Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Blitz induction

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2000, 01:41 PM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I had this fitted last saturday at PE during the cars (95WRX) 37000 service. since then the car seems to have less power although it again seems to be delivered more smoothly acroos the rev range. Also the usual poor running when cold is more exaggerated.The car is standard WRX apart form this ans SS backbox. Anyone any ideas?
Old 02 February 2000, 04:23 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

I presume gentlemen at PE fitted the correct vintage of the Blitz product as there are two different versions - for earlier and more recent cars.

Assuming that is ok, I would not risk 500 opposite comments from everyone who loves Blitz for whichever reason (wet, dry, nice, ugly and if nothing else helps - 'personal preference') but I tried it on my STi5 and it was evidently less beneficial in every possible way in comparison to the HKS product of the same intent and purpose. It just felt congested and did not breathe enough at all. I must say I have a 3" exhaust all the way so that could be the reason, but not so sure. I would not even say Blitz gave less power or anything like it, it just made the engine pick up revs in a more sluggish and indifferent manner, almost as if it was a UK car (nothing derogatory towards UK model of course, but the difference is, hopefully, beyond doubts). I must say I am surprised no one I would remember noticed any such behaviour from Blitz.

Blitz Fan Club, the stage is yours.

q.

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 02-02-2000).]
Old 02 February 2000, 04:33 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Q,

I saw a japanese filter test on a site somewhere (www.mkiv.com supra site, I recall), the hks and blitz filters both offered similar performance, but although the blitz wasn't absolutely brilliant on the filtration front, the hks was awful, the worst on test.

How long did you have the blitz on the car before deciding to change? Did the ecu have time to get used to it?

Moray
(I've had both filters, but on different cars)
Old 02 February 2000, 05:36 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Moray,

I am not going to get involved in on-line shootouts, so I sent you an email offline.

regards
q.
Old 02 February 2000, 07:54 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Come on Quattro... A shoot out ?

lol

I have used both HKS and Blitz on Scoobs...

My "personal prefence" out of the two, is Blitz

J.

ps - Only joking...
Old 02 February 2000, 11:08 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

J.

I knew you would, somebody has to. Being an experienced try-out person with almost every product money can buy for an Impreza (?), why don't you tell us (in clear and precise terms, if possible, please) why did you exactly prefer the Blitz? Leave theoretical filtering, cleaning and other speculations aside, just real practical benefits you registered.

Thanks and be well.

q.
Old 02 February 2000, 11:51 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there.

I have tried a few products.. probably more than most people.. who knows

I dont always need a reason to change and try something else... I just do to get an appreciation of alternatives...lol

But...

I changed from the HKS filter due to it being an oil based filter...very oily...

I found that it got very dirty...very quickly.. people will say thats its purpose...to catch the dirt... and yes, it did stop the dirt penertrating... its a multi-layer construction.. made up of various densities of foam.. oops.. getting technical.. lol... but it was dirty ont he outside..clean on the in

To cut a long story short... it was getting to dirty... cloggin up...causing a restriction.. HKS say you cant clean them.. and need to use replacement foam filters...

I did clean the filter.. and there was still plenty of oil left in it! It didnt need re-oily... and I dont like the idea of buying new foams all the time

There have been several cases of Hot film cars failing when used with HKS filters... coincedence ? maybe..

I have a IV.. so it worked fine for me.

My filter was actually from a 300ZX.. when I got mine HKS didnt have a filter for the Scoob... The only difference now, is that they have the "proper" mounting kit.

The blitz looked superb quality...wasnt oil based... I have previously tried and tested RamAir..K&N, etc.... the K&N (57i)is on par (in not alittle worse than Blitz)... but is half the price!! Good value for money

Some people say HKS is better due to the conical/vortex affect the filter produces... that maybe the case if bolted directly onto the turbo... but if you ever see an intake for the scoob, you will realise any smoothing/flowing by the filter is wasted and spoilt in the intake pipe.

Anyways...

If yoy live a clean place.. and not use a hotfilm MAF... then maybe the HKS is a viable choice...

Personally I like the K&N and Blitz...

Personal choice of course.... Changing to any of the above mentioned induction kits will increase throttle "response", if used in conjuction with a better exhaust system

Time for beddy-byes..

J.

Old 03 February 2000, 06:02 PM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Quattro

Is there a visible way of telling which version of the kit they have fitted? Should it be necessary to reset the ECU after fitting as they did nothing other tahn bolt it on

Dave
Old 05 February 2000, 10:18 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Dave,

All I know is that there are two part numbers which differentiate the model years for 2 different versions. Check with your suppplier or Racelogic (UK distributors) directly.

As I predicted, J.'s comments were as honest is he always is and, for me, insufficient to reach any sufficiently defined conclusions. Apart from so much being 'personal preference' (which as people know I do not accept as the only explanation) it seems that some owners had bad filtration, i.e. too much dirt and clogging which, in turn, could cause the film sensor to be damaged. I am not sure whether the area I live is any cleaner or dirtier than others, but after 2000 miles with the HKS I looked inside and found everything clean and dry beyond the point of the oiled 'mushroom'.

As always, I am trying to establish real facts and statistics of bad experiences people may have had with any product on offer. Perhaps they could come forward and let us have those to settle the matter. If HKS is unsafe I would be the first to take it off even if I still found the Blitz less effective in my set of conditions.

I would also like to remind members that there already was a long discussion some months ago from which it transpired that some induction kits cause air flow sensor damage more due to incorrect fitting and fixing rather than incorrect functioning.

q.