Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Advice wanted....

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2003, 10:32 PM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an STI 2 with Knocklink fitted. Always use Optimax and Millers. When travelling to Cornwall have noticed more than usual activity on the knocklink. I have had the car since March, and refitted sensor of knocklink to the main block, was on inlet manifold before. Have had some activity through the Summer, but never all lights. I know its cooler now, and car feels like its going better, but...

After just filling up with Optimax, and one bottle of millers. When hitting 4.5 - 5.5K in top gear I get all lights to light up. Car seems to be boosting ok, at about 17 psi Peak then settling at 14 psi.

Once saw this added another bottle of Millers, but I assume that this would not mix that well with fuel already in tank. After a couple of miles, tried again, and the knocklink activity was less. Tried again today, and sill getting more activity that what I want.

Do not really want to drive car hard, until I know what is causing the extra detonation, or I assume its det. Could it be a bad batch of Millers???? What can I check, and any solution??
Old 04 November 2003, 10:57 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Could try swapping the millers for NF maybe ?

Steve
Old 05 November 2003, 09:17 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Could have been a bad batch of Optimax. How's your MAF sensor? Any MAF related problems? You say the car feels like it's going better. Is that down to the cooler weather, or a leaner mixture due to a failing MAF...?

Regards,

Ade.
Old 05 November 2003, 09:27 AM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

I have not had any MAF related problems. I think the car is going better becase of the cooler weather. I know some people only run their imports on Optimax and no booster with no problems, thats why I do not understand why I am getting problems with 2 bottles of Millers and a new tank of Optimax.

Cannot be doing the bearings any good!!! Could be an over sensitive sensor, but you can actually see the lights pulse all the way up. Only really seen it when hitting 4.5k+ in fifth gear.

Car is standard apart from a full decat.
Old 05 November 2003, 09:39 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

If it's only "Christmas Treeing" on this current tank of Optimax, then it is possible it was a bad batch. The only way you'll know for sure is to use it up carefully and then see what happens on your next fill up.

Is the sensor now fitted beneath the N/S of the intercooler?

You would expect it to be more active in 5th, due to engine load.

Regards,

Ade.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:37 PM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

I am going to reset the chip, and then refill with fuel and millers. Hope its just a bad tank. Going to take it easy, and see how it goes.

Sensor is below IC.
Old 05 November 2003, 08:00 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I had Knocklink activity using Optimax and Millers, changed to NF and its all quiet now.

DaveW.