Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Knocklink reading

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2003, 06:42 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Fitted my knocklink as thread on here, turned up to max sensitivity tapped block with spanner as per instructions and lights lit up. Went out for a drive and couldnt get more than one light up (still on max sensitivity) only got two lights right at redline this is on an sti version 1 with just optimax does it seem like its working right?
Old 25 June 2003, 09:02 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Smile

Fill your car with 95 octane fuel. Reset your ECU and go and thrash it. You should get a light then. I AM TOTALLY JOKING BY THE WAY.
Ide check a few more threads on this site for sensor position as not everybody is an expert - i include myself in this statement also.
Good luck
Old 25 June 2003, 09:53 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

S.B.,
Its working ok.
run some OB as a precaution though unless its remapped for UK fuel.
Gradual increases on the KL usual indicate increased engine noise, so are *usually* ok.
Its when it jumps from green to red instantly that you have a problem.

hope this helps,
simon
Old 25 June 2003, 09:55 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add that theres a tapped hole just to the left of the OEM knock sensor, under the intercooler, behind the throttle body, on the block. Bolt the sensor in to it, if its not there already. Don't try and put it on the same bolt as the OEM sensor as the readings can be diluted and misleading.
Old 26 June 2003, 02:32 PM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The tapped hole that RRH is talking about is in fact the one that most people are using as the KL installation position.

Though convenient, is really not the best place for it as it is just too far from the piston area to detect trouble early enough.

Where the original sensor is really the BEST place to get the signal from (hence why Subaru put it there).

I actually had mine on that pre-tapped hole and even with the sensitivity fully clockwise I was only able to get the second green to illuminate with the most abusive driving.

Detonation is progressive and you may not pick up the early stages of it until you are causing dammage to the engine. This is the reason that LINK ENGINEERING allow the end user to adjust the sensivitity upon installation.

There is a reason for setting the KL sensor up at 75% throttle in top gear.

The reason being is that in top gear with WOT is the most likley place for det to occur. Once you set the sensitivity at 75% throttle with only the two green lights lighting at this point, then you are guaranteed to sense any det later.

I have removed from the car the sensor that was sent with the KL kit and spliced the brown wire from the KL harness to the ORIGINAL KL on the car. You don't need the black wire as the original sensor is a single wire sensor.

I have much greater control over the sensivity of the sensor now (I am only at about the 12 o'clock position on the sensitivity pot) and feel now that any amber lights that I get will be a real warning of impending trouble.

When purchasing the KL kit you don't need to buy an additional sensor as the original one is perfect to use.

Does anyone want to buy a LINK ENGINEERING (BOSCH) sensor!!!

Just my two cents worth
Old 27 June 2003, 05:46 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

[Edited by tweenierob - 6/27/2003 5:47:39 AM]
Old 27 June 2003, 05:47 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Gonna reply on the other thread.. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Rob