Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Have I got a V8?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 1999, 10:19 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I haven't, but my MY94 WRX engine sounds like it! Its always sounded the same: uneven and 'rough n ready'. Reminds me of a high-performance american fuel-pi$$er.
The pull is good, although when cold it dips before revving. I'm happy with the performance but converned as to: a) whether I am getting 100% from the engine, and b) whether there is a (potential) problem.
I've only added a Magnet 4"x6" backbox, and I have run on NUL, but moved to SUL recently. The fuel makes no difference to the sound (ran it for months on SUL when I first got the car).
Does anyone else have a similar model sounding the same?

Thanks in advance

pilch
Old 17 November 1999, 10:32 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Hi,

The standard subaru exhaust manifold has unequal length piping from the cylinder exhaust ports to the turbocharger, the pipes from the nearside cylinders are longer than those on the offside. This is what gives your WRX the characteristic off-beat sound. It is perfectly normal for scoobies and, unless you are suffering power loss/unreliability I would just listen and enjoy!

Moray
Old 17 November 1999, 10:37 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Moray,

Nice way to put it! The car does sound good I must admit. What is the cheapest tuned pipe you've seen? I'm considering a new downpipe to increase torque, and tuned pipe may as well be included if the price is right.

cheers

pilch
Old 17 November 1999, 10:48 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

My 94WRX has a some type of Japanese performance exhaust with a 5inch pipe, It sounds more deadlier than a drag car. You can hear it coming! Ive had many cars ie Skylines and Evo's that have been much newer and modded, but this sounds 10 times better than those!

Harj....
Old 17 November 1999, 11:22 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Pilch.

I too am looking at the downpipe/header route, but have found out that an equal length header will cause me to 'lose' the fantastic flat four burble, as my car will effectively become a V4!!! I think I'll hold on that for a bit, perhaps try and find someone who's got one.
Downpipe is definite, though I still can't decide which one!

Stef.
Old 17 November 1999, 11:39 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Stef, same here. Not sure which to get. I read your (rather long) thread on this. What kinda prices have you got so far? SS are quoting $282+VAT + £63+VAT fitting. I may go for a Magnex system, as I have the BB. What BB do you have?

Harj, Don't get me wrong, I do like the rumble, but I'm paranoid about anything going wrong with it! NUL is crap in this country, and SUL still isn't good enough. I don't know how my engine is tuned, even though it has been reset a couple of times. I need a rolling road diag, but can't be arsed to spend a whole day at PE waiting for the test results.

pilch
Old 18 November 1999, 12:38 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Pilch.

I haven't really made many enquiries yet, as I'm waiting to see some at Donno. Are you going bt the way?
I have a Scorpion back/mid section, and they said they were soon to release a d/p to match, so I may wait and see.

Stef.
Old 19 November 1999, 02:21 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Stef,

Nope. I wish I was going to Donno though. Looks like most of you will be there. Even though I was at the Reading meet (1st there!) I didn't get to meet you, firefox or many of the others. I'll see you at the Daytona karting on 5th if you are going.
I had a word with Ben @ ScoobyMania about manifolds and DP's, also the Possum. He seems to know what he's talking about, and opened my eyes about tuning. Maybe you should give him a call and have a chat. Email me offline for his number.

pilch
Old 22 November 1999, 09:51 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Pilch.

I am already aquainted with Ben, as Scoobymania were the people that asked me to test their new AP Racing brake conversion at Donno!!!
See the thread in General for more details on how that went.

Stef.