300 to 350 HP Scooby Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2003, 09:15 PM
Fredysan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys:

I have learned a lot by reading the posts on this list and now there is a basic question for you. I have a MY98 WRX (210 HP Spec engine) which I'd like to "reliable extract" 350 HP. It seem that is possible get this amount of power but here in my country, Chile, Southamerica there aren't a lot of experience doing this so, I'm looking for some experience about this. There are some restrictions too:

1.- There isn's a 4WD dyno
2.- Thus, is not possible make ECU or aftermarket ECU remap... (if there is a solution to make a ECU tunning whitout using a dyno, please tell me!!...)

Any Idea

Thanks in advance and excuse me my poor English...

Regards from Chile
Old 24 June 2003, 12:02 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Don't worry about the mapping - you can only get a base map working from a dyno anyway - engines mapped purely on a dyno don't do to well in the real world! Most maps here are done on road, in 'real time' and take 2-3 hours or so. A bit trickier if you are the driver and mapper, though .
At a guess, the trickiest thing in Chile would be the octane rating of the fuel? Although I have no idea what's available, on the whole any of the Americas don't seem to do too well there
Where are you there? There's a fair bit of altitude, isn't there? In which case a FMIC is seriously important... full decat, a more free-flowing air inlet & turbo would do the job (I can't remember which turbo the JDM '98 has?)
Old 24 June 2003, 12:35 AM
Stevenca7636
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Fredysan,nom is 100 percent correct.Here in South Africa Subaru had huge problems in 1999 with GT's because of low octane(93RON)and high altitude(5600ft).In fact they have replaced or rebuilt over 60 bottom ends because of meltdowns.Be careful with upping boost on crappy fuel it can only lead to a disaster.I would also suggest a fuel system upgrade and definitly a Knocklink.I suggest you do the mods progressivly with a constant view to SAFE power.Good Luck
Old 24 June 2003, 01:49 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Fredysan,

It would be worth speaking to Carlos, who is Peruvian. He has a lot of experience mapping cars out there, and whilst you guys may still be too far away to get together, he will be able to give you good advice.

carlos_hiraoka@hotmail.com

Mark.
Old 24 June 2003, 02:12 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

(I can't remember which turbo the JDM '98 has?)
Since it's a 210BHP model I think it's safe to assume it ain't a JDM and is probably similar to a MY98 UK car, just badged WRX in that market like the Aus models were. Might be making assumptions here but I'd guess at it having a TD04 in which case a turbo upgrade would definitely be required.
Old 24 June 2003, 05:26 AM
carlos_hiraoka
Scooby Regular

Hi there Fredysan, I think I can help u.

Hola Fredysan, soy Carlos Hiraoka vivo en Lima tengo "suficiente" experiencia con Subarus y creo que puedo ayudarte.

Carlos H.
Old 24 June 2003, 05:27 AM
carlos_hiraoka
Scooby Regular

Hey Mark, thanx for the complements, Chile is not that far away from Lima .....

Carlos H.
Old 24 June 2003, 02:38 PM
Fredysan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi guys:

I like the "spirit" of this list, it seems everybody will help you when you need :-)

Well, I think I made some mistake wich have confused some thinks. In Chile The Impreza turbo is known as "WRX" but it isn't the JDM engine (My WRX have a EJ20GNW... engine) so, is a 210 HP Spec Engine. Now, my car have a 2.5" exhaust from the turbo, no cats, a Super Mega Flow HKS filter and a HKS EVC EZ electronic boost setted to 17 psi in the "race" mode. This settings seems increase the power to near 280 HP (I don't have a dyno, but I have the dyno section in scoobynet :-) using 97 RON fuel.

My goal is get 300 HP sooner and 350 HP in another stage. I guess the next stage must be a bigger turbo, maybe a VF22, but this could need a upgraded fuel system, forged internals and remapped ECU.

What are your opinions?

Again, Thanks in advance

PD: For Carlos, sorry but Spanish is my native lenguaje...

Gracias por tu disposición a ayudar, te he agregado a mi lista de contactos del messenger y espero leerte pronto.