MY03 ecutek + exhaust advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2003, 07:05 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello Boyz,

I bought a 4door MY03 WRX and I am quite interested in the Ecutek upgrade. The only mod so far is a Remus backbox. But I am planning on replacing the downpipe and the two-piece centre section with de-cat versions as well as replacing the standard air filter with an ITG panel.

-what exactly is ecutek3 and do you know whether it is going to solve the CEL issue that will result from the de-cat

-the car is in Bulgaria so I will have to mail in the ECU to get it remapped. Is that much worse than having it tuned on a proper rolling road?

-Can you advice me on exhaust vendor, both Scoobysport and Hayward and Scott quote similar prices?

-Is the standard uppipe a good idea with this setup + ecutek?

-What approximate bhp is this setup going to yield?

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you,

Stefan
Old 15 October 2003, 09:22 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

-what exactly is ecutek3 and do you know whether it is going to solve the CEL issue that will result from the de-cat
Ecutek 3 is a custom remap of the car to suit your driving style and modifications. It can be programed to ignore the P0420 error code.

-the car is in Bulgaria so I will have to mail in the ECU to get it remapped. Is that much worse than having it tuned on a proper rolling road?
The mods you quote are fairly common. What you will recieve via the post will be a generic map for a decatted car. This is called Ecutek 2. It will be a bit different to a Tek 3 but not a lot.

-Can you advice me on exhaust vendor, both Scoobysport and Hayward and Scott quote similar prices?
Personnal choice. Scoobysport however are Ecutek dealers and if you buy the exhaust and Tek 2 together you may be able to negotiate a good deal

-Is the standard uppipe a good idea with this setup + ecutek?
The standard up-pipe on a MY03 does not contain a cat so changing it would not make a great deal of difference.

-What approximate bhp is this setup going to yield?
270+ bhp

Regards

Steve
Old 16 October 2003, 01:35 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

TSL is a new company that is dealing with Ecutek.

They also sell their own range of exhausts.

www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk

The other option you can go for is a Japanese exhaust system which is of a 3" system producing better flow and then getting ecutek with that.

Bobby
Old 16 October 2003, 08:17 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hayward and Scott use the same Man (Pat) as Scoobysport and various others do , to do their mapping.
Old 16 October 2003, 09:50 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Question

Iz a Tek 2 from lets say TSL, Powerengineering and Scooby the same thing or does it differ between the vendors?
Old 16 October 2003, 10:36 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Smile

It will be the same !
Old 16 October 2003, 11:12 AM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

good to see someone else modifying a brand new wrx. I did mine a few months ago and am still grining like an idiot everytime i put my foot down. From researching all the available tuning companies, taking peoples advice, and using my own "gut feel" I chose Xtreme Scoobies in Essex to perform my Ecutek remap and Hayward and Scott for the exhaust, down and up pipe. Xtreme are easily the nicest bunch of fellas and most trust worthy around and believe me there arent many people I would trust with my brand new MY03 WRX. As for Hayward and Scott I found their Exhausts to be really, really well made with a lifetime guarantee - it really doesnt get any better than that (plus if you ask Ian really nicely he'll make any exhaust tip you fancy - oval, round, outwardly rolled lip, titanium tip, etc).
BTW - Xtreme and Scoobysport both use Pat for Ecutek'ing their chips.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:12 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I don't think the tek map from the different places is the same, although the differences are minor. For instance my MY02 TEK2 (from power engineering, was set up on the rollers there) runs to peak boost of 1.18bar (1.15 held), and I believe some other maps go as high as 1.25. The actual data in the map will be subtlely different, although the difference between the various maps will be fairly minor, IMHO. And with exhaust (APS with sports cat), up-pipe, ported headers and Tek, I got 284bhp/272lbft.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:55 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

The standard up-pipe on a MY03 does not contain a cat so changing it would not make a great deal of difference

So would it be correct to assume then that the MY03 WRX has only two cats- one in the downpipe and one in the mid-section
Old 16 October 2003, 05:30 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Sapkan

I think we mailed the other day, but here's a couple points to consider...

Scoobysport only do custom maps for cars that come to us. The maps we load onto ECUs that are mailed to us are our own development and will not be the same as TSL, Power Engineering (if these companies offer this service) or anyone else.

To date, we have our maps being used by customers in Israel, Caribbean, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Italy and Sweden, plus over 100 in the UK. The diverse nature of the climates and the fuels available means that all of these maps have been custom written for the indivual customers.

We have seen 03 WRX cars with up pipe cats and without. Most have an up pipe cat.
Old 17 October 2003, 12:25 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete, will get in touch soon to place an order