so i accepted this and let them get on with it.

Does this stuff sound like Subaru spec'd diff oil to you?

cheers
Howie
Old 13 February 2000, 11:09 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Red face

Howie - gearbox and diffs should be filled with semi synthetic 75w/90 oil - this is very light and almost clear to look at...

if in any doubt as to what has been done...
get yourself down to C+K motors in Manchester (Stamford Road, Longsight) or call them on 0161 244 1431 - ask for Peter Conolly... better to use them for servicing next time !

cheers,

Paul W
Old 13 February 2000, 11:35 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Paul

I put a post out a week or two ago asking for info on C+K, as i noticed that you had referred to C+K in several posts, but you had no email address in your profile so I could n't get in touch with you.

I'd had spoken to C+K twice, I even went down to ckeck them out, Pete seemed a very helpful guy, knowledgable and keen to guide me in the right direction.

The only drawback was the location and the timimg, may be i am paranoid.

I could only get it done on Saturday, Pete said if I left it with him one day in the week they would sort me out with a loan car.
I live in Stockport amd work in Knutsford, so getting to Rusholme was a bit out of the way for a week day.

May be I'm a bit sad but I always like to be around when folk are working on my car.

I remember Pete telling me that they use the gear oils that prodrive use and recommend - like you said semi synth, where as Scoobysport use Silkolene fully synth??, most scoobyneters appear to use fs and get the best results?

Even the engine oil differs from place to place, some use semi some use fs, I opted for Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w/50, seems like 5w/40 was a tad thin.

Oh well whats done is done,

Thanks for your reply anyway, btw are you running an STi ver? or UK?

cheers
Howie