Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

best exhaust setup for bhp increase.

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2003, 12:27 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a wrx classic and wanna get the speeds of the car increased to match p1 0-60 (sub 5 secs) so after a lot of reading on the forums it seems the best way of getting the wrx bhp increase is with playing with the exhaust system. was thinking of getting the blitz back box, but i guess ill need to de-cat system and get a decent down pipe, if i go for this what parts do you recomend for getting the best possible bhp increase, ALso ill add a decent induction kit which is the best one 2 go for? kinda new to tuning the scooby so any help will be good, looking to get the car from its standard 240ish to 290 if possible

Borich
Old 17 August 2003, 10:29 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Smile

right, first start with a Z4 ECU from a 95/96 wrx, that will get the BHP up to 260ps.(around £150)

as for the exhaust go for a H&S open neck de-cat down pipe 3" (£200) and a full revolution 3" system.(around £300 i think)

the filter is up to you, K&N(£100) or BLITZ(£170) seem to do the trick.

also it is a must to run the car on SHELL OPTIMAX and you will not be far away.

hope this helps

Old 18 August 2003, 11:27 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
jonny gav

Is your exhaust reccommendation based on trying other exhaust combinations? I ask this as I'm running a full Scoobymania system (twin dump 3") and am considering going open neck. Also my opinion is that my system is relatively quiter than, say a Scoobysport but if possible I'd like my exhaust quieter still.

I run a 16.5 psi map on a Z4 ecu and seem to get a bit of boost creep and am wondering if a 3" open neck would solve this.

Justin
Old 18 August 2003, 12:30 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

sounds good ill take into consideration your advice, with all that should i have a 0-60 of sub 5?
Old 18 August 2003, 11:04 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jay - this exhaust setup is what i would go for if i was doing the whole thing again, i currently have the H&S D/P but a blitz system.
in my opinion its too loud!

a friend of mine is running the H&S D/P and rev system and its quite quiet, the car is also over 450bhp so its good for power too.

Boric- in my opinion......yes

Old 18 August 2003, 11:53 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

All IMHO, naturally
Not sure it's necessary to swap to an induction kit for that sort of power. Unless you like the noise, that is
I certainly wouldn't go for the Blitz - great airflow, largely because it doesn't bother with the 'filter' bit...:roleyes: K&Ns are an excellent choice - they work very well & I think are the cheapest around too!
Don't get too worried about the exhaust choice. DP is fairly critical - the H&S jobbie appears to work very well in almost any set up, so is also a good choice . Centre/BB - as long as it's a 'straight-through', the main differences are styles/sound levels, or at least until you start getting into rather more power (yes there are differences but they're all very minimal!). Unless you want to go for more BHP later, or like lots of noise, a 2.5" system would also do the job - should be OK up to 320ish+. Don't know how much you want to spend

Justin - I think the ScoobyMania is one of the very few 'real' twin dumps? As in the wastegate exit joins towards the back-end (centre pipe connection)? In which case it should work very well indeed - certainly I'd be suprised if the boost-creep was due to the DP design.
On the noise thing, if you're vaguely in the right area, H&S can make you up a very free-flowing quiet mid/BB - they made me one up after I have tried out quite a few & I find this one perfect! (This is for a 3" straight-through with a BPM twin-dump - very similar to the ScoobyMania AFAIK). Have heard good things about the Revolution too, though, just haven't seen/heard one myself
Old 18 August 2003, 11:56 PM
scoootie5
Scooby Regular

I have found that my Full SS Revolution system has got significantly louder as the months have gone by.

I have had it about a year now and it is getting really loud.

Maybe the exhaust is just blowing

Scott
Old 19 August 2003, 10:35 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Nom and jonny, very informative, thanks

The SM dp is indeed very similar to the BPM one, as in it joins around the bend just before the mid section flange. It also has a toungue for the wastegate housing.

Also, I think my exhaust has got louder, I put it down to a 3 year old backbox coking up - maybe its time to address that rather than the dp...
Old 19 August 2003, 12:08 PM
C
Scooby Regular

All the big power cars run HKS Hyper exhausts

They are the 'straighest' design underneath the car...

Noise wise - one of the loudest as well lol

Couldnt comment about downpipes - most are custom i assume due to larger turbo's being re-positioned

You could also try a 'Pat spec' exhaust - designed pure for power and no compromise - its a tad loud though

Old 20 August 2003, 03:37 AM
roodog
Scooby Regular

if your interested in dump pipes off the turbo click onto this site http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/msgofast/exhaustsystems.html they give good results