Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction kit or ITG

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 1999, 07:05 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Should I fit an induction kit or an ITG filter?

My car is a 98MY which is currently standard but I am planning to change the rear box and filter. My aim is for maximum mid range torque and not maximum BHP.

Also, how often does an ITG filter need changing?
Old 14 September 1999, 08:40 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Unsure whether the ITG filter will give you more torque or not, but it will not need replacing.

It's a foam filter that's oiled. It will need cleaning, and to be re-oiled. I'm unsure how often though.

Andy
Old 15 September 1999, 12:30 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

.......and they make a cool noise too....if you like that sort of thing.
I changed to an induction kit from a Ramair filter, and ther's a definite improvement in response. I also have a different exhaust.

Stef.
Old 15 September 1999, 12:57 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I was at Power Engineering this morning, and had a long chat with David Power about many topics including air filters.

It's a known problem with Ramair filters that they are too "wet" and can contaminate the hot-wire sensor in the air intake with oil. This is the reason that I switched to ITG, since these are not as messy and are claimed to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, David tells me that they are seeing contaminated sensors even with ITG filters, and recommended that I avoid any kind of oiled filter, whether made by Ramair, ITG, HKS or anyone else. Recommended alternatives are K&N panel filter (impregnated cloth, but completely dry to the touch) or an induction kit.

I have taken the plunge with a Blitz induction kit, which is being fitted today. Apparently they breathe a bit more freely than the panel filters and clean the air better. Whatever, they certainly look the part! I just hope it's not _too_ noisy...

-= mike =-
Old 15 September 1999, 08:03 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I think the general opinion is that

a) The filter is just a small part in the whole system and thus makes small differences.
b) There's no real difference between a good panel filter and an induction kit, at least not on an otherwise standard car.

Definitely to be considered though..have heard that any failures in the induction system will be dealer fixed BUT NOT if you have an induction kit. They don't mind a panel filter change, after all the prodrive pack used to fit one.
Old 15 September 1999, 11:12 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Lee,

Have you actually driven a car fitted with an induction system? They do make a difference to turbo response and high end power (this is more significant with a less restrictive exhaust).
Old 15 September 1999, 05:21 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

The blitz sounds great when you start the car first thing in the morning. It's a sort of metallic hissing noise - strange that it seems to go once the car has warmed through.
Once on the move, you can hear the air sucking into the filter and gear changes results in the Ptisssssssss noise.

The blitz has aided throttle response and the dyno chart showed improved torque and BHP low down in the rev range.

Im not sure how much the ss downpipe and Bbox is aiding all the aural changes though.

Cheers,

NeilR
Old 16 September 1999, 11:45 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Update: the induction kit definitely makes its presence heard, but with some _wild_ noises! Sounds really futuristic, very much in keeping with the car. Seems to be running better now, too (but the hotwire was smothered in cack from the ITG, apparently)