Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MOTEC ECU - any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 1999, 09:40 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is there anyone out there who has given his/her trust and confidence to what could easily be THE ecu for the STI (up to Version5!!)? While expensvie, too many people have told me it is brilliant not to mention data logging facility and self-fine-tuning as per MoTec's instructions.

Thanks a lot.
q.

By the way, Tokyo Motor Show is a beautiful place to be just 24 hours after Earls Court. And,yes, quite a few interesting creations for next year.
Old 20 October 1999, 09:53 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy...

Talk to Autosportif...

I believe they have fitted Motec systems to Scoobs..

The Motec will work on all Scoobs (all cars). You have to butcher (replace) the wiring loom to fit it... it doesnt plug into the standard sockets, hence it will "fit" onto any scoob (with a few mods) lol

J.
Old 21 October 1999, 02:06 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Quattro,
Depends on yr budget n what usage U want for. They have various models like M4, M48, M8. All models come in Clubman, for moderate usage to Pro, for serious pro series. Pro series have many functions while Clubman has a few lesser. They look the same but it's modes are locked out using a secet coding which has more than 10 digits. No point breaking it.
They also have adaptor to suit many cars...give Motec UK a ring or mail...anyproblems, ask DYNT. He's dealing more to the UK side...I just deal with the OZ side...happy trials!
Old 21 October 1999, 09:27 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

In the deepest depths of grey areas in my brain I seem to remember someone having trouble with the air-con and water-spray..arent these controlled by the Subaru ECU (which is effecively replaced?)

On the goodside everyone who's commented on the Motec seems to rate it as the best for pure engine management, at a price.
Old 21 October 1999, 10:22 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thank you for the replies so far. In order to save time to those nice enough about to assist, allow me to say that I know all the theory about MoTeC products. What I kindly asked for was EXPERIENCE rather than facts ABOUT their products. It all sounds great on paper and MoTeC also say that have devised a proper road-going (read: TORQUE) ecu for the Imprezas of all MYs and kinds (incl. STI5 and UK MY99). Knowing this is possibly the most expensive ecu on offer I nevertheless hoped a few people may have acquired it and could feed back their practical findings. Specification, types, models, dealers who sell them, budget, etc. are not an issue here.

Sincere thanks for your help again!
q.
Old 21 October 1999, 03:41 PM
RichiB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yo Quattro
I run a Rolling road tuning company in Cheltenham. We have got extensive experience in fitting and setting up MoTeC systems from STIs to a Bi turbo 6R4. All the road car conversions we have done on Scoobies have been plug and play systems which require very little setting up ,they also plug directly into the ECU loom so require no cutting and shutting of OE loom.
In our experience all aspects of the engines operation are improved from the drivability and power to in many cases the economy.
This is not a sales pitch,I am just trying to let you know how good the system really is. Its power and flexibility is second to none

Rich
Old 21 October 1999, 06:13 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Oh no... I've heard that plug n pray term elsewhere...
Old 21 October 1999, 06:57 PM
RichiB
Scooby Regular

Question

Whats the story Lee???
Old 21 October 1999, 07:07 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheltenham? Where the hell is that ? lol

What company ? It must be a 4WD RR ?

What plug in mods have you used ?

J.
Old 22 October 1999, 09:54 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

ok, if affordable, go for the Motec, maybe say an M4 Pro if U're not running secondary injectors. There's programme for every car n no hassle as there's an adaptor to connect n convert the original loom to suit the Motec nicely. If tuned correctly it's gonna be a killer even if the car's not really mod. Whatever it is, U need the right programmer to set the car right. Good luck.
Old 22 October 1999, 04:23 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Richi,

What sort of cost/performance are we talking here? I've got an MY94 WRX, no mods. I will require further remapping after mods, therefore I need a remapping costing. How would Motec compare to, say, a standard phase 1 ECU remap?

Answers OK via email.

pilch
Old 22 October 1999, 04:40 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Two days ago I have driven an STi4 with the MoTeC ecu and it was then switched over to the PE Phase 1 (on the same car).(Don't forget that with MoTeC it DOES PLUG AND PLAY, no matter what some people would like to believe!).
PE Phase 1 still is as good as it is known to be, but there is absolutely no comparison as the MoTeC is a completely different thing and developed to a much higher degree, primarily for Group N cars.The conversion is monstrously good in every aspect - loads of torque from VERY LOW revs, power and then safety in the highs! With the data logging ability as well as the software that enables one to up load small changes (as clearly instructed by MoTec or done by themselves) one can make the car do exactly what is required or wanted. I think I may even be mad enough to go for MoTeC's digital dashboard if someone can install it neatly enough for me!!

Two things will happen now:
1)a whole division of those who cannot afford the MoTeC will start finding all sorts of reasons to criticise it. That is absolutely fine and only confirms how good PE1 is and that one should get what one pays for.
2) those who choose not to understand plain English will see the above comments as 'how bad the PE1 conversion is' which, again, is total nonsense. I can only hope that DP understands better than that. The man is so good at what he does within the limitation that the cost of his upgrade imposes.

Hope this makes it all a bit clearer and thanks again for all the input (as well as unrelated chats along the line).

q.
Old 22 October 1999, 06:38 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Question

Where can I find more info on the price and availability of the motec systems?

Cheers

Dave
Old 22 October 1999, 09:43 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

David

Most information is available at