Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 1999, 12:21 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon,

I know a lot of people say that the induction kits are noisy and can be quite intrusive, but after seeing (hearing) Shaggy's car at Box Hill, I think they sound great!

Personal choice really, but I think there is a minimal difference in performance! I'd rather hear the pop's and bang's of unburnt fuel from my ScoobySport downpipe, than hear induction noise!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 03 July 1999, 11:02 AM
Jonboy
Scooby Newbie

Now that the initial shock of the deterioration of my bank balance has set in I want to start treating my 98 sti v4.

One of the changes I want to make is fitting an induction kit.

Has anyone any experience in this?, any suggestions?

Many thanx

[This message has been edited by Jonboy (edited 03-07-99).]
Old 05 July 1999, 03:47 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Hi Jonboy,

I am currently trying an HKS super power flow filter on a 96wrx car. This type of filter is much less noisy on later cars (reworked induction path), although the noise is a question of personal preferance.

The system does make a noticable improvement in two areas. High end power is improved (more so when used with a good sports exhaust system), this means you have to be more wary of the redline because the engine continues to pull hard towards it, rather than trailing off well before! The more useful gain is the reduction in turbo lag (again more so with a good less restrictive exhaust), which is of more help in day to day driving.

On the minus side, the filter can be quite noisy, this is a problem with older cars, not so much newer ones like yours.

My car certainly feels a bit more urgent with the HKS filter fitted, more so than with a K&N element/standard airbox combination.

Moray
Old 07 July 1999, 10:13 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The most important thing to check, with any air filter, is what it's filtration qualities are.

If it doesn't filter to below 10 micron, don't fit it.

The filter is there for a reason, get some technical info before buying. If particles get through the filter, the first thing they hit is the air flow meter, the next thing is the blades of the turbo.

Old 07 July 1999, 10:57 AM
TimK
Scooby Regular

I agree with Pete.
Having had an HKS Super Power Flow filter on my UK spec MY97 Turbo and STi 5 along with experience of K&N / ITG replacement panel filters in the same cars - I would go for the panel filter every time.
The K&N and ITG filters are very effecient and I don't think the gains with an HKS filter to be that great. Keep your money and stick to a K&N or ITG filter.
The constant sucking under the bonnet with the HKS, also drives you mad after a couple of months!!!!

Tim
Old 07 July 1999, 06:38 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

I have been using HKS panel filter for the past 2 years without having any problem with the compressor blade.

Using oiled type of filter might give problem to the air flow meter and combustion process.

10 micron and below would be better. If you could get the spec. of the air filter please let us know.
Old 12 July 1999, 11:32 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I have details of a MIRA (Motor Industry Research Association) test done on all of the main brands of panel filter.

The test measures how retained dust affects the perfomance of the filter, showing the life of the filter and its performance during that life.

You will not be surprised why some of the best known brands do not advertise the results of the test.

If anyone wants a copy, I can mail an Excel spreadsheet and graph of the results.

Please mail me direct, rather than posting a request to this thread.
Old 16 July 1999, 08:12 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have an HKS Induction kit and an HKS Hiper exhaust fitted.

I have to say that the cacophony of the exhaust more than covers the whistle from the induction kit.

The real joys are better pick up, much more willingness to rev, pops and bangs like you wouldn't believe and a superb noise on full bore acceleration with the induction kit providing the high tones and the exhaust rumbling like thunder. A great combination. Going to PE soon and hope the figures bare out the subjective changes. Will update once done.

David
Old 17 July 1999, 10:39 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Can anyone give me a contact number for ITG or a supplier or a part No for a 99 sport panel filter...thanx in advance
Old 18 July 1999, 03:20 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Kev speak to Scoobysport on 01268 590085 I think they are the sole supplier at the moment.
Old 18 July 1999, 09:25 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Ta for that..... scoobie sport must rate very highly amongst this bbs...everyone recomends 'em are they really as good as they sound !
Old 19 July 1999, 01:04 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Kev,

Are ScoobySport as good as they sound??? Well I'll give you my honest opinion and it's yes! I got my car, and decided on a ScoobySport backbox, as recommend by a chap I use to work with (Thanks Nigel!)

Took the car down to ScoobySport, and met a man who was not trying to sell me things, but a man who could give me his honest opinion, and speak from the heart about Subarus. The man was Pete Croney!

I thought my brakes were (for want of a better word) shagged. I was toying with the idea of big brakes and told Pete so, but he told me there was ample pad and disk left, so I settled for a backbox and Goodridge brake lines.

I went back a week later, and show a lovely 22B there, and met some great people also into their Subarus. The place is friendly and welcoming.

While a downpipe (which again, I would highly recommend) was being fitted to the car, Stuart took me out for a spin in his Type-R. WOW!! It was amazing, that a complete stranger would be so friendly and show what his car could do!! Shame he got rid of it, but he found one pretty quickly! I think there is a tread on here about it! An hour wasn't it???

Pete also fitted some clear side indicator lenses to my car. Bear in mind was trying to shut up shop on a Saturday, and he was flying off on holiday a few hours later. Sorry if I held him up Mrs. Croney!!

I may sound like an advert, but it's rare in this day and age to find such good customer service and care! When I take my car there, I know that both me and the car are going to be well looked after. I would recommend highly recommend ScoobySport to any owner, new or old!

If Pete sells it, I'd buy it from him before considering anywhere else, even if it would save me a couple of quid. I'm just waiting for Pete to start doing engine mods!!!

Regards
Andy

MY97, Leather, Air con, Prodrive spoiler, Prodrive lowered, Prodrive quickshift, PTS boost gauge in a Power Engineering A-pillar pod, ScoobySport backbox and downpipe, Goodridge steel brake hoses, clear side indicators and Scooby Do hanging off the rearview mirror!

[This message has been edited by Andy Tang (edited 19-07-99).]