Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

hestiating engine

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2000, 09:59 PM
simonR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

while excellerating my MY99 hesitates for a split second at 4k & 5,5k ish revs. This feels like a restriction? I changed to an ITG filter 1k miles ago but the problem has only just started (garage confirmed filter fitted ok)

Any clues /answers would help

thanks simon
Old 03 January 2000, 04:20 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Smile

Simon

Try changing the filter back to the std one and see if it clears up or not.
Old 05 January 2000, 11:19 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Did the garage check your AFM wasn't contaminated in any way? Have you changed fuel type recently? Super unleaded recently dropped to 97 ron.
Old 05 January 2000, 01:16 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Sunlip - thanks, changed back to orig air filter dinner time yesterday and improvement was noticed straight away. Now done 100+ miles and car back to original.

Moray - will get afm checked at next service, due 30k in 1k or so.

Moral of story - it seems that MY99 cars do not like any oil based air filters, ITG or other. I choose ITG from scoobysport as it did not disintigrate in to the engine, will now look at return as 1k usage and no mention of oil contamination problem at time of purchase does'nt make me happy.

(sorry for the 2 posting names, new comp at home, could'nt remember original p/word(simo)
and home comp is now ill

simon
Old 05 January 2000, 01:25 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I had same problem with my 99MY (PPP but with standard filter). Mentioned it at 7500 service, they cleaned the wastegate(?) problems solved (2500 miles since service)

Am looking at filter improvements myself, garage said they would(n't) fit a cone filter which should have no problems.

Having now waited over 6 weeks for Scoobysport to give me a call about my Driving Light order - I wouldn't count on getting a refund from them!!
Old 05 January 2000, 01:37 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

hang on a second..what are we saying here ?

loads of people run '99s on oiled filters with no problems.

Also..think about your evidence.

Was the MAF contaminated ? If so, was it cleaned ?
If you didnt clean it or it wasnt contaminated then how can it be the filter. If the MAF was contaminated due to oil it would still be !

One other explanation is that your filter is letting your car breathe properly but there is a problem with the fuelling such that it is leaning out (too much air not enough fuel) and replacing it with a lower-flow filter apparently "cures" the problem. Without fitting/inspecting it yourself you are also relying on a garage's opinion...

please avoid jumping to conclusions..how do you think Pete or the hundreds of ITG users feel if you condemn a product on a BBS ?
Old 05 January 2000, 01:48 PM
Bob Rawle
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simon
Think I agree with Lee here, if the maf is contaminated then just changing back won't "de-contaminate" as such. I also feel that it is an "breathing" related issue. The factory filter will definately restrict the airflow at higher revs as its more dense in construction. Over oiled Ramairs definatly caused issues but afaik Pete stopped using those ages ago.

Bob
Old 05 January 2000, 04:14 PM
Bob Rawle
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a further thought the maf is a bit of a slow sensor to react, could be that yours is one at the lower end of the "reactivity" tolerance and its not signaling the ecu as quickly causing the symptoms described. The resonator in the wing is partly there to minimise sudden changes in air flow.

Bob
Old 05 January 2000, 09:43 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, shows how much i know!...i actually use an ITG filter myself and must confess that i have never had a problem with it.

GaryC, i know you feel that Scoobysport should ring you but have you actually tried to call them back?. I must confess that if you actually go down to Scoobysport and see how busy the guys are, you'll understand why calls/emails may be delayed/missed etc on some occasions. I dont know where they find time to go to the toilet!

From my own personal experience (and i am sure this goes for anyone else on this BBS that has used Scoobysport), i can honestly say that you could not have a better bunch of guys working on your car. They are top notch, respectful, polite, know their stuff, have great enthusiasm for their products and have been the best outfit i have ever dealt with. Nothing is done under cover or away from your eyes and that is why i will continue to go back to them time and time again without hesitation.

Regards

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 05-01-2000).]
Old 06 January 2000, 09:02 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sunil - I wish I could agree, but having left messages for them, sent a total of 7 emails over the last 6-7 weeks, with an order - what more should I need to do? Do I need to beg to be a customer? Any other business would have lost my potential custom after two attempts. Even on Tuesday I mailed Pete Croney about the lights - my order is there if they/he has the service and products to satisfy!

Add in the other problems - lack of returned calls/mails, supply problems, failed delivery promises, defective bulbs/spoilers etc etc etc - does not fill with confidence!

They maybe a great firm when visting in person, but as a mail order firm, they fail miserably by all accounts I have received! ask Paul about his bonnet!

All I want is to give them my business - I would have thought that was their aim??
Old 06 January 2000, 11:34 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Smile

fair point people, no offence ment to any one, i perhaps jumped to the conclusion that old filter was instant fix so problem = ITG.

I will get the air / fuel mixture looked at along with the maf sensor to try & get the best from the car & let you know outcome

simon
Old 07 January 2000, 10:11 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Gary

I have checked all of my mail folders. I have 1 mail from you on the 12/9 and this was replied to on the 14/9. I have no other mail from you. Are you using our correct e-mail address?

All of my telephone messages are logged in a book and I don't have any to call you back. I try to speak to everyone that asks for me, but sometimes, as Sunil has said (and thanks for your comments ), this just isn't possible.

With regard to your order for lights, I have checked back to the start of October and we have not recieved an order from you. I also checked back through my paying book, just in case we had lost the ordering letter. Nothing.

No Mails, no calls, no orders, but we seem to be letting you down... I am bemused.

Simon...

Getting back to the subject of this mail, thanks Lee and Bob for pointing out what would be my thoughts. The problem cannot be AMS contamination, or it would still be there.

We have sold hundreds and hundreds of these filters and all other owners, without exception, have been pleased. The majority of these owners are using 98, 99 or 00 cars. The ITG in my own car has now done 26k, but several 99 cars have done well over 30k... on the same ITG filter. At the moment, this is of no benefit to you. I would refit it and ask your garage to do a Select Monitor reset. The ECU will then re-learn all of its parameters, with the extra breathing that the ITG provides. This should solve the problem. Out of interest, what fuel are you using?

If you are not happy with the filter, or any other Scoobysport product, we will give you a full and immediate refund. Our aim is to have every customer glad that they came to us.
Old 07 January 2000, 02:08 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Pete

Most mails (including enquiry, your response detailing the lights imminent arrival and subsequent order) have come from work Email - garyc@rkfs.co.uk. Unfortunatly I archive all mails over 2 weeks old, so can't give you dates - but I told you I would have a set, and give you card number etc when they arrived, in a mail early December.

If you can answer all question/fears I mentioned in that mail - then the order remains.
Old 10 January 2000, 05:34 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Pete, thanks for your response, the car is due a service in 1k or so, I will get the re-set done then and let all know outcome. Running on normal UL as tried SUL b4 ITG and got no apparent improvement in performance / mileage.

simon