Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Do engine modifications.....

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2003, 08:23 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....such as de-cat exhausts, ECU re-maps with higher boost pressure etc, shorten the life of the engine?

I mean can these engines survive 1.20bar + for 60,000 miles ish?

Sorry, should really be in drive train I know but hoping for a wider audience.

Cheers

Old 26 June 2003, 08:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Dunno much but every Subaru car dealer says that these cars are better as standard.Modifications wreck the engines,they say.
Old 26 June 2003, 08:54 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Modifications wreck the engines, they say
Is that before or after they try to sell you Prodrive modifications doh I mean upgrades
Old 26 June 2003, 09:01 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

My RA I have changed the centre and BB but still has catted DP (its the only cat on an RA anyway). Added an ITG and now runs just a tad under 1.3kg/cm3(1.27 bar). Plus its an RA so there are a few different bits on it.

Does depend on the car though but anyone want to hazard guess of its power output ?

[Edited by chrisp - 6/26/2003 9:03:58 PM]
Old 26 June 2003, 09:03 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

[Edited by chrisp - 6/26/2003 9:03:31 PM]
Old 26 June 2003, 11:16 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

the more you stress the engine with higher boost pressures and higher power/ torque, the shorter the engine life wil be.

can't have cake and eat it I'm afraid.

Andy
Old 27 June 2003, 02:50 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Yep goes without saying... the car was designed the way it was for a reason... as soon as you start playing with things the engine life will certainly shorten
Old 27 June 2003, 07:13 PM
stellaFella
Scooby Regular

you want your engine to last buy a Peugeot diesel.
Old 27 June 2003, 08:17 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that Suabru engines, like other manufacturers have tolerance thresholds much higher than is expected of them through normal use. Common sense would suggest that more power = more stress therefore engine life would shorten. Less miles out of clutch, tyres, turbo etc.

In my opinion taking a scooby up to nearly 300bhp should not be a problem if your mechanicaly sympathetic. Look at Ford Cosworths. I heard they were designed to handle 350bhp + without breaking a sweat, Fords waranty department spat their dummies out over possible failures and they were dropped to 225bhp
Old 27 June 2003, 09:02 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

My 350BHP STI4 is still going strong at 79K miles.
It's actually getting quicker and feeling better as it gets older.
The only problem I have is that it has a bit of piston slap on startup, but that's been happening since I had the cylinder head ground after a gasket died.
However, I have a lot of mechanical sympathy and always warm it up and cool it down appropriately.
Old 27 June 2003, 09:52 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Sheepsplitter,
Long time no hear, still got the Gixxer thou?
I flogged my CBR to buy a MY00 and am now bike less for the first summer in about 6 yrs
c u around
dan

Old 27 June 2003, 10:21 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Hi Dan,
GSXR is still going well.
Need to get out on it more though.
Too many toys to play with:-
STI4
GSXR1000
Civic Type-R

Decisions, decisions :-)

Sorry to hear your bikeless.
Hope it's not a long term thing.

Take care mate.
Old 28 June 2003, 07:46 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Danny B, I doubt you are running at 1.2 bar and holding it for long, of course under heavy acceleration yes, though for normal driving very different story.

So realistically you are not putting that much more load on the car, if you found yourself in the "Subaru GT Cup" and ran your car then it maybe a different story.......
Old 29 June 2003, 08:43 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Xtreeme,
I have just had a EcuTek remap and when I floor it I see 1.30bar + but not for long.
Just curious about engine wear & tear but I should have guessed the answer really.

Cheers
Old 29 June 2003, 11:00 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Ever heard the saying that the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long? It's not quite that simple in this case, but there's certainly a large amount of truth in it.
Old 30 June 2003, 10:50 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

I suspect removing cats increases the life of the engine, as pressures are reduced (the same power is available at a lower boost). An FMIC leads to cooler intake charge, as would a larger turbo, these both meaning - again - that the same power is available at lower boost.

However, running the standard setup except at a higher boost level (such as with the Dawes or other MBC) will most definately reduce engine life, as you're pushing the incy wincy standard turbo very hard, raising inlet temps, promoting det, causing more heat cycling, etc. etc.

Just another point of view
Old 30 June 2003, 12:53 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

This is what Mikewood replies to another similar thread regarding reliability and modifications:
...Stewart

Unfortunately your dealer is not the 'horses mouth' when it comes to deciding on the validity of a potential warranty claim. Changing various elements of the exhaust can have a huge effect on how the engine is working and some are not positive either. I believe that Subaru are now inspecting all turbo vehicles that have engine related warranty claims.

Changing the downpipe design, whether there is a catalyst fitted or not may allow boost to rise quicker than the ECU is mapped for with huge implications for engine safety.

Similarly changing the spec of a car fitted with a performance package may give other problems that may not be immediately apparent. One thing that most people would not even think about is actually a common scenario with taking WRX models further than the PPP takes it. The injectors are getting close to 100% duty cycle and as they get closer to these figures they start to work less efficiently which means the mixture could be getting leaner than is strictly 'safe' for long term durability. This is great for power as it picks up slightly as the mixture leans out, hence the apparently good results by changing up-pipe and downpipe. The problem comes when there is anything that the ECU doesn't like that causes it to need to run on the high-det map which amongst other things asks for more fuel. As the injectors are near or possibly even at capacity there is no more fuel to give. How many times have we heard 'my car was going really well, just before it blew up!!!'

Reference the exhaust fitted as part of the performance package, the diameter of the perforated tube through the silencer is the same as the bore size of the rest of the system, 63mm. I believe that even the H&S Scoobysport silencer was the same, I'm sure Pete will confirm this.

And by the way, a faulty MAF can quite easily wreck an engine....

Mike
I don't know how earlier spool up can affect engine life except if it's outside ECU's range but in my previous car - a MY00 - with major modifications I haven't had any problem even with full decat + equal length manifold.
I had a lean spot under 2500-2600 rpms only after a new VF29 has installed and not worrying in every case.
Of course I am not expert and say only from my experience.
JIM
Old 30 June 2003, 12:58 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

>Forgot to mention in my previous post that I had also installed a PPP ECU with all the above.