Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch "growl" / vibration - identified?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 1999, 05:20 PM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Seems its not the pipes vibrating.

Dealership think its the release baring. Goes in to get fixed tomorrow - hopefully.

Not to impressed. Seems mine is not the only one!

A bad batch perhaps?

Scottie
Old 21 September 1999, 04:21 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Scottie

You are not alone!!!
Old 21 September 1999, 04:46 PM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well, they replaced the clutch release bearing and .......the noise is still there.

Not as bad though, and only evident between 3,000-5,000 revs, rather than the whole rev range.

Will give it a couple of days and see if it gets any better/worse.

Scottie
Old 22 September 1999, 07:12 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Scottie

Mine only happens when going up the A22 (seriously) when changing up from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.

Weird eh

Any ideas anyone???

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 22-09-1999).]
Old 26 September 1999, 09:20 PM
ChrisW
Scooby Newbie

My 1 week old 99MY does this too. Did you find the cause of the problem ?

Chris.
Old 27 September 1999, 10:01 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Howdy

Noisy/problematic gear changes are normally associated with the syncro units.

I know a few people have had problems with them.

Cheers,

J.
Old 27 September 1999, 12:04 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i don't know how i missed this post?
mine is a week old (850 miles). and is starting to get a noisy clutch (sometimes) in changing gears from 2-3 and 3-4 around 3000-4000revs. getting it checked thursday.
Old 28 September 1999, 08:21 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Well, thats a week now and its not getting any worse. Its definately better than it was before they changed the release bearing.

Firefox, The noise I get isn't on changing gear, simply on depressing the clutch pedal whether the car is in neutral or in gear and when the revs are between 3,000 to 4,000 ish.

Does anybody have it who does not have a MY99 car? Also, everyone who's got it, when was your car delivered. There might be a pattern here.

Regards

Scottie
Old 28 September 1999, 09:44 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oops... Sorry...

By the sounds of it.. it is the release bearing... which you've had replaced

Did they check/replace the rest of the clutch ? cover plate ? etc...

Cheers,

J.
Old 28 September 1999, 10:03 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Firefox,

As far as I know they just replaced the bearing.

Seems like a common problem, though. I'm wondering if there has been a dodgy batch of the things.

Funny thing is though, there was no obvious fault with the bearing. The dealership 'phoned Subaru Technical support and they thought it was the bearing as well. Replacement has improved, but not removed the noise.

(At least its a warranty job!)

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Scottie
Old 28 September 1999, 01:51 PM
ChrisW
Scooby Newbie

My DBM 99MY 5 door was delivered 18th September 1999 and has developed the same problem. It's almost like you've crashed the gears, like a metalic rattle/crunch. It's at the dealers tomorrow for the 1000 mile service so I'll let you know.

Chris.
Old 29 September 1999, 09:04 PM
ChrisW
Scooby Newbie

They agree with the "clutch release bearing" diagnosis. I'm just waiting for the parts now. Not bad for a 10 day old car.

Regards, Chris.
Old 02 October 1999, 05:01 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi
i have been so silly. my clutch is fine it is the intercooler vibrating against the bonnet that is making the noise. and hence the noise disappears when the bonnet is open, duh........

what i can't believe is the dealer got it wrong.!!!
Old 02 October 1999, 09:04 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You will be pleased to know, you also get the same sort of noise when the heat shield has gone. It usually is most noticable coming down the rev's between 3-5000rpm. Makes no difference if your in gear or not.
Tim
Old 03 October 1999, 06:48 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Cool

hello, this noise with the clutch isn't the bearing. it's the clutch lining. If they use springs for shock dampening, it's usually the cause of it. I've come across this n have used plastic n rubber dampers instead. They work fine now. Sometimes, it could also be some other stuffs rattling.
Old 09 October 1999, 09:49 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Anyone got the problem sorted under warranty yet and actually identified what it was?

As i am still suffering!

Regards
Old 11 October 1999, 08:11 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

I think coolhand may have the answer - as in its the clutch lining.

I also (occasionally) get a much higher frequency noise/vibration when changing gear at high (6,000+) revs when my timing not absolutely spot on.

I'm going to leave it for a bit (its not got any worse over the past 800 miles) and see what happens until service at 7,500 miles.

If it gets any worse, I'll get it back in and they can have another go.

Anyone else got a fix yet?

Scottie

Old 12 October 1999, 05:06 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Cheers Scottie. The springs tend to wear out on its tension over time. Moreover, the output of the engine may be to awesome for the lining to last. Let's say, depends on driving habits.
Old 13 October 1999, 06:39 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Does this problem mean that a vibration is felt during change up through the actual pedal and thw overall gear change feels unclean.

I think I have this on my MY99 (300 miles)
Old 13 October 1999, 07:10 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Nah, you WILL feel a "pulsing" through the pedal - what is this anyone? Also a slightly mnotchy gear change particularly at slow revs into 3rd like the lever is being knocked back against you (or am i alone on this?!)

The growl occurs as a noise from the top of the engine bay when you depress the clutch pedal to change up a gear. You wont miss it!

As for the lining thing, surely brand new cars on run-in mileages cant be deteriorating that quick?. The dealer has my car for the Prdrive PP and i have told him about it again and the fact that it is more prominent that before. We shall see what they come up with!
Old 14 October 1999, 05:19 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Cool

To feel vibration on the pedal means the clutch cover's diaphram springs are uneven or the clutch release bearing is worn n pretty loose on the rails.
That growling noise haven't been heard b4 but if U say from the engine bay, isn't the clutch assembly located just under the i/c? Well, it could be the heat shield, some bolts or nuts not tightened or maybe the clutch disc's shock absorbing springs are chattering.
Old 15 October 1999, 08:20 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Question

Sunil,

If you are feeling a pulsing through the pedal and gear change problems then that sounds like it could be syncromesh as Firefox posted on an earlier thread. Let us know what the dealer's say.

Coolhand,

My problem is definately clutch related. Only noisy when pressure applied to clutch pedal. Its definately worse when everything warms up (ie after a blast!). Sunil's seems slightly different. I would have said mine was a was release bearing, but they have changed that now and not much difference (unless replacement was faulty too!)

Chris,

Have you had your bearing replaced yet?
If so, what was the result.

Scottie.
Old 16 October 1999, 06:43 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Scottie, yes, yrs is definately a clutch damper spring case...unless the rivets are also getting loose. See, when pedal depressed, lining comes free between cover n flywheel...noise occur. Unless it's worse, the splines are worn. Bearing will cause vibration on pedal more than noise...unless real bad...besides, bearing will become quiet when pedal depressed as it's the reverse of lining's action. Hope U've got what I meant.
Old 16 October 1999, 09:36 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys..

I have found that when something goes in a clutch (say a release bearing) that inturn loosens/ruins something else...

I've had bearings, covers, pressure plates replaced...invidually, only to have to remove the box and replace the next part too it....

Not always the case...

But for the extra cost (expecially on warranty) get as much replaced as possivle.. new pressure plate...new bearing...new friction plate.... etc..

J.
Old 16 October 1999, 05:48 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

well, what Firefox said is true, having one part replaced one at a time isn't good coz U'll be stressing the bolts n screw threads. Besides, it's no harm squeezing more out of warranty, it's still covered ain't it? Usually replace clutch cover, disc n brg at a go, save time n can prolong lifespan of parts...u'll never know when the other old part will give way n have to be removed again.
Old 27 October 1999, 01:57 PM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Question

Any of you guys got the problem sorted?
Old 27 October 1999, 07:50 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

I have just got my car back from having its PPP and the problem seems to have gone...maybe they thrashed the nads off it?

Anyhow, i have a 450 mile round trip to Pontefract tommorow so we'll soon find out if it still does it!
Old 30 October 1999, 09:50 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Well, back from Ponty, and it seems to be a lot lot less noisy. Not sure what's happened. They said they definetely hadn't changed anything.
Old 31 October 1999, 12:11 AM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Question

Mine's a MY99 saloon, after her 1500ml running in I noticed two things....a notchy shift into 5th when accelerating from 70 to 80, the notchiness is also noticeable when selecting 4th. It feels distinctly like the synchro is baulking and you can feel it through the lever. At low speeds there is no problem.

Secondly, when giving her a little stick, while feeding the clutch in I can hear a groaning/grunting as the drive is taken up. It's as if the lining is rough and it is snatching. There is no other abnormal feel or noise from the drivetrain, the car doesn't shudder or shake or anything. This could be the release bearing that everyone is going on about.

Has anybody experienced either of these on late models ?

I'm in for my 7500ml oil change tomorrow so will raise it with the dealer.
Old 01 November 1999, 08:48 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Hi again, I'm now sure its definately not the release bearing.

Had a go at a fairly quick standing start (not dumped) and as the clutch started to bite I got what can best be described as a high frequency rattle/graunch. Got it again at high revs going through the gears on take up.

I'm convinced my problem is cover/plate related. Will speak to dealer and see what happens.

Scottie

Quick Reply: Clutch "growl" / vibration - identified?