Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2003, 06:53 PM
jubba6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have just brought a 1995 Legacy 2.0 Turbo (uk model), the previous owner told me that he had a lots of mods on the engine, bored out to a 2.2, oil galleys increased etc, I can believe it the way it goes. On the second day I had it a knocking noise appeared which seems to be coming from the passenger side head.(sounds like hydraulic lifter) when the car is reved the speed of the knock increase's. I checked the oil which is approx 10mm above full mark. Could this have caused the problem, could it be more serious that just a tappet, any suggestions on were I may be able to get a workshop manual for the car or engine.
Old 13 November 2003, 08:43 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Does the knock get any quieter when warm? Does it only happen when cold?
have you tried disconnecting the plug lead to each cylinder on that side to identify which cylinder is giving problems?
It could be a few things which do include piston slap or worse still a crank bearing,all dependent on if the noise is constant or dissappears when warm [ish].
Can you post further information about the problem.
Old 13 November 2003, 12:19 PM
jubba6
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanx for the response.

The noise actually appeared when the car was at full operating temp. I had been trying the car out up to about 7000rpm (but no red line etc). So the noise appears to be consistent hot or cold. Another point is the guy said he always uses Shell 10/40 semi-synthetic oil, is this correct.
Old 13 November 2003, 12:33 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, you have a Legacy, the heads are noisey, simple as that.

On mine, the noise became unacceptably loud, so I now change the oil and filter every 3750 miles (or so).

I tried Mobil 1 motorsport 15/50, which was good to start, but expensive. At the moment I am using Halfords 5/40 fully synthetic, which seems good. ALthough it's not great oil (but can't be too bad) I think it's better off with cheaper oil more often. I also tried Wynns hydraulic lifter adittive, but have moved away from that in favour of more frequent oil changes.

The problem is the unreliable hydraulic lash adjusters, which are like a pinto engine. The cam acts on a lever arm, and the lash adjuster sits at the pivot of the arm.

You can get them replaced, at about £600 for a set inc labour, but that's not great.

The really annoying thing is the noise can come and go. Mine is noticable that it's noisey at say 2000rpm, let it drop to idle and it goes quiet, bring the revs back up, and it's still quiet.

At some time in the future when the engine is out, I will make properly shimmed solid adjusters for the heads, which will cure it. Another cure is fit the heads from an impreza, but you need coil packs, ideally pistons to match the CR, some cover parts and it can be a pain.

Paul
Old 13 November 2003, 01:19 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Pavlo, that is exactly what mine does too. Wish there was a cheap fix...
Old 13 November 2003, 03:06 PM
jubba6
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks for the advice.

I am still a-bit worried though as the engine sounded fine when I bought it. The noise is there regardless of temp or revs, even at tick over it is quite loud. Where is the best price for tappets and can any one advise me where i can get a workshop manual.

Regards

Jubba
Old 13 November 2003, 03:26 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a workshop manual for a legacy, but most of it is covered by the impreza one which is available.

The heads are a mystery, AKA voodoo heads. The best advice I can give you is keep the oil clean, and give it time. Sometimes it's as if the lash adjuster drains down, and wont refil with oil. The manual for the 2.5 single cam states you have to prefil them with oil when fitting.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, even though I know it sounds terrible. Just hope that one day the noise will stop, it often does!

Cost to replace is about £28 per adjuster for the parts, plus labour. SInce you don't know how which one is noisey, you need to get them all replaced really.

More frequent oil changing is a cheaper way and probably better for the engine anyway.

Paul
Old 13 November 2003, 09:41 PM
yellow scooby
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

i think its a no no. on the tappets, took my scooby to a number of garages to find out what the tapping noise from the engine was, everyone said its the tappets. 2 months later the engine went bang, found noise to be big end bearings.