Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Changing from PPP to Ecutek

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 10:45 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK 99 Turbo.

How easy is it to change from a Prodrive ECU to a Ecutek ECU, and if i kept the prodrive exhaust, how much extra power would the Ecutek deliver ?

[Edited by PPPscooby - 10/14/2003 10:45:49 PM]
Old 15 October 2003, 09:54 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

You dont have to change you ECU as Ecutek just reprogramme the original software.
My advice would be to sell your PPP Ecu as a complete item and swap with the buyer for there standard ECU.
That way you will make some cash back to help pay for the custom re-map.
Then the mapper can programme the standard ECU to match your cars spec.
With regard your exhaust, using Ecutek will get slightly more from your car then the PPP did but if you can remove the up and downpipe cats you will see a world of difference.

Zippy
Old 15 October 2003, 01:30 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

Reason i am thinkin about it is because i have heard the Prodrive ECU looks different to the standard one (havnt actually looked at my one). So if i can get a standard one and Ecutek it, i should get away with not telling my insurance company, and maybe get a lil more power.

Anyone got pics of the prodrive ECU compared to the Standard one.

I should have only 1 cat on the downpipe tho, as the centre one is removed when the PPP back box and cenre section is fitted. Or am i wrong ??
Old 15 October 2003, 01:45 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I think there is one in your up-pipe also,the PPP ecu is only different in that it has an additional board attached to the original Ecu,this is the Prodrive bit.

Zippy
Old 15 October 2003, 07:27 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
stand to be corrected on this, but..
the my99/00 ppp ecu doesn't have an additional board - they look just like the standard board. I think the only visual clue is the 'pink sticker' !? on the metal cover. dare i suggest just swapping the 'can'....

alan
Old 16 October 2003, 08:30 AM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

I think i might have to take a look at mine, anyone got pics of the standard unit so i can compare.

Also if i keep the PPP and fully decat the system, will there need to be any changes to the mapping, or will the prodrive ECU adjust it self, also what kind of power gains am i looking at. At the moment i am running around 236bhp and 240 Lb/ft ?
Old 16 October 2003, 08:20 PM
s grove
Scooby Regular

hi got an ECUTek on an MY99 fitted last week at power engineering,
and a new d/pipe and k&N 265bhp and 250lb, still got the center cat in atm,but will change for a high flow cat from them at some time,just need to save some more cash first

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2003, 12:51 AM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

anyone else, especially someone with a PPP fully de catted, how much power & torque have you got, and did you have to re adjust the mapping.
Old 17 October 2003, 01:12 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MY99/00 PPP uses an STI ECU, which was remapped by STI in Japan for Prodrive. I'm sure one of the EcuTek guys would explain the mapping differences, but it is not an additional board on the MY99/00 cars.

AFAIK additional boards were used in the older PPP versions and the ones on the MY01 cars.

Here's a pic of the PPP ECU that was fitted to my car

I would sell your PPP ECU and use that to fund the EcuTek custom mapping. Get the buyers ECU off them so you can use that to flash with the EcuTek map. I'd recommend getting someone with a AE802 ECU.

Stefan
Old 17 October 2003, 01:16 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've no ide how much extra power/torque the PPP produces. Do a search, there's loads of info on it. IIRC a figure around 246bhp has been mentioned before.

Basically it runs more boost (2-3psi more than std) and I think the maps are designed to provide more torque through the gears than std (so, probably aims at increased boost through certain rev/load ranges over the std AE80x ECU maps).

You would need to get a custom map (Tek3) to see any great benefits over your PPP. And then it would be down to tailoring the map around your existing mods. You should see more benefit out the de-cat via a custom map than the PPP. How much, I really don't know.

It's worth asking someone like Bob Rawle from BR Developments

Stefan