Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Power Problems in third and fourth gear!

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2003, 04:35 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi There,
I recently had a full service including new cam belt.

Upon opening up my impreza, in third gear at about 5 to 6000 revs I am getting a quick jerking movement and th ecar seems to lose power momenterily?

This only happens when I open her up.

is it some sort of misfire, as on one occasion it did it for a couple of seconds, and although my foot was hard on the accelerator I was getting no power.

Any ideas

Thanks

Michael

Old 07 July 2003, 04:57 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael

Do you know what the boost was at this point. Going from closed to WOT suddenly at this sort of rpm can cause transient overboost which if high enough may trigger fuel cut, depending on the spec of your motor and what form of boost control you use. If the garage has filled your car to the max mark with oil it can contaminate the boost solenoid and lead to this problem (quite a common one with imprezas, do a search for the cleaning solenoid fix). Check all your hoses to the boost solenoid, wastegate, MAP sensor to make sure one hasn't split or come off. If it's a misfire rather than fuel cut, check all your leads/ plugs etc.

My money would be on oil contamination of the boost solenoid leading to fuel cut however.

Cheers

Simon