Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Alternative ECU options...

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 1999, 08:28 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am still interested in tuning my car using a chip upgrade or remap.

Whilst I like to consider myself a fairly "bright" person, I do acknowledge that I do not have the technical expertise to program chips or alter maps myself.

For a person like myself looking for a "plug and go" solution, what options are available ?

I am undeniably swayed by some of the recent reports on the BBS and would also be concerned about using a Japanese ECU set to high-octane fuel.

The high-profile chip tuning outfits based in the UK have also had a fair amount of negativity posted in the past.

Has anyone tried Australian chips (as they use 95 RON)?

I would also like to try and keep this thread objective and free of political comments or advertisements.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 15 November 1999, 03:39 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

GavinP: I believe Japanese ECUs can be tuned to run whatever ron u want. Make the request when u place the order.

Old 15 November 1999, 09:38 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Malique,

Could you, please provide us with an up-to-date list of trustworthy (?) Japanese companies that produce management computers for Phase I and Phase II engines for the Impreza, their phone and fax numbers, e-mail addresses and web sites where applicable. I think this would be something members would love to look into, if for no other reason just to keep in touch with the developments and available products.

I could list quite a few, but I feel you (and DYNT perhaps) could do it more thoroughly and completely. In particular, those who can map specifically as per client's requests and requirements (such as Mine's, for example).

I know it may be a long post - if you prefer, let us know whether we should email you and you could reply with a text file attachment giving all the information.

Thanks in advance if you decide to be kind enough to do it.

regards
q.

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 15-11-1999).]
Old 15 November 1999, 09:03 PM
Lonnie
Scooby Newbie

Hi Gavin Here in Australia I'm using a microtec replacement ecu in my98 wrx which also has a vf22 turbo and larger topmount intercooler with water spray(frontmount is next on the purchase list)3"exhaust and I'm producing 154kw at the wheels.
Mid 12s 1/4 mile time.
The microtec comes with a hand controller as do most replacement ecu so it can be mapped and adjusted correctly, taking fuel quality and boost etc etc into consideration.
I'm extremly happy with the microtec and it cost $1100 with the hand controller.
But there are a lot of other good replacement ecu available also.Haltech,Motec
possum,just to name a few.It generally comes down to the guy tuning it in for you.
The only problem I have is the clutch,not strong enough with the aggro it's receiving.
Hope this helps you...
Old 16 November 1999, 04:34 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

My darling Q.

My objective is only to inform generally that there are established ECU alternatives in Japan, anyone resourceful enough can pursue the matter individually.

For your information DYNT is a motorsports tuning outfit, obviously listing out the suppliers compromises its business interests. Throughout postings DYNT has never attempted nor will attempt to sell anything to anyone here. By virtue of the close association with the proprietor I feel priviledged with useful information and contribute what I reasonably can.

However this does not prevent you from sharing your knowledge and sourcing hardware on your own. If you can, list the ECU stuff you have, where you got it from and how the car feels with each unit. Maybe we can take it from there.

Thanks.

M.

[This message has been edited by malique (edited 16-11-1999).]
Old 16 November 1999, 09:41 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Malique,

Thank you for being so kind and considerate in your response (in particular your analysis of bussiness and commercial interests and possible conflicts therein). I am confdient it will be of invaluable use to all members of the board.

Incidentally, I have no idea who or what DYNT is or was. I simply specified the name used on posts. Also, I am not your darling. If you like winding up serious people, please choose another victim.

q.

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 16-11-1999).]
Old 16 November 1999, 11:40 AM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

WARNING - Motorsport is DANGEROUS for Serious non humour ppl ..... well ... FAST ROAD CAR.... that is wat I meant.

Malique - I agree wit U .... *sod* .. see wat U have put me into ... very tight spot.

Mr. Quattro - Do ease a bit wit life .. have lots of humour and learn to know the ppl. that Ur dealing wit.... at times we can learn something from each other. Car in general is an interesting topic ... especially WRX. If U have anything that U like to know ... U can always e-mail me direct... I would be happy to ease Ur pain... not to worry .. others do the same too.

I'm here to learn from ppl. like U and the rest .. to know wat they want for FAST ROAD CAR... learn from their problems and complaints ... hopefully I can prevent it from happenin' in the future.

This BBS is very interesting but can get out of hand at times.... so take it easy everybody ... and smile.

Cheers.

Old 17 November 1999, 02:57 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

ouch.

*strike that one out of my darling list*
Old 17 November 1999, 01:20 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Mal,

Hmm.. Harsh. If you need members for your darling list, I'll be a proxy

pilch

PS - I'm sure Stef will too
Old 17 November 1999, 02:36 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Maliques 'darling list' could get very long.
Hi, Mr Malique.
Old 17 November 1999, 02:53 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Children....children

Why is it that I always have to look after you three...

you all need to get on...

*sighs....looking at DYNT, Malique and Quattro*

lol

J.