Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2000, 10:19 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Ive Just got my new Scoob.the first service is due , any recomendations ( un biased ) about oil .I used Mobil 1 in my 97 untill they decided it hadn't been tested at 0w/40 , any ideas ?
Old 18 January 2000, 10:30 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Mobil One is somewhat too thin so you may want to try something a little bit more viscous. Silkolene Pro-S works rather well and I've yet to hear of any complaints about it (but their gearbox oils have a very repugnent odour... fortunately it doesn't permeate into the car!).

Give Pete a call at Scoobysport and he'll sort you out with some decent oil :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 18 January 2000, 11:52 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mobil 1 Motorsport works very well. It's more viscous than the normal Mobil 1 and it seems not to blacken as much. i.e. it withstands high temperature better.
Old 19 January 2000, 11:09 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I change my oil every two months with Castrol Magnatec, and my car seems to love it!
It must like the cold protection thingies!

Stef.
Old 19 January 2000, 01:49 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Smile

Is that Silcolene synthetic ?
Is Mobil 1 Motorsport Ok under warranty at 15W/50 , not too thick on frosty mornings ? I did consider it after contacting Mobil , all they say is use it to top up Mob.1 5W/40 used by Mobil Subaru dealers at service. thankyou all for your comments
Keep em coming!
Old 19 January 2000, 02:10 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The Silkolene Pro S is fully synthetic. It is actually 100% Ester polymer.

Castrol Magnatec is 40% Ester polymer and it is these little strands that are statically charged and cling to the internals of the engine.

The Silkolene stuff maintains a 50 micron coating even after standing for 6 weeks.
Old 19 January 2000, 02:26 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

So would you recommend silkolene for a car which is left standing for two week stretches on a regular basis?
Old 19 January 2000, 03:02 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

My dealer supplies Magnatec only. They will not supply any fully synthetic oil and will only fill with customer supllied products at the owners risk to warrenty.

However, If Subaru have not bothered to test/endorse oils such as Mobil 1 MS or Silkolene, I cannot see how they could prove them liable in any warrenty claim.
Old 20 January 2000, 11:52 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I spoke to Chick in Subaru UK's Technical Dept and we ran through the specs on Silkolene.

They are happy for it to be used in their cars.

It would be very beneficial in a car that stands for long periods, as start up is where most engine wear occurs.
Old 22 January 2000, 05:47 AM
Wreckleford
Scooby Regular

What do you guys mea Mobil 1 is too thin? It is available in several different viscosities to suit whatever application.
Old 22 January 2000, 02:42 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I have used Silkolene Pro S on my import sti5 and will not use anything else.

After speaking to a number of garages they all rave about it. I had Castrol Magnetic at the 1000 mile service. The grey impoter said that for future services they would recommend better quality oil than this stuff. At the 6000 mile serive the Castrol Magnetec removed was 'gunk' - the garage siad - 'Christ, this is sh*t stuff'
Only thing about the Silkolene is that its quite expensive.

I will be using Silkolene to change the gearbox oil in a few thousand miles, as its supposed to remove the 'sometimes, notchy when cold feel of the gearbox'

There was a strand at one point that said Semi sythetic was OK. Its been put to me a number of times on this ' Would you put inferior quality oil in a performance car?' - no Fully Sythnetic can only be good. I am also informed that anything that is rated 0-40w is far too thin.

I must state that I am no expect - the above may be rubbish - its just what I have heard from a number of sources

Old 22 January 2000, 08:17 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I always use Comma Syner-g, it is a top quality fully synthetic 5/40 oil.
On the garage forcourt it sold as Esso Ultron (Esso and Comma are same company), but Comma is £20 for 5 litres and Esso is £32(ish) for 4 litres!
Because of this i change oil every couple of thousand miles to keep it as clean as possible.
Cheers...JAMES.
Old 22 January 2000, 09:40 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Cool

Helo again

looks like I started sumfin ere , thanks for the replies so far , the bit about the Comma "v" Esso is a good thread it's like who makes Tesco cornflakes , it's maybee not Kellogs but they taste ok ,and do the job just as well for less dosh !!!
What about Halfords synthetic oil anybody admit to using it and being happy ? who makes it ? sure as hell aint Halfords !!