Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

POSSUM LINK ECU

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 1999, 08:04 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rather than staying involved in a pretty pointless saga about PE Phase I conversion and its current 'consequences', I would like to bring up the subject of what has been, worryingly enough, filtered as a 'new solution' for all those hurt and many others who, so far have been not. Those reading my posts know I like to present my thoughts systematically, so here we go:

1) Possum Link ecu is, potentially, as good of a product of the kind as any other money can buy, no matter from which manufacturer and from which country. It's additional (main) advantage is that it can be programmed and re-programmed infinitely with the aid of the Tuning Module which can be purchased with the ecu board, as well as connected to a pc or a printer to download and/or print results and keep them on file. There is also a module called Lambda Link which connects to the lambda sensor and gives the driver quite a bit of useful information about the state of the air/fuel mixture as well as the CO level in percentage at various throttle/boost positions. This is all pretty well known and no need to describe further.

2) As I have already stated in my contribution on the 'other' subject, Possum Link, while potentially an almost perfect solution (and also available with software for all Imprezas of all model years) , is AT THE SAME TIME AS LETHAL AS ANY OTHER ECU OPEN TO CHANGES!!! Therefore, even if some people say 'if anyone is to blow my engine, let it be me' rather than 3rd parties, working with the Possum is an equally difficult matter of knowing the subject, understanding the ecu 'thinking' and also (very important) understanding the relationship and interaction between vital engine operation parameters (turbo pressure, fuelling, timing, etc.) So, Possum Link is NOT A GODSEND AND BLESSING FOR ALL DIY ENTHUSIASTIC members to go out and play with!!! Unless, of course, they know how to do it CORRECTLY AND SAFELY. (I, for instance, don't. At least not yet.)

3) Contrary to what some would like us (you) to believe, there is a VERY SMALL number of Possum Link units in the UK at this time. Unless the company founded recently to offer alternative upgrade solutions for Impreza has supplied some to their current (new) customers, I hope not to be wrong if I said there is LESS THAN FIVE Possum units in use in the UK to this date. If I am wrong, even better and I hope those we are unaware of will come forward. This, in turn, means that a lot of work needs to happen before any consistent and usable sets of parameters have been defined for all and sundry permutations of the Impreza over the years.

4) To my knowledge, there is only one individual in this country who has been working with the PossumLink for quite a while on his car (and probably helped a couple of acquaintances who also have it) and who I would happily declare COMPETENT in adjusting the available parameters to achieve the best result. He is (thank God for him) temporarily unavailable and will, for sure, spend hours in front of his computer upon his return to catch up with all the most recent development. The fact that this person (and we all know this is our dear Bob Rawle) drives an STi 2 version and has not (yet) looked into the Phase II possibilities also means something members should not forget. Time is required to achieve results on the newer version of the engine, as well. The fact that Bob knows a lot about it does not in any way mean there will not be others who will also be very able to tune the Possum, and if this is bound to happen, even better so. But, IT HAS NOT HAPPENED YET - ACTUALLY NONE OF IT HAS HAPPENED YET!! And, after all, Bob Rawle is not a nationwide supplier of PossumLink ecu setups.

5)I learned from this board that a new company offering alternative Impreza upgrade solutions has been founded and they, apparently, would like to promote and present PossumLink as their ecu option. This on its own is welcome and time will tell whether and to which extent they may succeed. I wish them very best of luck and hope their standard of approach, attitude and service will present us a new example of an 'above garage mentality level' (nothing derogatory, VERY FEW examples already exist). Please be aware that (to my knowledge) there has been very little work done for the Phase II engine in conjunction with the PossumLink and only a very few BASIC SETTING PROGRAMMES exist which can be used as a starting point, but not anywhere near final set of settings for a car in regular use. Again, caution and patience is required from those who are eager and interested.

6) The purpose of this topic is to ensure rational and thorough approach to this subject which, in view of the other most recent experiences, has already been talked about far too much and far too prematurely. Never ever forget that wherever there is a commercial interest involved, unpleasant things are almost bound to happen. Like Ford Cosworths many years ago, Impreza is the 'desert of the day' today. While we may live in a world (and country) where free enterprise is encouraged, make sure you do not let 'quick buck hunters and similar entrepreneurs' do anything you may regret.

Conclusion: PossumLink is a potentially wonderful product, but not a GUARANTEE of excellent results unless used as it is meant to be. In other words, if NOT used as it should be, it is more dangerous than all others you cannot tamper with. Wait and see what happens.

Allow me answer certain questions before they have even been asked: Yes, I bought a PossumLink months ago and have been supplied the basic program for PhaseII STi version 5 engine (without a flat sport anywhere, thank you). In the meantime, I have acquired a certain number of alternative programs which have been defined from experiments of various parties around the world for road and rallying use. None of them are anywhere near a 'definitive' one (for me or others), but are very useful to have to analyse and start the fine tuning to suit our cars, petrol, etc. I hope to have some more news of a pleasant kind before too long.

Hope this helps to those who are interested and has been written for the sake of long life of a fundamentally nice and very useful product. It would be a shame to see it sentenced to failure before it even had a chance to behave.

q.

PS. Needless to say, no conflict of interest or deliberate bias in my (bad) self with regard to the subject at the time of writing.

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 13-11-1999).]
Old 13 November 1999, 11:11 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

If I may add just a wee bit..

The standard Possum Link monitors for knock and retards ignition upto a maximum of 6 degrees if necessary. All knocks are logged and can be seen via the tuning module or downloaded logged data.

There is also available a "Knock Link", this can let the user monitor knock as it happens.

If anyone disagrees with the next statement please correct me, but an engine failure related to timing/fuelling will be accompanied by knocking ie detonation.

The ability of a driver to immediately spot knocking may be the difference between a blown engine and a pit stop/corrective changes.

So I would say that the Link is only "dangerous" if the knock link is not bought/monitored. This may be the biggest advantage it has imho.
Old 14 November 1999, 12:53 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm sorry but...

BPM : I do not remember anywhere in any thread where anyone was slagging the Possumlink. I, for one, was all for it, if you can't afford a Motec like me.

The flaming was because YOU tried to sell it If I remember correctly Subaru Manchester was your nominated sub-contractor who vehemently denied knowledge of such an appointment.

Get your website up, I'm keen to have a look at your possumbourne twin dump downpipe

quattro

There is in fact many solutions to ECU reprogramming other than those mentioned. Prova, Mines, Nagashima, Jun. Maybe where you are doesnt give you information/access to these companies but they will actually help fine tune MAPS of their ECU if you can send data logged from road runs you do in your car, info on mods done etc.

If you can Email DYNT whom has re engineered Imprezas that dont blow engines, it maintains reliability - but smashes gearboxes, his cars just turns out too much power, too much for the gearboxes anyway. Ironically in the UK now there is such a market for the Imprezas that companies are coming out with re engineered gearboxes (e.g Hewlett?) that SHOULD be able to take this power. We will know as soon as he gets the gears in. Irony in that after all this ECU hype UK's forte may not be ECU reprogramming but in internals engineering. Hence why the rally cars are prepared in the UK/Europe.

It seems that one has to leave electronics to the Japs and everything else to Europe/UK.
Old 14 November 1999, 01:06 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Sorry Lee, but I disagree.

I have had piston problems on a previous car as a result of lean running on boost, but the car wasn't knocking.

Hopefully any reasonable link map wouldn't produce fuelling as lean as this, but it is at least a possibility (and an expensive one ).

Rgds,

Alex

Old 14 November 1999, 05:06 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Quattro,

You're right, I'm aware of 3 people currently using the Possum, Bob Rawle, Graham Adams, and myself (you soon I hope).

Setting the Possum up, is not an overnight job, and it will take some time before anyone is able to offer it as a service.

It looks as if the Possum is going to be offered as a panacea, it's not.

As you say, used correctly it offers much, in the wrong hands, it offers a trip to the engine builders.

The lambda Link (or similar) is an absolute must.It shows exactly where you're running rich, lean, or the correct fuel ratio.

Knock can be checked on the tuning module, but it can't identify where in the map it has occured.You need to datalog to identify the fuel,boost,revs, and ignition zones.

The knock sensor on the Subaru is more than adequate, using it is the key.A more useful tool than the Knock Link, would be an exhaust gas temp' gauge, but they cost about £200, and most people won't want to spend the money.

I think poor old Bob's going to be a busy man.As good as he is, he isn't going to be able to produce maps for people overnight.

Mark.

Old 14 November 1999, 06:30 AM
BPM
Scooby Regular

Re:LINK

This is just a product launch statement in regards to the LINK which is now receiving the credit of being an alternative to re-map and piggypback upgrade.
When BPM first started mentioning it was a viable alternative based on experience , we were flamed , but like everything in life, what was not accepted yesterday is easily swayed by public opinion.
Now to cut a long story .... the data logger or trapper has been released. This allows the
driver to download "a drive" in the car and the unit will "show" the rich/lean areas. After "a drive" you download it to a PC where you can then "see" the data and by using the Handset Controller you can adjust timing through the entire zone.

If you have any further queries , please do not hesitate to email me or we can chat online with
ICQ (45940764)

Greg Nikolettos
BPM Marketing Division
Phone: (617) 3272-8885
Mobile: 0410 678 989
Fax: (617) 3218 8880
Old 14 November 1999, 10:17 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Nice to see some people have read my post already. I hope I have not wasted anyone's time writing it. I do not see much point in ME getting into much of a further discussion, but would like to add just this:

1) The purpose of my 'elaborate' was to INFORM and NOT to generate typical dialogues of 'this is the way it is - no, it is not' character. I really do not believe that members will have much use of people battling their 'arguments' publicly at this stage. I think it would be nice to maintain a serious level of discussing such an important subject and one can always communicate off line for further exchange of speculative thoughts. Please, do not get me wrong - I am not here to dictate or control anyone's 'behaviour on the board', but would, for once, like to see something dealt with in a genuinely constructive manner.

2) I read BPM's notification of another development for the Possum and, I am sure we will learn about it pretty soon. It would be good to know if this is BPM's or Link Electro Systems' creation and whether all usual sources of their products are already shipping it. In any case it sounds like a worthwhile addition, especially for those less than 100% experienced.

3) While I have not very much liked the BPM approach and attitude around what I have read on the bbs over the past few months, I have to give GN credit for one thing he said and I already mentioned in my earlier posts. Let us learn from the experience how quickly we 'make or break' any products which, after all, is always nothing but one of the options.

regards

q.
Old 14 November 1999, 10:22 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

Marks comments about and Exhaust Gas Temperature Anaylser are very important and should be noted by anyone thinking of getting a Possumn Link.

Turbo cars do not always run at what is considered the correct AFR ratio as extra fuel is being used to cool the engine and I know the amount of time that Mark has spent altering the settings on his car and this is because he has been cautious with the setup. There are alot of people out there who are not going to be so cautious and the possumn in the wrong hands will lead to more dead engines than the PE phase 1 setup.

This is not knocking the product as I am very close to buying the product myself but I think people really do need to be aware of what is involved in getting the best out of this product. It is not a 1/2 day job and your done.

If people are serious about the Possumn I would suggest that they also look at the costs of importing the kit directly from New Zealand as depending on the exchange rate this can be done much more cheaply than the UK suppliers of the product charge and it is also a possibility that the VAT man will not add his 17.5% onto when it comes into the country.

Darren
Old 14 November 1999, 11:04 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Direct from possumbourne..

Lee,
Thanks for your enquiry on Possumlink computors.
The 99mycomputor $1350.00
handcontroller is $ 285.00
seriallink $ 71.00
lambdalink $ 97.00
tailpipe extension $ 140.00
oxygen sensor [shielded ] $237.00
oxygen sensor [unleaded ] $ 97.00
knocklink $ 97.00
regards
Don Fenwick

yes Alexm you are right..running too lean will increase temps leading to failures..I wanted to highlight that the KnockLink is available..most people already know about the lambda link.

cheers
Old 14 November 1999, 03:54 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Malique - Thanx for the SMASH GEARBOX .. interested wit me HYBRID turbocharger????

U can buy the best Programmable ECU in the world but without BEST tuner .... is better to used the original unit.

Suggestion to all the PossumLink user - why don't U guys bring in tuner from Australia or New Zealand ..... safer way.

Step 1 - Call PossumBourne Motorsport and ask for their tuner rate .. it goes by hour and if I'm not mistaken .. it will cost U AUD$130 an hour and takes about 4-5 hour on Rolling Dyno per car.

Step 2 - Find out the Flight Return tickets price from Aust-UK-Aust ... and share the cost of the flight tickets.

Step 3 - Share ur home wit the tuner or give him B&B wit lunch and dinner for the duration of his/her stay .. most likely will be he ...*sigh*

Step 4 - Don't let FIREFOX know anything about this plan if U decided to go this direction....*smile*

I think this is the best way to do things. IS cheaper in the long run and trouble free too.

BONUS - U all get to LEARN on HOW TO USED/Programme THE SYSTEM.

Cheers .....

Old 14 November 1999, 04:13 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

DYNT..

You little...*%£$%£$%£!£$%£%£$%£%£!

I love you too... lol

I was gonna tell you about a really good cheap supplier of uprated tranny bits... but I wont now... go and blow another box

lol

J.

ps Got me those prices yet ?
Old 14 November 1999, 04:25 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Malique

Thank you for the enlightening revelations. Believe it or not, I DO know about quite a fe Japanese ecu solutions for the Phase II engines and even have some of them in my possession.

Here, however we are discussing something else which, guess what, from New Zealand and we will have to make the best out of it if possible.

You are right, UK seems to be THE place to try and market anything and everything that goes for the Impreza. However, it may go away as quickly as it has happened if things get out of hand as they very often do. All you need is a sufficient number of problems and the result is there.

Admitting that I am not intelligent enough to decipher the sense of humour and high amount of entertainment that obviously needs to give shine to every topic on this board, I shall now withdraw and let the wise ones continue.

Over to you boys (and girls, naturally)!

q.

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 14-11-1999).]
Old 14 November 1999, 05:56 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey..

Mr Q.. are you calling me a girl ?

DYNT.. I missed the part about the hybrid ?

One thing I would like to say to all future ECU upgraders.....

Dont rush out and commit to anything.. just because PE has had several problems... whats the rush ?

Let things settle down.. maybe the Link is good. But thats no reason why you should have to get one tomorrow....

Wait... see what else comes about.... I have listed several other options (ecu's). They are as good as the installer/mapper....

Take a step back.. let all this stuff settle down.. then make a wise and informative decision....and not one based on hast..speed...rumours...and misconceptions..

J. (the wise old man) *not*
Old 14 November 1999, 10:38 PM
BPM
Scooby Regular

Malique,

I admit it , I was to too keen to promote product when in fact I should have been informing. I have since found the "culture" of the BBS and have decided to adapt.
Subaru Manchester will still be doing maps for the LINK BUT will not disclose the fact until Peter Connolly and his team feel they are 100% confident in their solution implementation. I can understand your frustration if they denied it, but as they say "the truth is out there".
Website will be launched 1st December.

If you have any further queries , please do not hesitate to email me or we can chat online with
ICQ (45940764)

Greg Nikolettos
BPM Marketing Division
Phone: (617) 3272-8885
Mobile: 0410 678 989
Fax: (617) 3218 8880
Old 15 November 1999, 03:25 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

Red face

Q: My apologies for digressing from the point.
Old 15 November 1999, 10:14 AM
leestudd
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi All,

I would like to add a few points. I haven't had my 94 WRX for long (about three months) and I have been on the BBS even less. However, I do understand the basics of engine tuning and what you can and cannot do with turbo cars (ish).

I was suprised by the almost holy war going on between owners of different tuning solutions. It does seem if anybody has anything other than the PE system fitted, then they must be mad, sinners or stupid.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss who thinks what. However, when it affects advice given to the less knowledgeable from supposedly 'experts' then this is wrong.

If someone asks "What should I do to upgrade my ECU system", the answer shouldn't be "Go to Power Engineering and get their setup". The answer should be "What exactly are you after, how far do you want to go and what is your budget". (No disrespect to PE here, just an example).

I listened to everybodys advice on this board when I asked the question. Thanks to those who answered with unbiased views. However, I had to trust the advice from my local tuner because he was obviously more knowledgeable than most on this board. (Again, no disrespect).

In the end, I had the Dastek Unichip fitted and mapped. It worked out over 200 pounds cheaper than the PE system and does the same thing. Also, I didn't have to travel far, which is a plus. Now, I'm not saying it is better or worse than the PE system. Horses for courses. But I do think it is better value for money.

No, if you are thinking, "Man, why did he get that done, he should have had the PE system" then you are the people I am talking about.

Others on this board, say "I have the XYZ system fitted, and it does this and that and I am happy". Now that is fine. In fact it is very useful to other potential users.

OK, that's enough, I think I have made my point. Rant over.

Cheers

Lee S.

P.S. Wish there was a spell checker on here ;-)
Old 15 November 1999, 09:48 PM
Nico van Steen
Scooby Regular

Question

Greg,

Are there software upgrades offered for the PossumLink? I have the MiataLink (the MX-5 ECU from Link ElectroSystems)and at least once a year receive a new chip with software updates for improved operation.

Nico van Steen
Netherlands
Old 16 November 1999, 10:11 AM
leestudd
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

This Link system is sounding better everytime I hear about it. However, could someone clear up one point.

It is said that you can adjust the fuelling yourself using lamda feedback. Are you supplied with said sensor. If so, is it a wide range lamda sensor ? Otherwise, a normal sensor will reach the end of its range well before the mixture is rich enough to support the car under full load.

Cheers

Lee S.
Old 16 November 1999, 11:03 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Lee.

Yes you can, the Possum Link makes use of your own Lambda sensor. You don't need an extra one.

Are you possibly referring to the Lambda Link, which allows you to monitor real time your exhaust oxygen level (rich or lean).

This would then give you an indication of lean (or rich) running so that you could make any adjustments. (Very basic description).

Mike.
Old 16 November 1999, 11:33 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike,

(maybe related..I think Bob said he had wired his lambda link into the wiring harness so it could even be used with the standard ECU.)

the manual implies that there is only one connector on the board.

Thus if you want to use the KnockLink you cannot have the tuning module plugged in..true ?

Does this also mean that if you want to use the Lambda Link you cannot use it with Knocklink ?
Old 16 November 1999, 06:06 PM
DAZ
Scooby Regular

Cool

earlier in the thread you go on about exhaust emissions being to hot

what are the ideal running temps?

is there already an exhaust temp sensor in a sti?

if not were would you fit the temp sensor with out drilling and tapping exhaust.

can you get a combined temp\lambda sensor?
Old 16 November 1999, 06:08 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Lee.

The Knock Link and the Lambda Link are both 'stand alone items' and do not plug into the Possum Link board at all. They wire into the respective sensors to give you a visual indication for there relevant application.

Anybody who has a worry about 'Knock' (Pink(g)ing) may want to consider the Knock Link?

Knock will show on the tuning module but won't tell you where.

The socket referred to in the manual is for the datalogging or the adjustment via the Tuning Module. you can only do one of these at any one time.

Mike.
Old 16 November 1999, 06:53 PM
leestudd
Scooby Regular

Mike (others)

I wasn't actually sure what I was talking about

I was under the impression that the Possum could use your (standard) lamda probe for tuning purposes. However, most lamda probes are only 'in range' when at idle or up on cruise. They max out well before you get to full engine load.

I.e. your standard lamda probe would be no good in helping you to tune the system.

I.e. is a wide range lamda probe available with the Possum Link system.

Sorry if this confuses.

Cheers

Lee S.
Old 16 November 1999, 07:24 PM
Nico van Steen
Scooby Regular

Now I am confused too!!!

AFAIK the ECU uses the O2 readings and adjust mixture per zone at preset target values (per pressure row). Bob has told me that the read out on the handheld controller isn't 100% accurate, but by using the correct target settings and letting the ECU constantly program, in normal circumstances you won't run lean or too rich. No need for the Lambda Link.

I thought the same applied to the use of knock link. It's my understanding that the ECU uses the factory knocksensor. By making datalogs through the seriallink you can monitor in which zones you get a knock and then adjust timing accordingly.

The way I read the manual the ECU also comes with electronic boost control.

Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Regards,

Nico van Steen
Old 16 November 1999, 10:02 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

No you are both right.

It is confusing!!

Lee on full load the engine comes off of the Lambda sensor and goes onto a Map. A wide range Lambda sensor would be better but not essential, they are not fitted as standard.

Nico 99% right, Bob 'advises' that you have the Lambda Link fitted.

The reasoning I understood to be that if anything does go wrong you will be able to tell immediately, unless every time you drive your car you have time to Datalog analyse and correct Etc.

Mike.
Old 17 November 1999, 08:27 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Q, good points, and thanks for starting this discussion.

I for one want to tune my Impreza, but probably late next year to be realistic. After Anders experience lately, I am following this closely.
Does anyone know if prodrive have had any problems with the PPP?

robski
Old 17 November 1999, 10:05 AM
leestudd
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Thanks for that, glad I'm right for a change

Do you know if it is possible to have the various Link systems use a full range lamda sensor ? One of the best ways to see how the mixture is working under load.

Cheers

Lee S.
Old 17 November 1999, 11:41 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Lee.

Don't know about the compatability for sure but would err on the side of the Possum Link not being able to read and deal with the wide band Lambda, (Normal OEM is narrow band I believe).

This is not a definitive answer, mainly based on the fact that the cost to purchase a wide band Lambda and the hardware to read it correctly (Motec) is about £2,300.

Principally though you are correct (again) that full range Lambda does give more accurate information as you describe.

Mike.
Old 18 November 1999, 06:59 PM
Seraph
Scooby Regular

I recently bought the Link for my STI 5 Type R. Here are my experiences so far:

1. The link definately makes good power as it allows RMP specific boost and adjustments for timing and fuel etc.

2. I find the link weak in the area of idling management. E.g., my car idles between 800-1000 and when I blipp the trottle, the RMP can sometimes drop to 500 which can result in stopping engine completely. If anyone out there has advise on how they get idling close to standard ECU, please enlighten me!

3. Warm starts seem to be a problem. E.g. starting the engine when it is warm, often results the need to crank the car up more than once before it stabilises. Usually, the first and second times, the RMP drops too low and the car engine goes dead.

4. I have yet to register any knocks with knock sensor turned on. I drive the car pretty hard and am surprised at this fact.

5. My factory intercooler waterspray automatic feature no longer works. I am still waiting for Link to build compatibility for this.

6. Due to the large amount of variables, I really long for a dyno tested good map to start. But currently, all the maps seem to be still experimental. Unfortunately for me, there is no dyno facilities available in my country!

Help from all happy and experienced owners much appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Seraph (edited 19-11-1999).]
Old 20 November 1999, 12:09 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Seraph, i'c water spray isn't working? why not consider a water injection kit? it's much better that way. by the way, which country in which hasn't got rollers.

Quick Reply: POSSUM LINK ECU