Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction kit options for MY00/MY2000 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2000, 03:50 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello All. I've just swapped my MY97 turbo for a brand new MY00. I used to have a K&N 57i kit on my old car which woundn't fit the new one due to a change in the design on the air flow meter...so I flogged it.

What companies are producing induction kits for the new car ?

BLITZ ?
K&N (Don't think so yet)
HKS ?
X-FLOW ?
Pipercross ?
Rampod ?

give me some clues and ideas of how much to pay, level of noise etc.

At the moment I'm using my old RAMAIR panel...i'd rather not be

Somebody also mentioned the other day that the HKS super mega flow induction kit caused overboost problems on the new cars...has anyone heard anything similar ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 10 February 2000, 06:30 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Never mind Ian, you can hear mine at Donno just as a little reminder if you like!!!!!

Stef.
Old 10 February 2000, 07:00 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Contact Racelogic for information about BLitz products. They were very helpful, and should be able to tell you everything you need.
Also check out their website
Old 10 February 2000, 07:50 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Angry

Cheers Stef...

not much of a concelation though.

Hey...how are you enjoying your downpipe ? I fitted the SS centre section last night...I am now cat free too....sound is amazing.

Ian
Old 11 February 2000, 06:20 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Angry

Alex at Racelogic wouldnt sell me a Blitz Cone for my UK MY99 saying it wouldnt fit.

Spoke to various people who confirmed otherwise.

At the time i wanted it, everyone was out of stock (PE/Falkland Performance/Racelogic)

Went back to Racelogic insisting it would fit and they told me they were out of stock but getting a shipment in a few days but none of their distributors would be getting the post 96 kit (only they were!). Told them Falkland offered a discount to SIDC and they refused to match it, even after confirming it with Falkland themselves (allegedly).

Changed my mind for a few days and held off placing my order with Racelogic...phoned Falkland the following week who now had the right kit in stock!...got a discount...and on my doorstep the very next day.

Racelogic Sales are POOH IMHO.

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 11-02-2000).]
Old 11 February 2000, 11:52 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Igraton,
If you've got a brand new car how do manage to make all these mods without invalidating your warranty?
My dealer told me I can get away with a backbox but that's about it - any performance enhancing mods will through the warranty out of the window.
Please let me know.
Ta,
Subarussian
Old 12 February 2000, 08:19 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Hi

If you are interested I have a Blitz kit fitted to my car at the moment which in a couple of weeks I will be taking out, it is about 3 months old and as new.

Mail me off line if you are interested

Saj
S3 WRC
Old 12 February 2000, 01:09 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Subarussian,

its a risk I take.

Basically I only make sensible modifications. I will not consider chipping the car, I've just concentrated on improving the breathing of the engine i.e. cold air in - exhaust gas out. I can't imagine for 1 moment that the stuff I've used will create any problems with the car. This is my second impreza turbo and have never, ever had any problems related to installation of such bits (the exhaust is scoobysport, also running a ramair panel until I sort the induction kit out). The insurance company knows, the dealer knows.

Thats about it really.
Ian
Old 13 February 2000, 07:17 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Ian,

if you look elsewhere under this same heading you will see there was a recent discussion about induction kits, primarily Blitz and HKS. Sadly, my invitation for members to give individual experiences with one and the other in order clarify what is what and what is good or bad, did not bring any response (??).

As far as Blitz is concerned, I have one set for MY99 onwards which PE sold me and Racelogic supplied. Leaving aside the first hand experience of their personnel risking legal action for not supplying translations of Japanese instructions into English, not knowing much about how to even connect their productsas well as overall arrogance of their managing director, Blitz products are as good as any others as far as I am concerned.

It is true that their induction kit is a very tight fit into the engine bay on my99-00, even tighter than the HKS which is just about comfortable.

q.
Old 13 February 2000, 11:43 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Quattro...

You forgot I replied to your post.

You comment on Blitz..

So I thought I would comment on HKS....HKS supply some products with only Japanese instructions too.

Did you know that the HKS electronic products dont come with any warranty ? As soon as you buy it, thats it... if it breaks tough..

Or if a HKS mechanical product fails they send it back to Japan.. and you have to wait for it to come back.. they wont send u a replacement until then.

I can go on and on... I have been using HKS products for many years...

I go along with your philosophy.... I dont like to be biased... so I thought I would point out the facts about HKS..

Ian knows about the HKS stuff... I have spoke to him about it before...

Personally I would go for K&N... or Blitz.... Maybe Apexi (although I have never used them before).... Those of course, are my own opinions.

J.

ps - Yes.. the blitz is a very snug fit... but it does depend on the brackets.. I have seen different versions.... I just make my own stainless... fits perfectly then.. and no worries of rubbing or rust..
Old 14 February 2000, 08:53 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Whilst we're on about induction kits for MY99....

the Blitz does look like a close fit if you retain the section of plumbing which houses the MAF. However, with an appropriate ECU surely this piece can be removed as well ?
Old 14 February 2000, 02:33 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

J.

I do not forget anything (as you know).

As I have said many times, you indeed have a lot of experience with aftermarket products for the Impreza that there is not much else for me to say.

regards
q.

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 14-02-2000).]